oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:11 pm
@Brand X,
@SenGillibrand wrote:
Medicare For All is an ambitious goal. But we also need a plan for how to get there, and I have one: Under my transition plan, we'd create a public option and force insurance companies to compete. That's how we can lower costs and get to universal health care.

We already have universal health care. That's what Obamacare is.

Restoring the public option might lower costs. Undoing Republican sabotage of Obamacare would be more likely to lower costs.

I don't see how the public option would be a bridge to Medicare For All.

Although, that's OK. We don't need Medicare For All. What we need is to fix Obamacare. So it sounds good.

I don't like the way this Gillibrand nutcase falsely accuses innocent men of rape on the floor of the Senate. And I bet she supports violating the Second Amendment for fun.

I think I'll have to vote for Trump in the next election.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:13 pm
@Brand X,
@TulsiGabbard wrote:
Trump’s criticism of Rep #IlhanOmar is complete hypocrisy. Trump says “WE WILL NEVER FORGET (9/11)!” Yet it is Trump who’s been acting as al-Qaeda’s big brother and protector in Syria, and turned America into the prostitute of AQ's biggest supporter—the Saudis #WeWillNeverForget

This Gabbard character is pretty silly. Trump attacked al-Qa'ida in Syria, and killed Zaid Khayr in the process of doing so.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
FAUX has been a lie factory from day one.

Nonsense. Leftists just label facts as lies because they dislike facts.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:46 pm
@snood,
Quote:
They have to find a way to strike a balance between continuing to advocate for all the wonderful, bold positive changes they want to make and solidarity with the other democrats.
I like the ideological debate particularly where it pushes the Dems further left than they have been for a few decades. But I've actually seen far less vitriol from the new young female contingent than from others involved in the pro-Bernie camp (or those pretending to be in his camp). My post was mainly intended to demonstrate how simple it is to predict the ways Trump and Republicans will behave in these matters.

And we also have to factor in how the press will almost always carry stories which are written and titled to capture attention and to follow the "horse race" model of coverage - because it is simple and suggests drama.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:18 pm
@Lash,
And yet you knew just who i was talking about. Try using your English knowledge on your students, if your are actually a teacher, and leave us 80 year Olds alone.
revelette1

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:29 pm
@RABEL222,
Try not to let it get to you, Rabel, I have noticed she often ends her post with some kind of condescending suggestion which comes out like a command. There is a saying around my neck of the woods, "She thinks her **it don't stink like everybody else's does."
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:33 pm
@AndrewYang

'Holy cow - we are at 3% nationally in the latest Emerson poll! This was before the Town Hall! We are going to contend for the whole thing. '
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:57 pm
Good column by Waldman on the question as to whether Dems should much bother trying to appeal to Fox viewers and the apparent presumption that Fox viewers might only be tempted to vote against Trump if the Dem candidate is a white male. And there's this...
Quote:
Sanders may feel that chasing Trump voters isn’t a risk for him, because there’s no doubt that his base of support is more enthusiastic than that of any other candidate. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that, if he were the nominee, he’d generate more excitement among the much broader Democratic base than another candidate would. It’s entirely possible that the party as a whole would be more energized by Kamala D. Harris or Elizabeth Warren or Beto O’Rourke or somebody else.

At this point, there’s almost no way to know. But no matter how much you might want to defeat Trump, it’s a much better idea to think about which candidate you like, rather than try to predict which candidate might be able to appeal to some white guy sitting in a diner in Waukesha, Wis. That seldom ends well.
WP
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

...it’s a much better idea to think about which candidate you like...

This is where it will get tough for me.

Right now I like Amy Klobuchar, but when the Illinois primary comes along on March 17th I will be more inclined to choose whichever candidate is more likely to beat Sanders...even if that candidate is my 2-17th choice

26 states will have voted by then, so we'll have a pretty good idea who not to vote for.
Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:18 pm
The upside of attempting to appeal to Trump voters is immediately apparent. What is the upside to ignoring them?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:23 pm
@maporsche,
We're still a long way out. I haven't really begun yet to choose one or even to have any sort of ranking. My preference will be a female. But all of that is less important than removing Trump and decreasing GOP power.
Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:24 pm
'Pete Buttigieg raises $1 million within four hours of 2020 campaign announcement'

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pete-buttigieg-raises-1-million-within-four-hours-of-campaign-announcement.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain&fbclid=IwAR0-IH2DB4sqarMhfPFdLrPROF4r6Gse47NrYNHWhFpW6QTXg-PA0MJjJUg
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

We're still a long way out. I haven't really begun yet to choose one or even to have any sort of ranking. My preference will be a female. But all of that is less important than removing Trump and decreasing GOP power.

