What does it take to be liberal? (Kicked out of the liberal club).

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 07:14 pm
@maporsche,
Naw . . . Finn's not worth the time. He only comes here to sneer, make snide remarks about others and snarky comments about them. He doesn't participate in the music threads, he doesn't participate in jokes threads or other humor threads, he doesn't participate in food threads, he doesn't give ESL/EFL help, he doesn't offer relationship advice . . . he just comes for the political threads and to spread his nastiness.

Oh wait . . . that pretty well describes you, too, doesn't it?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:29 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Naw . . . Finn's not worth the time. He only comes here to sneer, make snide remarks about others and snarky comments about them. He doesn't participate in the music threads, he doesn't participate in jokes threads or other humor threads, he doesn't participate in food threads, he doesn't give ESL/EFL help, he doesn't offer relationship advice . . . he just comes for the political threads and to spread his nastiness.

Oh wait . . . that pretty well describes you, too, doesn't it?

Ooooh maporsche...now you've been scolded too. Smile
0 Replies

KingReef

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 04:48 pm
So, to be liberal you have to learn to be political and nasty to any opposing point of view, and to treat anything anyone says contrary to your opinion like they are lying.

Is that it?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 04:52 pm
To be in the liberal club all that's necessary is to be an actual liberal.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 05:10 pm
@KingReef,
Yep
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 05:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well stated. That sums it up.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Makes sense, but it would be helpful if you told us what being an "actual liberal" means.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 06:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Can you define that?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:14 am

Liberalism in the United States.

Quote:
Liberalism in the United States is a broad political philosophy centered on what many see as the unalienable rights of the individual. The fundamental liberal ideals of freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion for all belief systems, and the separation of church and state, right to due process, and equality under the law are widely accepted as a common foundation across the spectrum of liberal thought.[citation needed]

Modern liberalism in the United States includes issues such as same-sex marriage, reproductive and other women's rights, voting rights for all adult citizens, civil rights, environmentalism, and government protection of freedom from want. National social services such as: equal education opportunities; access to health care; and transportation infrastructure are intended to meet the responsibility to "promote the general welfare" of all citizens. Some American liberals, who call themselves classical liberals, fiscal conservatives, or libertarians, support fundamental liberal ideals but disagree with modern liberal thought, holding that economic freedom is more important than equality, and that providing for the general welfare exceeds the legitimate role of government.

Since the 1930s, without a qualifier the term "liberalism" in the United States usually refers to "modern liberalism", a political philosophy exemplified by Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal and, later, Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. It is a form of social liberalism, whose accomplishments include the Works Progress Administration and the Social Security Act in 1935, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism_in_the_United_States
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:48 am
@Real Music,
Thank you, Real Music! You have answered the question in the title of this thread. Who would have thought people can do that with a simple dictionary lookup?
McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 07:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Thank you, Real Music! You have answered the question in the title of this thread. Who would have thought people can do that with a simple dictionary lookup?

You missed the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm} BBcode tags...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 07:15 am
It is noteworthy that the whine in this thread comes from someone who has been parroting President Plump's line on many issues. Personally, I ceased to believe he was "liberal" long before this last presidential election.

But the real absurdity is that there is no such club. He makes that claim so that he can effect a pose as a courageous thinker who marches to the beat of a different drummer--all while puking up conservative propaganda and his fear and hatred of women, shopworn platitudes which are all too common among a certain crowd.
McGentrix
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 07:37 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It is noteworthy that the whine in this thread comes from someone who has been parroting President Plump's line on many issues. Personally, I ceased to believe he was "liberal" long before this last presidential election.

But the real absurdity is that there is no such club. He makes that claim so that he can effect a pose as a courageous thinker who marches to the beat of a different drummer--all while puking up conservative propaganda and his fear and hatred of women, shopworn platitudes which are all too common among a certain crowd.

