"The value of nihilistic thinking."

Jasper10

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 05:49 am
@Setanta,
I dont see any issue with what you say at all...if that’s the outcome of your reasonings due to your thought processes.Theoretically though, if there are 2 off competing views in our theoretical biological computer system i.e.our overall physical brain then maybe from practical experience (we have to be totally honest with yourself) the conclusion one computer has come to is always challenged with an opposite conclusion from the other computer.Maybe you are only listening to the conclusions of just one computer?....Theoretically speaking for nihilistic thinking to work equal and opposite views need to be balanced out.
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 05:54 am
@Jasper10,
I don't know why you keep banging on about this. I see no value at all in nihilistic thinking. You need to find another foil for your discussion.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 06:18 am
@Setanta,
Apologies...It wasn’t my intention to upset you at all.Nihilistic thinking does have its value in my opinion.Im not using any foils whatsoever I’m just putting forward a theoretical view which appears to have hit a nerve with you.I’ll move on.We don’t have to agree.We can politely agree to disagree.Thanks for the discussions anyway.
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 06:38 am
@Jasper10,
No nerve was hit--I simply have zero interest in any putative "god" or "gods," and no respect for nihilism. Don't take it personally, it's not meant that way.
0 Replies

lifeismeaningless

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 12:27 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Here's the sleaze--by cutting up my post, you attempt to make it appear that I was saying... There is no more sleazy a technique than to chop up someone's post in a manner which creates a false impression of what that someone has written.

So... showing your own words and responding to them in the manner in which this site is specifically built to do is 'sleazy' according to you?

Laughing Drunk

So, you're so intellectually dishonest that you won't even take responsibility for your own words?

I think that's all I need to know about you.

I'm wondering though, could you please enlighten me as to your scientific credentials? How many doctorates do you have, and in which fields?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/101027-science-space-universe-end-of-time-multiverse-inflation/

https://www.livescience.com/65299-how-will-the-universe-end.html

https://interestingengineering.com/one-day-the-universe-will-end-researchers-have-a-couple-ideas-of-how-it-will-happen
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 12:30 pm
@lifeismeaningless,
I have no interest in conversing with intellectually dishonest sleaze bags. Talking about "objectively meaningless" anything is pure idiocy. Get over it.
lifeismeaningless

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 12:40 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sorry, what are your doctorates in? You still didn't tell me.

I'm sorry that logic is so difficult for you. Perhaps you could take some adult education classes at the local community college to give you a basic understanding of what a sound argument is. Laughing
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 08:53 pm
@Jasper10,
Hello, welcome to able2know and thanks for your thought provoking contribution.

Quote:
My view is that nihilistic thinking MAY just be an individuals desperate way of trying to disprove the possibility that there is a God.Nobody can prove categorically that there isn’t a God with or without nihilistic thinking so depending upon ones view we can only ever have hope that there is or isn’t a God.

To summarise the syllogism:

1. Nihilism may be an attempt by some people to disprove gods exist

2. No-one can prove or disprove gods exist.

3. We can only hope that gods either exist or do not.

While the first two statements may be true they do not lead logically to the conclusion that you deduce.

"Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ(h)ɪlɪzəm, ˈniː-/; ) is the point of view that suspends belief in any or all general aspects of human life, which are culturally accepted. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not exist at all. Nihilism may also take epistemological, ontological, or metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or reality does not actually exist.

The term is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence that one may develop upon realising there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws.[2]

Nihilism has also been described as conspicuous in or constitutive of certain historical periods. For example, Jean Baudrillard and others have called postmodernity a nihilistic epoch[3] and some religious theologians and figures of religious authority have asserted that postmodernity[4] and many aspects of modernity[5] represent a rejection of theism, and that such rejection of theistic doctrine entails nihilism."
Jasper10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 08:31 am
@ascribbler,
As I have said in previous posts I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with nihilism.I think it does apply in a certain context.My real interest though is consciousness states and how we as unique individuals interact with consciousness states/our physical bodies and how this relates to nihilism.My views are seriously outside the box,I believe we have to seriously stretch our minds to the next level to try and understand consciousness.With this in mind we have to take our real selves outside of our physical bodies (figuratively speaking).My view is that there are two distinct consciousness states autopilot (stuck in your head) and manual ( in the moment/not stuck in your head).The manual state of consciousness is more of a united/in synch consciousness state whereas autopilot is a lesser state (gone missing/stuck in your head/less aware state).My view is that our consciousness becomes split between the left and right side of our brains when we drift into the autopilot state to engage in thought.The problem with this is that if we remain in autopilot all the time then we become subject to machine like thinking I.e. 2 off computers that ultimately cancel each other out in thought battles .....hence Nihilism.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 12:39 pm
@Jasper10,
I’ll give this some thought.

