blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:07 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Despite demonstrators’ criticism of Buttigieg’s position toward Israel on Sunday, they also expressed their overall approval of the candidate. “We are all big supporters of Pete, and we believe that he has shown over and over that he is willing to listen, learn, and evolve on the issues,” Ash said.

“We intended our action Sunday to be invitational rather than disruptive,” he pointed out, explaining that the demonstrators got a positive response from members of Buttigieg’s team.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:16 pm
@maporsche,
Yeah. Those sorts of grudges are often a temptation even when we know they are usually counter-productive. I don't begrudge Sanders' supporters other than where they set to vitriolic attacks on other candidates and/or where they hold that Sanders is the only legitimate candidate and where they threaten to not vote or vote Trump if Sanders fails in his bid for the candidacy. That's insane or it's forwarding the propaganda thrust from the bad guys.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:18 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
He cheers Netanyahu’s strikes against Palestinians as 'strong on defense'. (I'm sure our resident Trumpists will show up to approve).

It is good when Israelis are protected from those who wish to murder them.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:19 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Buttigieg likes Israel's big 'defensive' moves against Palestinians.

Sounds good. But does he want to violate the Second Amendment for fun?

I can't support him if he wants to violate the Second Amendment for fun.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:28 pm
Quote:
Ezra Klein
‏Verified account
@ezraklein
The only weird thing about Bernie's tax returns is his evident discomfort with having made money from his books, which is a quirk of his politics, not a problem for him in national politics.
I think Ezra has this right.
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:52 pm
@blatham,
I do too.

Also, I don't care that Bernie has a net worth of greater than a million dollars. Not. One. Bit. Good for him.

What I actually find more telling (and negative) is that the man has made over $4.5MM in his political career (all salaries public record) and his wife has had close to or greater than 6 figure incomes for decades too....but in 2016 when he filed his net worth statement, he said that he only had $400,000, a big chunk of which was an inherited house that he didn't buy or pay for.

This man's personal finances are a mystery to me and I don't understand how a household in the top 5% and with incomes >$250,000/year cannot manage to save more (hell, some) of their money.

Poor personal wealth management isn't an automatic disqualifier, but it makes me suspicious. Maybe he donates 50% to charity...his taxes would tell us I'm sure.
Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:53 pm
@oralloy,
Right on time.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 04:57 pm
@Lash,
Murdering Israelis is wrong. It is just as wrong as murdering any other people.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:00 pm
https://berniesanders.com/tax-returns/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:08 pm
Quote:
A memory hole is any mechanism for the alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing documents, photographs, transcripts or other records, such as from a website or other archive, particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression that something never happened.[1][2] The concept was first popularized by George Orwell's dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, where the Party's Ministry of Truth systematically re-created all potential historical documents, in effect, re-writing all of history to match the often-changing state propaganda.
wikipedia

Quote:
As of Monday, it appears Hannity has deleted everything regarding Julian Assange from his Twitter feed. Hannity used to be quite the Assange fan, even telling the Wikileaks founder that he would make a good guest host for Hannity’s radio show. Hannity also promoted Assange’s credibility, saying that “nothing he has published has ever been false.”

This makes the Assange cleansing of Hannity’s feed seem most suspicious, considering the timing. However, it seems that Twitter personality Richard Feren was too quick for Hannity’s team, and has preserved the pro-Assange tweets for the world to see...
Here

Obvious parallel here. This is what Fox is up to.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:11 pm
A note from Greg Sargent on his Plumline blog
Quote:
Bernie Sanders just released 10 years of tax returns, which show that he has done pretty well for himself. There will be a lot of nonsense about how this supposedly is at odds with his policy proposals, which is weird, since it actually means he’s proposing to tax people in his own class -- himself included -- and that his success has not blunted his drive to do that. -- gs
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:17 pm
How can we identify politicians who believe in democracy? They do everything they can to thwart citizens voting.
Quote:
Tennessee wants to make it harder to hold voter registration drives
CNN

If you'd guessed this is a Republican administration, you'd be right. Not that these people are authoritarian crypto-fascists or anything.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 05:40 pm
By the way, my dude Bernie had the FOX Town Hall eating out of his hand, per usual.

They were boisterously applauding him and what he had to say.
blatham

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 06:15 pm
@Lash,
We of course don't know what percentage of that audience were Trump followers and how many were Bernie supporters.

But anything he can do to alert Fox viewers that they will be better off with generous social programs - healthcare particularly - is more than welcome. We'll have to see how subsequent Fox references to this townhall play out.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 06:48 pm
@thehill

'Rep. Eric Swalwell: "I pledge to lead our country with a team of rivals, a blended cabinet of Republicans and Democrats, not because it will be easy -- and we may have to send out a search party to find more Republicans who can put country over party."
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 08:41 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Maybe he donates 50% to charity...his taxes would tell us I'm sure.

Turns out it’s closer to 1.5%.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 09:58 pm

@KyleKulinski
If you think Bernie isn't doing WORK converting some right leaning fence sitters watching this Fox News town hall you're delusional. Even if it's just 5% of the audience at home it's worth it. This is why you engage instead of shame! #BernieTownHall
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 11:44 pm
Hey progressives . . . don't forget to Lash out at everyone but Saint Bernard.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:49 am
@blatham,
Not sure it's a good idea to "try to predict which candidate might be able to generate more excitement among the much broader Democratic base" either, but my money is on the old grumpy guy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 04:03 am
I agree with this:

“At some point, as with all good superhero movies, the young hotshot who barely knows how to use his or her superpowers joins forces with the old superhero who’s been doing this **** forever. Basically, Pelosi needs to stop hating and learn how to utilize AOC’s enthusiasm, charm and fresh-faced, wide-eyed passion instead of waiting on her to bend the knee, because AOC’s not built like that.”

-Stephen A. Crockett, Jr; The Root
0 Replies