Cavfancier in hospital

jjorge

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:20 am
Glad to hear your doing better Cav!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 09:21 am
well, well, i am glad to read the latest news;
had a busy day saturday, and just dropped by to give my version of the second coming - er that should read my second visit to Cav in the torture... er..., hospital, friday.

I sat with the lad on friday afternoon, prior to Buttercup's arrival, and at that time he was just being primed by the staff to spend the entire weekend on the 'inside' and his mood was in accord (i trifle dark)!

Now that the 'release' date has been approximated, (and Buttercup has worked her magic) he must be grins all over; and that suits me just fine!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
I'm thinking that Tuesday probably feels like a long ways away to you, Cav. All day today, all day tomorrow, and then that wait on Tuesday 'til your doctor comes and signs the orders. To help you pass the time, here's a poem of another fella locked away.

The Parrot

The parrot sits
Upon his perch,
Wrapped in gloomy thought,
And dreams
Of his distant home.

His wings of brightest blue
Are clipped;
From his red beak
Come words of wisdom.

Will they never, never
Unlatch his cage,
And set him free once more?

Impatient, in anger,
He claws and tears at his perch,
To which he has clung
So long.

Will the world of men
Not pity him,
And the freedom he has lost?

Of what use to him in prison
Is his coat of wondrous hue?
Du Fu (c.712-c.770)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:22 am
It was me !! Now I know, the moment Ileft Canada - Cav is ready to come home...

I will never go to Canada again !!!

Cav, Mrs Cav - great news !! Looking fwd to seeing cav back on the boards.....
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:40 am
I haven't noticed this, I'm sorry that I'm late to say this.Come back to us Cav. God knows that we love you.

This sad an surprising.. Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:17 am
nonono Prince

cav is getting better because you said you'd come visit - he's got to get better to receive visitors such as your Regalness
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:09 pm
Wishing Cav & Mrs.Cav a happy Valentine's Day. (Do Canadians believe in St. Valentine's??)

"She saw in him
the wild passion of the ocean
and the bountiful generosity
of the lush rain forest.
She saw hope, she saw destiny,
she saw magic."

He saw that when she bent forward
he could see most of her bra.

Very Happy
0 Replies

pangolin

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:27 pm
Get Better Soon
Smile When I discovered this web site it was your posts that got me to join.

Thank you...and get better

Pangolin
0 Replies

pangolin

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:28 pm
Get Better Soon
Smile When I discovered this web site it was your posts that got me to join.

Thank you...and get better

Pangolin
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 04:18 pm
Hello There we are just craving your recovery.
0 Replies

Mrs Buttercup Cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 07:59 am
STOP THE PRESSES!!
Unfortunately, I have some bad news.

Cav will NOT be released from the hospital today. In fact, they don't know when they are going to release him. The shining beacon of hope they gave us on Friday has been stalled due to, what else, hospital administration red tape. I spent most of Valentine's Day at the hospital and learned more from the clerk at the nurse's desk than I did from anyone else (except for his nurse Alison who totally ROCKS).

Before they can release Cav, they have to set up an appointment with the home care nurse to consult about the type of treatment he will be receiving at home. Before the nurse can come and consult, they have to have a set release date. (You can see where this is going.) As of last night, they did not have a set release date for Cav, therefore the nurse from the home care organization cannot consult with him.

Now that you're all as dizzy as I am, there are a few other things that they are doing while he's still there. They are monitoring his liquid buildup -- if you get grossed out easily, I suggest you stop reading here -- they drained 4.5 litres of fluid from Cav yesterday. He felt much better (ladies, can you imagine if they could do that for us once a month? :wink: ), and his appetite came back (which was lost on the weekend because of the bloating). They have to monitor to see how quickly the liquid will build up again. If it's back by tomorrow, then he's not going anywhere for a while. If the buildup rate is slower, then they may be able to release him later this week.

HOWEVER (get ready for more of the merry-go-round ride), if they choose to release him on Friday night, then I was warned that it is very difficult to get a home care nurse to start a regimen on a weekend. And because he is on antibiotics, he absolutely cannot miss a dose. Therefore, if they try to schedule his release on Friday, they will actually have to keep him in the hospital until the following Monday so that home care can start on time, and there will be no risk of him missing a vital dose of his IV.

Therefore, now knowing what I know (thanks to all of the sleuthing I did yesterday while Cav was being drained), I would pretty well surmise that Cav will not be released from the hospital until sometime next week. The earliest they may possibly let him go is this Thursday, but since they have to monitor the rate of bloating, I highly doubt it.

I just wish someone would have told us all of this last week, instead of me having to put it all together piecemeal (sp?).

So you can understand our frustration at the hospital administration. The only thing that has kept me from screaming bloody murder at the Ombudsperson is that, in the end, it's better for Cav to be at the hospital right now, where if something else should happen *god forbid*, he will be attended to immediately, rather than having to rush him back for another 2 day wait in emergency.

Oh yeah, the other thing we discovered on the weekend is that Cav can take morphine if he is in pain.... Twisted Evil A small dose, mind, but believe me, it's helped!!

So that's my venting for the day, possibly the week. I'm sorry about the whole false hope thing, but we fell for it too. Bloody administration!!!!

*stepping off of soapbox*

Keeping you posted,

BC
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:02 am
Thanks for the update, buttercup. Give Cav my regards.

Gustav
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:07 am
http://sun-e-cards.com/cards/gw_birds.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:09 am
Thanks for the update, Mrs. Cav. I just hope Cav's morale is all right. Last night I briefly saw a Cavalier spaniel in the Westminster Dog Show, and I thought about both of you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:20 am
Yes, thanks for this update. It's not really a comfort when I tell you that here, they most probaly would release you on Friday .... and while walking through the front door they would get the idea that this was abad idea because of the weekend.

All the very best!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:33 am
Warm wishes!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:36 am
Hey, great detective job there Buttercup. I bet that took a lot of doing to even get that much. Geez!

Best wishes to both of you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:37 am
Sorry you're on such a rollercoaster, but perhaps being in-patient is for the best right now. Although getting any rest in a hospital is just about impossible. I hope all goes smoothly this week and Cav is home soon.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:43 am
Uh-oh. I'm really sorry to hear this, Buttercup... and good sleuthing is right! You've probably learned more about hospital administration yesterday then you ever wanted to know.

At least he is getting the antibiotics he needs and... morphine... which I remember from my days of giving birth as, uhm, good stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:34 am
I am chagrined at the lack of information you two were given, and feel badly for Cav for having to stick around there, but I am glad they'll be paying attention to his fluid retention. Hugs to both of you.
0 Replies