My beliefs as a conservative

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:47 pm
Re: My beliefs as a conservative
mysteryman wrote:
My Beliefs

I am politically conservative. I believe this places me in the minority.

I believe you are mistaken. It would be amazing if a minority could somehow win the presidency and the majority of seats in congress.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:51 pm
Quote:
I believe you are mistaken. It would be amazing if a minority could somehow win the presidency and the majority of seats in congress.

This isn't inconsistent with the conservative philosophy.

Part of conservatism is a desire to hold on to the forms and traditions of the past. This can be difficult to do in a constantly changing world; it seems as if everything is moving so fast, and the old ideas and norms fall away quickly. The conservative does what he can to make sure that those traditions which he feels work correctly are passed on to the future.

There's nothing wrong with this at all, until the conservative attempts to stymie change, and that's where we see conflicts.

I agree with ya, FD: it's odd how someone could consider themselves in the minority when their party controls the Senate, the House, the White House, the CIA and intelligence agencies (which have been purged of 'those who dissent with the president's agenda, don't forget), and the Supreme court.

Or, perhaps, it's an admission that the poster realizes that most people do not agree with the opinions of their sElected leaders?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
Republican does not equal conservative, nor does conservative equal republican...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Republican does not equal conservative, nor does conservative equal republican...

Ok, I agree. But how many conservatives do you think voted against the Republicans in the last election?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:56 pm
It is not a stretch to say that in general, the Republicans represent conservative interests far more than the Democrats do in America.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Ok, I agree. But how many conservatives do you think voted against the Republicans in the last election?

Who cares? It hardly makes conservatives the majority.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
What?

Conservatives certainly have the majority of politicians in power. In a representative gov't, isn't that indicative of a majority of conservatives?

Or are you implying that most of the people in this country don't, in fact, agree with conservative opinion and thought?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Then perhaps you can explain why you believe conservatives are a minority.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:48 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Then perhaps you can explain why you believe conservatives are a minority.

Shocked

You can either be in the majority or not. If you are not in the majority, then the term for that is "minority".

If conservatives are not the majority, then they are part of the minority.

Following the logic here?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:49 pm
Do YOU follow the logic, McG?

Conservatives certainly have the majority of politicians in power. In a representative gov't, isn't that indicative of a majority of conservatives?

Or are you implying that most of the people in this country don't, in fact, agree with conservative opinion and thought?

Easy enough questions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
No, Republicans have the majority of politicians in power.

I am implying no more than agreement with Mysteryman original premise that actual "political conservatives" do not makeup the majority of the voters in the US.

Agreeing with conservative thought does not make one a conservative anymore than agreeing with liberal opinions makes one a liberal...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Shocked

You can either be in the majority or not. If you are not in the majority, then the term for that is "minority".

If conservatives are not the majority, then they are part of the minority.

Following the logic here?

Sure. Now you can explain how you came to the conclusion that conservatives are not in the majority. Try this on for size. Do you believe that there is some other political ideology that is the majority? If so, which one? If not, then is there a group that you believe is equal in size to conservatives? If so, which one? If not, then you are the majority.

I don't understand how we can be reminded in virtually every other thread that those of us to the left of Rick Santorum are out of touch with the mainstream, on the fringes of society, outnumbered, neener-neener we win, and every other thing and then you have the balls to try to formulate a half-baked argument that conservatives are in the minority? Is this along the same lines of the argument that white men are now a minority because when you put all the other minorities together they are outnumbered?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:02 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, Republicans have the majority of politicians in power.

I am implying no more than agreement with Mysteryman original premise that actual "political conservatives" do not makeup the majority of the voters in the US.

Agreeing with conservative thought does not make one a conservative anymore than agreeing with liberal opinions makes one a liberal...

What does make someone a conservative or a liberal?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:41 pm
kitchenpete wrote:
Bookmarking.

I'm no conservative but I'm keen to see a decent debate rather than a slanging match. I hope I'm not disappointed!

KP

Well, it was a nice thought, Pete. Seems not to have come to fruition, however. Pity.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
Let me try again. Here are the beliefs I agree with. The ones I removed are not necessarily ones I disagree with, just ones I can't agree with as written. I've added my own below.

mysteryman wrote:
My Beliefs

I believe the government that governs least governs best, which is the foundation of
conservative adherents.

I believe the words in the constitution mean what they say. I can read.

I believe individual liberty must be respected in order for this experiment in
self-government to continue.

I believe the toll of freedom is responsibility. Those who fail to act responsibly are not
deserving of freedom.

I believe you ought to pay your own way. Charity begins at home, not in Washington DC.

I believe a country without borders will soon cease to be a country.

I believe you have the inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness ?
whatever that may be.

I believe you should be able to have all the fun you want, just not at someone else's
expense.

I believe in equality for all, but not set-asides for some.

I believe in individual privacy.

I believe we should be very cautious when discussing or considering banning things.

I believe it is my job, duty and responsibility to raise my children to be responsible and
accountable human beings.

I believe in leaving this country in better condition when I leave it than when I arrived.

I believe it is my civic duty to stand up for what I believe.

I believe that rewarding people for negative or irresponsible behavior only breeds more
negative and irresponsible behavior.

