Is the US concerned about nerve gas attacks in Great Britain?

georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:19 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I reread Blickers post 3 times and he didn't say your quote directly addressed the 'supposed' (curious choice of word) recent poisoning. You may have just been a tad miffed he presented additional information and misread the remark.

He isn't accusing you of ignoring the poisonings, he's pointing out the situation is far too complex to underestimate or over-simplify. Well, at least that's how I read it, not sure if blickers will agree with how I interpret his post...I'm not his spokesperson.

I wasn't at all "miffed", merely bemused. the question of the post Crimea/Ukraine sanctions imposed by both the US and the various European nations wasn't the immediate point of the discussion at all. Rather it was newer additional sanctions being considered by the U.S. and in the absence of any parallel action by the EU. I also made an effort to view this situation in the larger context of long-term European strategic issues.

I had read that post of Blickers earlier in another thread, and found its insertion here a bit artificial.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:27 pm
@georgeob1,
bemused, huh....how odd.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:29 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, bemused. I don't waste my energy on anger.
layman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't waste my energy on anger.

Yeah, me neither. Well, unless maybe I spot a damn cheese-eater. Then I go kinda hogwild, ya know?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Actually, the Baltic States (part of them) were the territory of the Order of Brothers of the German House of Saint Mary in Jerusalem, commonly known as Teutonic Order. (wikipedia map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Teutonic_Order_1410.png/1024px-Teutonic_Order_1410.png)

The unification of the German States didn't happen until 1871 (and it was only in 1913, that there was a German nationality).

Are you suggesting that the Baltic States should return to the greater Reich?

1871 was indeed long after 1561.

I'm reasonably aware of the debate that went on in (what is now) Germany in the mid 1800s about the large and small versions of the potential new nation. The issue there as I recall was Hapsburg Austria.

I'm curious, just what was it that occurred in 1913 that created a "German Nationality" only then?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:43 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
I don't waste my energy on anger.

Yeah, me neither. Well, unless maybe I spot a damn cheese-eater. Then I go kinda hogwild, ya know?

It appears to me you vent it rather well
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 04:56 pm
Quote:
Police have launched a murder inquiry after a woman exposed to nerve agent Novichok in Wiltshire died.

Dawn Sturgess, 44, died in hospital on Sunday evening after falling critically ill on 30 June.

Charlie Rowley, 45, who was also exposed to the nerve agent in Amesbury, remains critically ill in hospital.

Theresa May said she was "appalled and shocked" by the death, which comes after the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury.

A post-mortem examination of Ms Sturgess, from Durrington, is due to take place and her family has been informed, police said.

The investigation is being led by detectives from the Counter-Terrorism Policing Network and about 100 detectives are working on the case alongside Wiltshire Police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44760875
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 09:24 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
Yeah, bemused. I don't waste my energy on anger.
Or facts either. You don't think the fact that the sanctions the UK, EU and US put against Russia in 2014 which crushed Russia's economy is an important factor in deciding what to do next?

If what you've already done has already hurt the opponent badly, as it has, it is a very possible option that you might decide to just go on hurting him. How is that artificial?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 09:47 pm
@Blickers,
Careful Blickers, ol Georgie might call you a harpy.....because he doesn't waste energy on anger, he needs all his energy for snide and pretentious snark.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 09:51 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Careful Blickers, ol Georgie might call you a harpy.....because he doesn't waste energy on anger, he needs all his energy for snide and pretentious snark.

Completely personal attack. No mention of a topic.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 09:55 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Completely personal attack. No mention of a topic.

It must be her hobby.
Blickers

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:01 pm
@glitterbag,
In fairness to georgeob1, the task he has taken upon himself-defending Trump and his policies-is a Herculean one. And he's not even allowed to divert a river to flush everything out.

When Russia forcibly annexed the Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and fomented and supported an Eastern Ukraine rebellion, the sanctions the UK, EU and US put upon Russia cratered the Russian economy. They are still working. What Obama, Merkel and the EU leaders didn't expect is that the Russians would manipulate social media and other networks to install a puppet for Putin in the White House.