Up until recently (last decade or so), I did not even believe that nihilistic thinking actually existed. I was seriously shocked when confronted with the reality that it did. I was forced to consider the possibility that humans were not all alike in some fundamental way.
Jasper10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 12:59 pm
@Leadfoot,
Oh yes...Nihilistic thinking is out there and always has been.The 2 off lifeless biological computers within your head are the great pioneers of it.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 03:43 pm
@Jasper10,
So what accounts for any other kind?
Jasper10

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 01:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Nihilistic thinking is when you ONLY go inwards in your enquires....i.e.you only practice one way meditation in order to confirm your fundamental beliefs.One doesn’t recognise self in these enquiries in fact quite the opposite....one ultimately comes to the conclusion that the one doing the enquires I.e. YOU doesn’t even exist or should I say the computers come to this conclusion and you believe them.This type of meditation ultimately dismantles you as a person.This is because you spend your life only engaging with your 2 off biological computers within your head in double minded thinking in the AUTOPILOT consciousness state.There is such a thing called outward meditation as well.
Jasper10

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 04:56 am
@Jasper10,
Outward meditation has a starting point of of acceptance of the “I am”. The You does still practice inward meditation but only for the purposes of coming into a better understanding of the “I am”.The You is far more interested in the MANUAL consciousness state rather than the AUTOPILOT consciousness state and learns to think in the MANUAL state rather than always defaulting back to AUTOPILOT to think.Eventually both computers always default to MANUAL rather than just one OR both being in AUTOPILOT.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:38 pm
@Jasper10,
Quote:
This is because you spend your life only engaging with your 2 off biological computers within your head in double minded thinking in the AUTOPILOT consciousness state.There is such a thing called outward meditation as well.
Hey, we only just met, so we shouldn’t make too many assumptions about each other.

In my own meditations, one thing has become very clear. I did not make 'All This'. So yes, outward meditation is where the answers must necessarily lay.
Jasper10

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 01:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Apologies for making any assumptions about you personally if that is what you mean.When I say “you” my view is that there is the body...the real you and the i am.I need to be more careful with how I put things across.I did the the inward autopilot nihilistic thinking stuff for years and ultimately it does come down to nullification at the end of the day.i.e. Right is wrong and wrong is right hence there is no such thing as morality/life is meaningless etc etc etc You wouldn’t expect anything else from 2 off competing computers (quantum) would you.Outward meditation is about staying in touch with the body first in the united in the moment consciousness state and then learning to train the mind after
Jasper10

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 01:48 am
@Jasper10,
In other words you go within....learn....then come out and apply.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 07:07 am
@Jasper10,
So when we talk about Nihilism my view is that this ONLY applies to the computers.It does not apply to the real YOU.Weird,In this way you can have your cake and eat it.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:36 am
@lifeismeaningless,
My view is Nihilism is just realism if referring to the biological robot bodies we have and the 2 off biological computers in the head that balance each other out in their reasonings (in my opinion).In that sense, the reasoning that nothing matters is a correct reasoning.However there may be another view (thinking seriously outside the box) that if there is more to our overall make up than our physical bodies and our ultimate ROBOT like thinking i.e. some sort of middle ground then the reasoning that life is meaningless may not be an accurate assessment.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 11:54 am
@Jasper10,
It sounds reasonable, but I’ve never found much value in ‘middle ground' when it comes to binary values, of which 'meaning' seems to be.
'Life' is meaningless unless it isn’t. Can life be semi-meaningful, partly meaningful, a little bit meaningful. Meaning, pregnant, dead, alive; they’re kind of all or nothing.