My beliefs as a conservative

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:16 pm
JLNobody wrote:
ehBeth, that was both interesting and valid, at least it appears that way from the perspective of my quarter of a century teaching in universities. My main task, as a responsible left-of-center prof. was to require of all students that they document their (ideologically grounded) claims and listen to opposition statements.

how narrow minded of you dooks. documentation of claims, indeed ! typical liberal evil doing...

:wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:22 pm
When I went to university, we were taught that one of our primary goals was to learn to deal with challenges to our beliefs/positions. When debating, we were constantly switched over in our positions, so that we had to learn the strengths of opposing views.

I hope that isn't lost.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:39 pm
Of course, I gave the students the option of pulling out their guns and firing away. The fair and balanced approach to running seminars.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:47 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Of course, I gave the students the option of pulling out their guns and firing away. The fair and balanced approach to running seminars.

yes. and if for no other reason than once you get out in the world you will face opposition to your assertions on many levels. if you encounter an employer who does not agree with, or even want your input, it's not the best idea to start yelling "you liberal!" or "you conservative!".

btw, apologies for the mistaken id, jln. grampa does indeed need his specs today. Laughing
0 Replies