Even so, though, Trump hasn't had much luck taking off sanctions against Russia, so the Russian economy hasn't grown hardly at all in four years. Russians are great at manipulating social media, at least at present, but they still suck at producing finished products or much of anything else useful. For all their education, (0ver 50% of them have a four year college degree), most of them still live worse than Americans on food stamps.

And it's not getting any better.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:02 pm
@coldjoint,
That and thumbing people down.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:03 pm
@Lash,
I'm just giving Blickers a heads up, are you under the impression georgie never calls women Harpy's? I guess you don't remember calling me a drunk on several occasions do you? But of course that wasn't a personal attack was it sweetie. You must have thought it was important and germane right? Sometimes I worry about your ability to remember the things you say, but at least your not snide, you might not be smart enough....but you have spunk or attitude or something.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Same old ****, constantly. You must be obsessed with George. You spend a GREAT deal of time attacking his character to him and to others about him.

Why don't you just give it a rest?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:28 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Are you suggesting that the Baltic States should return to the greater Reich?
It would be the Holy Reich. No, not at all.

georgeob wrote:
I'm curious, just what was it that occurred in 1913 that created a "German Nationality" only then?
From a legal-historical point of view, the concept of nationality is a departure from the narrower concept of citizenship. Might well be that it took these (more than 30) years until the "Reich- und Nationality Law (Reichs- und Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz [RuStAG] became law on 22 Juli 1913.
Besides that, especially the southern countries opposed it (Baden, Würtemberg and especially Bavaria got exemptions related to their relations with the Reich already before)

A great-uncle wrote his PhD in 1914. But even then, he noted in his biography that he hold Prussian nationality not German (he might have started it before knowing of that above mentioned law):
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/iu4Izhg.jpg

Source[/b]
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:41 pm
@Blickers,
In fairness, most Americans don't even remember the Cold War or the Iron Curtain. Most of our citizens are lazy and just are more interested in shows like "the Housewives of whatever" Rodney and I spent a large part of our careers working the USSR. His graduate degrees are in Russian Language /History, mine are in Eastern European and Romance languages. I bottomed out trying Vietnamese, but I tried. We just geared up for the times, Our Dads fought in WWII (his Navy, mine Army Air Corps) but because that was time we came of age. I never fought anywhere, I just got on board with DOD because I believed in the mission.

I think it's true that we took our eye off the ball when it comes to Russia, many of the agreed upon limitations the US and Russian Govt signed, the Russians slowly rolled back. They suspended the Heavy Bomber Long Range Aviation patrols then started them back up again, the same armed heavy bombers that flew during the cold war. Russia still doesn't have the money to keep the aircraft updated and maintained, so they ramped up the skill that has served them so well for centuries. Disinformtion.....and in this era of 'everybody has a political blog' too many Americans are being frightened, or outraged over the fake stuff they read. The Russians are shooting fish in a barrel. And now they are gathering up hard currency but trading with China. Trump is making a catastrophic mistake by thinking the US is the only game in town .
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
has served them so well for centuries.

Really, were the Czars known for disinformation? Communism in Russia is only 1 century old. Shelia Jackson Lee thinks the Constitution is 400 years old. Are you two pals?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:56 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Same old ****, constantly. You must be obsessed with George. You spend a GREAT deal of time attacking his character to him and to others about him.

Why don't you just give it a rest?

Why can't you just leave me alone, haven't you worked hard enough already to provoke me with your baseless insults. Obsessed with george???? Sure why not, george, gungasnake, coldjoint and layman are so freaking smart...who wouldn't be obsessed. Jesus, girl, you might be lonely and desperate for attention but I'm doing just fine, love my brilliant husband of many years, children, grandkids and I enjoy our cars and our dogs, friends and the freedom to travel.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 11:03 pm
Might be time to remind anyone still interested, I was posting my concerns about chemical poisoning in Great Britain. Tonight I learned that another victim has died.....I truly wish we could at least stick to the topic of chemical attacks on our allies. I don't think these two people accidentally came upon poisons that the British authorities missed. But it will only take a nanosecond before the usual character will accuse Hillary or Obama.