I believe you are the Captain of your own vessel. It is no one else's fault if you run
aground.

I believe in working hard to implement what I believe.

I believe success is its own reward.

I believe that we have to take into account that not everyone has the same start in life, and we should try to make sure that we do not make things harder for those who already have it hard.

I believe we should not pass judgment on other people without knowing their circumstances.

I believe we have to take care of our children and our elderly if we want to prosper and continue to exist.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:25 am
mysteryman wrote:
My Beliefs

I'm getting a strong sense of Abuzz deja vu here.

I am politically conservative. I believe this places me in the minority.

I think it places you in a group that is one third of the population. Roughly speaking, 1/3 of Americans will identify themselves as conservatives, another 1/3 will identify themselves as liberals, and the remaining 1/3 identify themselves as "independents" or "moderates." The time for the conservative David squaring off against the liberal Goliath is long gone (if it ever existed).

I believe individual liberty must be respected in order for this experiment in self-government to continue.

This topic brings to light the inherent (modern day) difficulty with laying claim to the Right or the Left based on individual liberty.

While I appreciate that you (mysteryman) seek to lay claim to a distinct and pure form of the conservative label, there is little use in discussing "conservative" principles if they are held by only a relative few. To the extent that we can draw a line between Liberal and Conservative thinking, doing so on the basis of purist cult notions is of absolutely no value.

There are a number of Conservative issues which require the sublimation of individual liberty for the greater good of society: Gay marriages is a prime example. You (mysteryman) may have no objection to gay marriages and, if so, hold firm to the notion that conservatism equals libertarianism, but we should acknowledge that an American Conservative position is that same sex marriages should not be legalized.

Abortion is fought, within its most cerebral consideration, on the level of the individual liberties of a fetus, but for most people who engage in the issue (including Conservatives) it boils down to the individual liberties of the mother, and here we have Liberals for and Conservatives against.

Since both "sides" invoke the rights of the individual and the greater good of society, it is difficult for me to see how a perspective on individual liberties is the premise that clearly defines both points of view.

I believe you ought to pay your own way. Charity begins at home, not in Washington DC.

I'm afraid I view this as sloganeering. Charity is a concept that is common to both conservative and liberal world views. The administration of charity is very much a an issue of differentiation, but contributing a share of one's wealth to the welfare of less fortunate fellow citizens is hardly a principle that is either Left or Right. Washington DC is not the only place where public welfare programs have been developed, and the cliche of Charity begins at home is really an uncharitable notion. The problems of slogans.

I believe you have the inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness ?
whatever that may be.

I believe you should be able to have all the fun you want, just not at someone else's
expense.

See comments on individual liberties. This is a fairly glib comment, but the devil is, always, in the detail and the detail comes in with how we define "at someone else's expense." If I think it's "fun" to kill myself (as obviously demented as that might be) would you be OK with it, or would you attempt to introduce the possible impact of my "fun" on others in my family and society? Presumably this means you believe I can have all the fun I desire shooting up opiate drugs. If so, I happen to agree with you, but I would never define this take on the subject as conservative. Libertarian, yes, but not Conservative.

I believe in individual privacy.

See comments on individual liberty.

I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.

Well now this is a seasoning gesture for your post. Spice it up and invite the inevitable, predictable responses.

Good for you though. Having conversed with you on numerous other occassions, I feel certain that should these other people provide you with convincing substantiation of their points of view, you will, after all, consider them and even possibly change your own. Anything less than such an approach is block-headed. However, there is nothing to be gained (and I believe something to be lost) by declaring oneself adrift in a sea of possibilities, unable to form a belief because there is actually nothing more than opinion and opinion is at the merc of variable influences. In short, post modernist thought may appeal to the intellectual laggard, but it is the road to ruin.

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:18 am
Mr. d'Abuzz woke up on the right side of the bed this morning. Very nice posts today, Finn.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 09:04 am
"Conservative" and "Liberal" in their classic definitions are, I think, not useful in today's politcal climate. Currently it is the so-called neo-cons who are the progressives, pushing for positive change, new innovations, new approaches to old problems. And it is the neo-libs who have their heels dug in, and who raise shrill voices of protest accusing the neo-cons of wishing to dismantle all the great programs that eliminate poverty, alleviate suffering, create equality, etc. etc. etc. that were developed by progressives of an earlier age when they were pushing for positive change, new innovations, new approaches to old problems.

I disagree that the conservatives are in the minority. I think the last several elections suggest that the country overall still tilts conservative and this is reflected at the polls. I think not any one of us, however, is all conservative or all liberal--we are all a mix of wishing to conserve those parts of our culture that we appreciate and cherish and at the same time approve of intiiatives to be better.

There are men and women of integrity and conviction at all levels of government. But while the Republicans allow a more friendly environment for those who tilt conservative, and this accounts for their success over the last decade, both Republicans and Democrats are primarily self-serving and bent on their own self-preservation rather than focused on us and a better U.S.A. In other words they both tell us and give us what they think we think we want rather than what is best.

Meanwhile, they keep us in line by pitting us against each other and pushing the rhetoric that inflames and insults and inspires partisanship.

And we like sheep let them.

I think we could be better though.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050308/sack.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:02 pm
Nice reasoning Fin
0 Replies