Oh, I know. I'm only talking about the primaries when declaring #neverBernie.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:25 pm
@Brand X,
This guy is my current #2 candidate.

#1. Klobuchar
#2. Buttigieg
....all the rest are tied for 3rd
#26. Sanders
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Find me just one ******* quotation from Trump which specifically indicts the neo-nazis parading in Charleston chanting "Jews will not replace us".

Why would he condemn them for something that they didn't even chant? They were saying "You will not replace us."

At any rate, your comment was that Trump was excusing domestic acts of terror. I realize that leftists really hate free speech, but chanting in public is not an act of terror.

Also, not bothering to comment on something is hardly excusing it. I don't bother to comment on all sorts of things. That doesn't mean that I condone or justify them.

blatham wrote:
Find me a single specific indictment from Trump disclaiming the white nationalism of Bannon, Gorka or Miller.

Your characterization of Bannon as a white nationalist is the typical demagoguery that you often use as a substitute for thoughtful commentary.

I have no idea who those last two people are. Given your track record I am certainly not going to take your characterization of them at face value.

As I pointed out above, failing to comment on something is hardly excusing it.

So, nice try. But as usual, all of your criticism of Trump is delusional nonsense.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:38 pm
@maporsche,
That’s no surprise. I can see why you’d never vote for Bern. It’s a feather in his cap.

Buttigieg and Klobuchar are authoritarian types; Buttigieg, with some surprising affinity for strong men, especially Netanyahu. He cheers Netanyahu’s strikes against Palestinians as ‘strong on defense’. (I’m sure our resident Trumpists will show up to approve). So, he’s a little Trumpy —which is always so damn shocking, coming from a gay guy.

On the wrong side of soooo much. I’d been watching hopefully in the beginning. Alas...
blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:38 pm
Benen on the rapid shift in Trump's rhetoric re the Mueller report
Quote:
The president wrote over the weekend, for example, “Why should Radical Left Democrats in Congress have a right to retry and examine the $35,000,000 (two years in the making) No Collusion Mueller Report, when the crime committed was by Crooked Hillary, the DNC and Dirty Cops?”

Trump added in a series of tweets this morning, “Mueller, and the A.G. based on Mueller findings (and great intelligence), have already ruled No Collusion, No Obstruction. These were crimes committed by Crooked Hillary, the DNC, Dirty Cops and others! INVESTIGATE THE INVESTIGATORS! … The Mueller Report, which was written by 18 Angry Democrats who also happen to be Trump Haters (and Clinton Supporters), should have focused on the people who SPIED on my 2016 Campaign, and others who fabricated the whole Russia Hoax. That is, never forget, the crime. Since there was no Collusion, why was there an Investigation in the first place! Answer - Dirty Cops, Dems and Crooked Hillary!”

I won’t pretend to know what’s in the Mueller report or which side of the political divide will be satisfied with its contents. But I can’t help but notice the shift in Trump’s tone.

Remember, three weeks ago today, Trump was asked whether Mueller acted honorably in his investigation of the Russia scandal. “Yes, he did,” the president replied, adding that it “wouldn’t bother me at all” if the full Mueller report was released.

Two days later, Trump added, in reference to a document he had not read, “The Mueller report was great. It could not have been better.”

None of this bears any resemblance to the president’s latest online tantrums.

A Republican close to the White House told Politico the other day, in reference to Trump, “He wouldn’t be bringing this up still if everything was hunky dory.” It’s a quote worth keeping in mind ahead of Thursday morning.
Benen
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:40 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/protestors-pete-buttigieg-palestine-israel-1396475%3famp=1

Buttigieg likes Israel’s big ‘defensive’ moves against Palestinians.
Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:42 pm
If you're going to point out every Trump flip-flop as maniacal ranting then read something into his flip-flop on releasing the Mueller report, you're on thin ice with your assessments.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:00 pm
I'm also beginning to realize that a non-insignificant portion of my desire to see Bernie lose the primary is because I want his supporters to be disappointed. I recognize this as similar to some on the right's desire to #ownthelibs.

I recognize this in myself and I'm trying to correct that desire to something more productive. But, as it stands today, when I think of Bernie losing my first thought isn't "great! a better candidate could be president" it's "I can't wait to talk to my friends who are #BernirOrBusters, cant wait to read Twitter and A2K, and can't wait to see them be disappointed."

This is a flaw in rational thinking and I'll work to correct it; but as a human, I may not be successful in this. It will not keep me from voting for Bernie in November if he makes it though. Nothing will stop me from doing my part to get Trump out of office. I'm a human, not an idiot.