"The value of nihilistic thinking."

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 07:22 pm
I believe I referred to more than one member as jackass. That doesn't change that you are lying about my posting methods, and whining because although you like to treat others with contempt, you don't like having done to you.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 11:06 pm
@livinglava,
I’m not even remotely upset.Emotions are a strange thing aren’t they.Robots shouldn’t have emotions.The fact they we all do get upset from time to time is more evidence (to me anyway) that there is more going on beyond the robotic facade.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 04:46 am
@Jasper10,
All I am trying to point out is that if anyone wants to adopt a nihilistic thinking approach then they also might want consider how is it that they came to a cancelling out conclusion without there being 2 off equal and opposite view points on every single thing one can think about.They also might want to consider the possibility that it is because they have 2 off competing computers within their head.I’m not raising this in any way to be confrontational.Its a simple idea that may be right or it may be wrong..I don’t keep raising the God issue...everyone else does.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 04:50 am
@Jasper10,
I won’t go on anymore about this point.I can back it up with more information but I don’t believe it’s relevant to the topic heading.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 05:56 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:
I don’t keep raising the God issue...everyone else does.

Nonsense--you were fine with it as long as you and LF were chatting about it. You don't want to be challenged about it, though.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 06:07 am
We were ?
Jasper10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 06:26 am
@Leadfoot,
No,in fact I was doin my best to keep it neutral in line with the nihilistic posting.I think even your frustrations came out that I wasn’t taking a firm stance in one of your recent comments.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 06:40 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
We were ?

Again, the bullshit here is deep, and very stinky . . . This entire post linked below expands on comments you made in a previous post about the improbability of DNA arising without "design":

https://able2know.org/topic/478796-3#post-7007654

As I said, Jasper here was OK with it, as long as you and he were chatting about it. Challenged to provide evidence for his basic assumptions, he now wants to bail out.
livinglava

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 07:26 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I believe I referred to more than one member as jackass. That doesn't change that you are lying about my posting methods, and whining because although you like to treat others with contempt, you don't like having done to you.

You're not the first person to accuse me of hating others, but that is your projection, which I understand since I see all the hating going on here.

You people who don't understand Christianity don't understand how Christianity undermines hate. We live in sin with other sinners in a sinful world, but we believe everyone is saved, once they finally accept it.

We get pulled down by the negativity of anti-Christians, like you, and that is part of our own sin as well as yours, but any hate/contempt we get pulled into is something we're forgiven for, so we experience it as something temporary and artificial, like a spell that comes over us because we get lured into it by the negative temptations of a sinful world.

Ultimately we believe we are sinners just like you, but we are trying to spread the good news of salvation to you because we're not supposed to keep it just for ourselves and let you wallow in misery, even though you want to.
livinglava

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 07:27 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

I’m not even remotely upset.Emotions are a strange thing aren’t they.Robots shouldn’t have emotions.The fact they we all do get upset from time to time is more evidence (to me anyway) that there is more going on beyond the robotic facade.

That's good. I hope you are able to maintain your emotion-resistant demeanor in this forum, where many people will try to drag you down to their level.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 07:40 am
@livinglava,
At no time did I accuse you of hating anyone. It is par for the course, however, for you to twist what someone else has written in order to dress up your word salad.

Oh yeah, them christians, they don't hate anyone else. No pogroms against Jews, no crusades, no wars between sects who don't agree with one another. Don't make me laugh.

As recently as the 1996, Bosnian Serbs, who are "Orthodox," slaughtered more than 8000 unarmed Bosnians, nominally Muslims, in Srebrenica.
You peddle that holier-than-thou horseshit to someone else.
livinglava

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 07:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

At no time did I accuse you of hating anyone. It is par for the course, however, for you to twist what someone else has written in order to dress up your word salad.

You used the word, 'contempt' instead of 'hate,' but they are synonyms. Maybe you're mind is so caught up in the political discourses that use the word, 'hate' to refer to specific kinds of hate, such as hate-crimes, that you have lost sight of the fact it is just a word, and 'contempt' is a synonym for it.

Quote:
Oh yeah, them christians, they don't hate anyone else. No pogroms against Jews, no crusades, no wars between sects who don't agree with one another. Don't make me laugh.

I just explained to you that Christians are sinners who fall to the temptation to hate like any other sinner, but I also explained to you how we experience as a temporary falling-down because we believe that we are saved and we just have to trudge through this life of temptations and failures before ultimately being delivered from it.

Christians can't be 'holier than thou' because we believe that EVERYONE is saved through Christ, only some won't accept it yet and so they CHOOSE to reject what has already been given to them free of charge.

So you and anyone else are just as saved by Christ's sacrifice as I or any other Christian are; but instead of seeing us all as being in the same boat of getting tempted by sin and falling to that temptation, you want to create divisions and put people down in various ways. What you are doing is condemning people for various reasons, instead of acknowledging that we are ultimately saved from condemnation despite how bad we are.

nacredambition

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 07:57 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
We can’t get a way from the overwhelming evidence for design in creation and the non existent evidence supporting all the slowly morphing creatures in the supposed billions of years rock formations.I do go off facts and not fantasies.

Thank you for sharing the overwhelming evidence.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 08:22 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:
We can’t get a way from the overwhelming evidence for design in creation and the non existent evidence supporting all the slowly morphing creatures in the supposed billions of years rock formations.I do go off facts and not fantasies.

Evolution is part of the ongoing process of creation/design happening within the creation, imo.

You say there's no evidence for 'slowly morphing creatures,' but don't you see all the variations that emerge even just within individuals born from the same parents?

For there to be radical changes in species, there have to be mass die-offs, where only certain species survive and not others, so those that survive expand to fill the niches left by the species that perished and/or the environment changes in ways that change the niches available.