Quote:
. . . he just comes for the political threads and to spread his nastiness.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 09:16 am
@Real Music,
Now we just need to know which qualifier belongs to "liberal club"

Modern or Classical
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 11:39 am
@McGentrix,
Setanta is demonstrating the reason that modern liberals are losing politically on ever level. Liberals kneejerk reaction is to purge anyone who questions any part of the orthodoxy. I question parts of the ideology, so I must be a comservative.

Pushing people out is not a way to win elections. If you call voters deplorable, you can't expect their votes.

I suspect it is easier to be a pro-choice conservative or a LGBT conservative than it is to be a liberal who questions political correctness.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 02:16 pm
@maxdancona,
It is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 07:23 pm
Max peddled that bullshit about children taken from their parents and put into custody, saying that they were unaccompanied minors. That was in the baby jails thread, and several members pointed out that these were not unaccompanied minors, and that that was Plump's false claim that he was parroting. Over the years, Max has consistently repeated conservative narratives such as that. There is no "liberal club," and therefore, no one can join, and no one can be kicked out. It is pure bullsh*t that Max is somehow being punished for being "politically incorrect." In fact, he hardly ever went into political threads, until he realized that people weren't going to show for his women-hating threads. He trashed the thread on the occasion of the death of the gorilla named Koko, for no particularly good reason, but just because he hates being ignored. Now he shows up in political threads all the time because he can get a response there.

McG can say what he likes, disagreeing with people is not spreading nastiness, which is what Finn routinely does. McG, at least, is usually civil. Finn just comes here to puke up his hatefulness. Max just comes here because he wants to be the center of attention. Well, here he is in his idiot thread, and he's (at least temporarily) the center of attention. He should be happy now.

I never have, and never will consider him "liberal." It has nothing to do with any definition of political rectitude. It has to do with his penchant for employing and forwarding conservative narratives.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 07:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Max just comes here because he wants to be the center of attention. Well, here he is in his idiot thread, and he's (at least temporarily) the center of attention. He should be happy now.

You are always amusing, Setanta.

1) The obvious question is why are you on this thread? I obviously threaten you. If I was just an idiot, you wouldn't waste so much time following me from thread to thread telling people not to listen to me. And yet you are here.

2) It amazes me how much my skepticism of Koko the signing gorilla hurt your feelings. It was a gorilla. And it has been debunked by science. There were other people who agreed with me. And, how long has it been now? It is like I insulted your religion.

3) Part of the point is that it shouldn't matter whether you think I am a conservative or a liberal. If you are intellectually honest, you will accept when I make a valid point no matter what you think of my political point of view.

The in-crowd is defined by shared personal animus. If you can label people who disagree with you, it gives you a sense of unity with your ideological group, and it means you don't have deal with my arguments. If really think I am an idiot, you could always ignore me, but you can't because you feel you need to defend your dogma.

There are a lot of people who don't hold a grudge against me. The people outside of your narrow ideological bubble can either ignore me, or engage with me civilly. For some reason you have never been able to do either.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 02:10 am
@maxdancona,
Max, why is it so important to you to be accepted as part of the 'liberal club'?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 07:02 am
@Thomas,
Setanta lies (as well as Izzy and EhBeth and several others). I don't hate women and I have been involved in political threads since I got here. The problem is that they follow me from thread to thread... they are not giving any argument to my points, they have a set of personal attacks they repeat ad nauseam in unrelated threads.

The argument started like this; feminists are women, criticizing women is hatred, therefore criticizing any part of feminism is "hatred of women". I actually have a balanced view of feminism, there are many areas with which I agree with feminism (equal pay, work harassment). But the fact that I question some parts of their political ideology is enough to go from thread to thread saying I "hate women".

They aren't trying to engage in intellectual debate. And they aren't content to ignore my point view. They are following me from thread to thread to make personal attacks. The goal is stifle discussion; to prevent ideas they find challenging from being discussed... by anyone.

Recently one of them followed me to repeat this attack.. to a thread about a TV show. It is ridiculous. I would have no problem if this little clique engaged responsibly. I would have no problem if they just ignored me. They are unable to do either.