"The value of nihilistic thinking."

Jasper10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 12:45 pm
@livinglava,
Read 2 Corinthians 5, just found it.I knew something had to be there somewhere.I was not surprised when I found it....pleasantly surprised I have to admit... I agree with this view.
livinglava

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 12:51 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Read 2 Corinthians 5, just found it.I knew something had to be there somewhere.I was not surprised when I found it....pleasantly surprised I have to admit... I agree with this view.

Yes, salvation is a guarantee, as long as you don't deny that it's a guarantee.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 12:54 pm
@livinglava,
Very interesting.Thankyou.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 01:40 pm
@Jasper10,
My view is that when it comes to the biological computers in our head the computers can agree to agree with each other (1,1) OR they can have doubts (1,0 / 0,1) and battle with the issue OR the computers can disagree to disagree with each other (0,0).The (0,0) can flip to (1,1) and the (1,1) can flip to (0,0).Any information can be inputted into these computers.My view is that we are not these computers.We are spiritual beings that need to recognise that this is how our physical brain works.We interact with these computers.They should not dictate to us ..we should dictate to them.At a spiritual level if a kingdom is divided against itself it will fall.
livinglava

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 01:54 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

My view is that when it comes to the biological computers in our head the computers can agree to agree with each other (1,1) OR they can have doubts (1,0 / 0,1) and battle with the issue OR the computers can disagree to disagree with each other (0,0).The (0,0) can flip to (1,1) and the (1,1) can flip to (0,0).Any information can be inputted into these computers.My view is that we are not these computers.We are spiritual beings that need to recognise that this is how our physical brain works.We interact with these computers.They should not dictate to us ..we should dictate to them.At a spiritual level if a kingdom is divided against itself it will fall.

At the spiritual level, we just observe what's going on, including our minds and interactions. A faithful mind is trying to do what's best to serve the will of God, i.e. to help His will "be done on Earth as it is in heaven," but we have to realize that we are not God and the things we think we are doing to serve His will can be wrong and/or backfire because they are being done by imperfect beings in an imperfect world. Still, if we don't do our best to try to do whatever we believe is right, then we are giving into something that is less than our most faithful service to Truth.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 02:13 pm
@livinglava,
I agree one needs to be very careful what one thinks.Everyone is on their own unless they choose not to be.
0 Replies

popeye1945

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 04:07 pm
@jufa,
Nihilistic thinking for the most part is a disfunctional , if not anti life proposition, however, in considering the barrenness of this outlook has made me realize that in fact the physical world is indeed meaningless. That said, it also makes me aware that meaning is bestowed upon the physical world by biological consciousness and at that, one becomes aware that humanity is free to value what it finds most life supporting. deed our biology is the interpreter of the physical world and its meaning to our biological selves, values are not written in stone, but can be morally, emotionally and intellectually selected. All meaning is biologically determined.
Jasper10

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2020 02:53 am
@popeye1945,
Your GUESS is that All meaning is biologically determined.You cannot possibly KNOW with certainty that your statement is true.You can HOPE it to be true as much as you like...It might not be true.
popeye1945

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 01:29 am
@Jasper10,
All that is known is known cognitively, there simply is not another manner of knowing.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:13 am
@popeye1945,
You can't possibly know that to be DEFINITIVELY true.....How can you? you would need to PROVE it which you can't.....you know this as well...

i.e. we all know that we don't know whether there is a God or not.

You therefore make a foolish statement.

You need to be more balanced with your views otherwise you only deceive yourself.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:37 am
@Jasper10,
If you want to go the cognitive route then fine but consider all possibilities of that route......if we are only going to consider the biological reasonings then they will always...always cancel out ...hence why people arrive at the nihilistic view point...

where they go wrong is that they then deduce...

AND THEREFORE THERE IS NO GOD...

but they could also deduce...

AND THEREFORE THERE IS A GOD...

Why? because there is the possibility that it is only the biological reasonings that have cancelled themselves out....NOT the real YOU.
Jasper10

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2020 02:41 am
@Jasper10,
Mean't to add that this is where Buddhism gets it wrong...Buddhism mistakenly thinks that we are nothing more than the 2 off biological reasonings that cancel out hence why they deduce that there is no SELF.
Jasper10

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 07:08 am
@Jasper10,
Why does nihilism have to be NEGATIVE????? ...there is nothing to be found in NEGATIVE nihilism...What about POSITIVE nihilism?????......there is everything to be found in that.....In other words there is a positive and negative outcome to NEUTRALISM...do you believe this?
0 Replies

popeye1945

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 02:51 pm
@jufa,
jufa, The value of nihilistic thinking is to underline the basic fact that the physical world itself is meaningless, that all meaning is bestowed upon the physical world by biological consciousness, that Eden is, or can be if your wise, in which you value. It underlines a freedom which is as freeing as it is frightening to humanity.
0 Replies

popeye1945

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 04:11 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper, I am speaking of apparent reality, our everyday experience, seeing as god is not part of our experience of the physical world, I would say that my statement stands on pretty firm ground.
Jasper10

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 04:28 am
@popeye1945,
Well as you cannot provide definite proof that you are right or wrong and neither can I, you still need to accept that your views are HOPEFUL views at the end of the day. This is TRUTH/FACT and you know it is.
popeye1945

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 01:32 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper, Is seeing god a part of your everyday experience?
Jasper10

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 02:21 pm
@popeye1945,
Well let’s just say that as no one can provide definitive proof that God exists or not and they can’t... I was persuaded that I needed to be born of the spirit just as Jesus said.I am persuaded that the spirit brings one into all truth.I am persuaded that one can have a personal relationship with the living God and I have no need of any proof that he exists because I am persuaded that he does.I am persuaded that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom and I am persuaded that there are God rules and always have been and I know I can’t keep them perfectly which I know I would need to in order to have a relationship with God.I am persuaded that the only reason that I can have a personal relationship with God is because Jesus paid the price for every time I did not keep his rules perfectly.I am eternally grateful to Jesus that he was prepared to do what he did for me.
popeye1945

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 09:24 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper, Sorry but I don't come hear to talk mythologies. The basic fact is god is not experienced as being part of our everyday apparent reality, so it is a little off topic.
Jasper10

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 02:28 am
@popeye1945,
With all due respect..you can only HOPE that God is not experienced as being part of our everyday apparent reality.