Think of the story of Noah's flood: all the humans, animals, plants, etc. that couldn't survive underwater drowned in the flood, except those that survived on the ark and/or maybe there were some other islands elsewhere where some survived before the water receded.

So once the water receded, there was lots of vacant land for Noah's offspring to repopulate along with all the species he had saved in the ark. So as all those offspring "are fruitful and multiply," they are going to diversify and adapt to different conditions and niches wherever they migrate, and species are going to grow more diverse, and if there was some other cause for a die-off, such as a harsh winter, then the ones that are better adapted to surviving the winter by their traits/behaviors/culture/etc. are going to survive while others perish.

"The wages of sin is death" is a famous quote from the Bible, and people get defensive about what is sin and what isn't, but really it just means anything that leads to harm/death/destruction. So you can say that species/organisms/people that die do so because they weren't adapted to survive whatever conditions killed them. Our egos want to get defensive and say that it's not people's fault that they get killed or have a certain disease or whatever, but personal failures are just one type of sin, when you define sin as anything that causes death/harm/destruction, then you can see that bad choices are just one subset of sin overall and that surviving sin allows organisms to reproduce and thus continue their lines/species.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 08:28 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

Leadfoot quote:
“We were ?“

Setanta replied:
Again, the bullshit here is deep, and very stinky . . . This entire post linked below expands on comments you made in a previous post about the improbability of DNA arising without "design":

https://able2know.org/topic/478796-3#post-7007654

As I said, Jasper here was OK with it, as long as you and he were chatting about it. Challenged to provide evidence for his basic assumptions, he now wants to bail out.

I’m calling you out Setanta.

Unless you want to say that 'design' = 'God', you are full of **** here.

And what’s that **** about having to defend history of Christianity in order to talk about Anything. What a POS dodge.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 08:47 am
@livinglava,
You're lying again, contempt and hatred are not synonymous. What was it Olivier said to you? Something about cheating when you make up your own definitions?

Temporary? Christians have been slaughtering those who are not christians, and one another, for 2000 years.

What rank hypocrisy you peddle when **** like this: " . . . want to create divisions and put people down in various ways." That's something else christians have been doing for 2000 years. Saved? No thanks, apart from not wanting to spend eternity stroking the ego of your puerile, narcissistic "god," christians are not the kind of people with whom I want to associate. Luckily, you're peddling bullshit, there is no afterlife, so at least when I die I'll no longer be bothered by the pious hypocrites of religions.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 08:51 am
@Leadfoot,
If anyone needs calling out, it's you. If anyone here is full of ****, it's you. The big piece of **** dodge here is that vague horseshit religionists trot out when they say they don't know who the designer might be. A pack of liars.

I'm not saying that anyone has to defend the history of christianity. I am calling bullshit when your girlfriend LL talks about hate and salvation.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 09:31 am
@livinglava,
If everything evolved from a slithery thing that is supposed to have come out of the sea and into all the animal types,my point is there must be billions of evidences in the supposedly billions of years of rock formations that support all the very slow stages of transitions into all the different animal types.Things don’t live forever, they die.We should tripping over the evidences in geological records.There is nothing...zilch.When you look at all the complexities of of design in creation i.e.technology that man isn’t even close to understanding well, I rest my case.This has got nothing to do with is there a God...isn’t there God so let’s not go there.To me this is just plain facts/evidences.We are being sold a pup where evolution is concerned,definitely in my view.
livinglava

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 10:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're lying again, contempt and hatred are not synonymous. What was it Olivier said to you? Something about cheating when you make up your own definitions?

You can split any hair into two different hairs if your blade is sharp enough, but it's still splitting-hairs.

Quote:
Temporary? Christians have been slaughtering those who are not christians, and one another, for 2000 years.

It's temporary at the level of the individual falling to temptation. Christians also slaughter each other and tempt each other into other sins, i.e. because they/we are sinners. The thing that differentiates Christians from other sinners is that we believe in forgiveness and salvation through Christ.

Quote:
What rank hypocrisy you peddle when **** like this: " . . . want to create divisions and put people down in various ways." That's something else christians have been doing for 2000 years. Saved? No thanks, apart from not wanting to spend eternity stroking the ego of your puerile, narcissistic "god," christians are not the kind of people with whom I want to associate. Luckily, you're peddling bullshit, there is no afterlife, so at least when I die I'll no longer be bothered by the pious hypocrites of religions.

well, you live in unforgiveness toward Christians and God-only-knows who else; so that is a little bit of hell for you while you are still alive, isn't it?
livinglava

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 10:08 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

If everything evolved from a slithery thing that is supposed to have come out of the sea and into all the animal types,my point is there must be billions of evidences in the supposedly billions of years of rock formations that support all the very slow stages of transitions into all the different animal types.Things don’t live forever, they die.We should tripping over the evidences in geological records.There is nothing...zilch.

Well, think about it. You have frogs going in and out of ponds all the time but do you find frog skeletons everywhere? No, they decompose. Fossils only happen when the impression an animal's remains make in mud are preserved as the mud hardens. If the mud gets churned up or doesn't harden before the body/bones decompose, there won't be any fossil evidence of what sunk into the mud.

Quote:
When you look at all the complexities of of design in creation i.e.technology that man isn’t even close to understanding well, I rest my case.This has got nothing to do with is there a God...isn’t there God so let’s not go there.To me this is just plain facts/evidences.We are being sold a pup where evolution is concerned,definitely in my view.

There's no natural explanation for design besides evolution. God is just personification of the power of the universe. The power of the universe is how everything happens because everything that happens is by definition the universe. It is a tautology.