Do you believe in premarital sex?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:13 pm
Calamity, 16 years old is still considered underage to consent to sex acts, (at least here in Maryland)but if the man was married he could have been considerably older than the young woman, which would have added fuel to the fire. We all know that some 16 year old girls are sexually active, and although I think they are a little young to be taking chances with their future, this isn't exactly new. We had a case here in my county where an 18 year old man was charged with Statuatory rape because he had relations with his 16 year old girlfriend. I understant that her parents wouldn't have been jumping for joy, but bringing charges seemed a little over-reactive.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:28 pm
Oh! I thought the limitation for statutory rape is 14 years
and under.

glitterbag, in your case where the 18 year old was charged
with statutory rape with his 16 year old girlfriend who consented to sex, what will happen to that young man? Will he be
registered for life as an sex offender?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:34 pm
CHAPTER 12.1-20
SEX OFFENSES

12.1-20-05. Corruption or solicitation of minors.

1. An adult who engages in, solicits with the intent to engage in, or causes another to engage in a sexual act with a minor, is guilty of a class A misdemeanor if the victim is a minor fifteen years of age or older.

2. An adult who solicits with the intent to engage in a sexual act with a minor under age fifteen or engages in or causes another to engage in a sexual act when the adult is at least twenty-two years of age and the victim is a minor fifteen years of age or older, is guilty of a class C felony.

12.1-20-09. Adultery.

1. A married person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor if he or she engages in a sexual act with another person who is not his or her spouse.

2. No prosecution shall be instituted under this section except on the complaint of the spouse of the alleged offender, and the prosecution shall not be commenced later than one year from commission of the offense.

3. The court shall grant immunity from prosecution under this section to a person subject to prosecution under this section who, as part of a divorce, annulment, or separation proceeding, provides information regarding sexual acts with another person.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
<In most European countries, you can get married with 16.>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
Debra, from this chapter it says ....sexual conduct with a minor
under the age of fifteen....

The girl was 16 years old and a misdemeanor charge for
adultery can only be implemented if the spouse files a
report.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:53 pm
Debra, you've just answered a question I've thought of asking.... in our county, a 9-year-old girl was abducted from her bedroom at night and has been missing for over a week now. Search dogs indicate she was taken away in a car, and with no estranged spouses involved, it appears she was taken by a stranger or near-stranger.

Anyway, a local paper published an article saying there were 50 "Registered Sex Offenders" within 8 miles of this girl's home (49 male, 1 female). I was wondering what, exactly, consititutes a "Registered Sex Offender."

I'd guess these people are mostly NOT adulterers. Either way, it was a real shock to learn there are so many, and this is a rural area! And of course, these are just people who were Already Caught.

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" springs to my mind.... there are an awful lot of scary people out there.

It breaks my heart to read the search posters: "Last seen in a pink nightgown..."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
BorisKitten - I know the tragic story you are referring to and I think it is going to have a very sad ending. My understanding of a "Registered Sex Offender" is someone who has been convicted and has done jail time for having sex with a minor. 50 sounds like a lot, but sad to say it is a common crime. Anyone can contact their local police department for a list and photos of sex offenders in a particular area. I would suggest anyone with children do exactly that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
With as many women as possible, but in today's world, there should be some hesitation.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
Calamity, I need to check that out. I remember the girl's family was out for blood, but I seem to remember that eventually charges were dropped. I wouldn't swear to it, but it was one of those cases that made me roll my eyes and wonder what the hell was wrong with the parents. Nobody wants to see teenagers in over their heads, but nature gave us a sex drive and even if it was my daughter , I'd have a hard time putting all the blame on the male. And I sure as hell wouldn't be headed to court. But in answer to your question, I'm not sure, but I'll see what I can find out.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:05 pm
Since I'm 41 and never been married, you could say I believe in it.
I've had the one night stands that I prefer to do without and I've had my share of meaningful relationships. I very much prefer to save my body for someone I love, but if some gorgeous hunk of man happens to be at the right place at the right time, I may not be able to resist.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:06 pm
We in California have a website where we can search for
"registered Sex Offenders" in our neighborhood.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/ I'm sure this exists in
other states as well.

BorisKitten, we had 2 years ago a case like this in San Diego.
Unfortunatley Danielle van Damme (the little girls name)
wasn't found alive. She was taken by a neighbor out of her
bedroom. This neighbor never had any prior convictions,
not as much as a speeding ticket.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
Green Witch wrote:
BorisKitten - I know the tragic story you are referring to and I think it is going to have a very sad ending. My understanding of a "Registered Sex Offender" is someone who has been convicted and has done jail time for having sex with a minor. 50 sounds like a lot, but sad to say it is a common crime. Anyone can contact their local police department for a list and photos of sex offenders in a particular area. I would suggest anyone with children do exactly that.

It really did sound like a lot, for an 8-mile-radius around a particular girl's home! They showed photos (of the sex offenders) in the paper, which was how I knew only one was female. And that's the kicker, that these are ONLY those who have already been caught AND convicted! I almost hoped the paper made some error, like it was really 80 miles, not 8 (but, I doubt it). Anyway I was kinda hoping "Registered Sex Offenders" would include a much broader range of crimes.

They did have a good article in the local paper today about how to protect your children. I strongly suggest anyone with children learn these tips and thoroughly and carefully teach their kids all about what to be aware of. That said, they might not have helped this girl, abducted in the middle of the night from her own bed.

This being a sparsely populated place, virtually everyone is talking about it all the time. Maybe if awareness is rasied, other kids will be saved. And yeah, I doubt anyone will ever see this girl alive again.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:37 pm
Teach your child to SCREAM: Loud and often.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
We in California have a website where we can search for
"registered Sex Offenders" in our neighborhood.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/ I'm sure this exists in
other states as well.

Browsing that site was a distinctly disturbing experience.

God damn.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 05:16 pm
Green Witch wrote:
My understanding of a "Registered Sex Offender" is someone who has been convicted and has done jail time for having sex with a minor. 50 sounds like a lot, but sad to say it is a common crime

The site CJ listed is called "California's Registered Sex Offenders", and if you search and click some of the offenders, you'll find different kinds. Many were sentenced for "lewd or lacivious crimes against children". But there was also one (a woman) who'd been convicted for "lewd or lascivious acts with child under 14 years", another (also a woman) for "lewd or lascivious acts with child under 14 years w/force" and a man for "oral copulation with person under 14/etc". Does the specification of those acts mean that those who have 'only' "lewd or lacivious crimes against children" on their name do not need to have gone that far? (Not that that would make things much more reassuring.)

Many others again were convicted for "rape by force/fear", rape of their spouse, or specifically "oral copulation with force, violence" or "sexual penetration with foreign object with force".

<getting sick>

Anyway - sex crimes against other adults, thus.

So if BK's state uses the same definition of sex offenders, the 50 in an 8-mile radius could have been a mix of people who did time for having sex or other "lewd and lacivious crimes" with children and 'ordinary' rapists etc.

Dunno that that's necessarily any more reassuring a thought.

edit:
I'm just totally fazed, or how do you say that, by this site. God damn. Never seen something like it. So many.

So many women!

So much concentration in certain neighbourhoods (dont know the place, so I cant tell what kind of neighbourhoods). There's an address there - 729 S Union Ave - thats got 4 sex offenders. Four sex offenders on the same address, in different apartments!

Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 05:44 pm
When I lived in the states I went to the police department to request the sex offenders list, which was given to me for the entire city since I drove a cab and was all over the city and I was shocked at how many offenders there were in the city and in my own neighborhood. I called several of my local cop friends who said that several people shouldn't even be on that list because they were simply arrested for pissing behind something or other late at night after a night of partying. I couldn't believe they would put someone on the sex offenders list for that. I actually recognized one of the names on the list, which was I guy I went to school with and saw occationally in passing. Well, the next time I saw him I had to ask him what his name was doing on that list and he told me that he was partying with some friends one night and on his way from walking home he had to pee so bad that he couldn't hold it, so at 2AM he went in some bushes in the local common to take a leak, where he was arrested and put on the list. I then talked again with all my cop friends who said he was telling the truth and they all agree that this needs to be changed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 05:49 pm
Gets complicated, a 17 yr old having sex with his also 17 yr old gf, mom of gf has a hissy reports the bf for statutory rape (under age 18) he is arrested and convicted and looks forward to a lifetime of being on the sex offenders list.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
Exactly, Dys. That's why this needs a major overhaul.
My cop friends all told me that most of the people on the list I had didn't belong there and were not considered a threat.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
I dunno folks. I dont know what "lewd or lacivious crimes against children" are - that sounds kinda vague - but "acts with child under 14 years w/force" sounds more clear-cut already and "oral copulation with person under 14/etc", "rape by force/fear", "oral copulation with force, violence" or "sexual penetration with foreign object with force" all sound pretty specific to me. And there's an awful lot of that stuff on that map.

Not suprised, of course - at one point I realised that I knew at least seven women who at some time had been sexually attacked, ranging from harassed in a car to kidnapped for an entire night (and much worse still) - and that it meant that something like 3 out of 4 of the women I'd known best had been victims of serious sex crimes. So not surprised - but still shocked.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
dyslexia, Here in Maryland the male 17 year old wouldn't have been charged with anything because he is under the age of consent as well.

Montana, I also checked the Sex Offenders list for my zip code last year and was shocked at the number of violent offenders loose in the county. The Police list the offense and the names and pictures and addresses of the offenders. Thankfully, we haven't started to add public urination as a sex offense yet.
0 Replies