9 and 10 year-olds charged with felony for drawings

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
paulaj wrote:
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Really ... Christmas must be a real cardiac event for that lady.

lol! I am enjoying your posts.

Paulaj: Actually the convoluted thinking on this thread is more entertaining than anything else ... if it weren't so disturbing! Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
You got that right.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:26 pm
Exhibit A ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:42 pm
Go on ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:51 am
Yes, that has been a statement of fact and nothing more, you were right, WT.

And I really do believe, the main differences are
a) that we 'handle' all persons with diabilities different (the don't go prison here for instance)
b) that our educational system is different,
c) that all children can't be criminalised below the age of 14.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:02 am
WhoodaThunk wrote:
... Actually the convoluted thinking on this thread is more entertaining than anything else ... if it weren't so disturbing! Shocked

I wouldn't say "convoluted thinking ", WhoodaThunk. I've found it interesting. Comparing different approaches to the same questions, or problems, if you like ....
I've come away from this discussion with the firm belief that responding to violence with institutionalized violence just escalates the problem.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 09:18 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
And I really do believe, the main differences are
a) that we 'handle' all persons with diabilities different (the don't go prison here for instance) ...

"Assault" is considered evidence of a disability in Germany? I'm afraid you lost me there, Walter. Are you referring to the 9-year-olds drawing pictures? I honestly think that situation was an anomaly in the system. The bulk of my comments refer to those kids who knowingly and repeatedly violate the basic rules of society and the adults (parents & teachers) who allow them to do so.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 09:30 am
msolga wrote:
WhoodaThunk wrote:
... Actually the convoluted thinking on this thread is more entertaining than anything else ... if it weren't so disturbing! Shocked

I wouldn't say "convoluted thinking ", WhoodaThunk. I've found it interesting. Comparing different approaches to the same questions, or problems, if you like ....
I've come away from this discussion with the firm belief that responding to violence with institutionalized violence just escalates the problem.

You're right, msolga. "Convoluted" was a poor choice of words. It seems we both see the other approach as an escalating factor in the problem. Likewise, I find "institutionalized violence" to be a rather harsh judgment on the procedures I've described.

The "cuffing and stuffing" end of the process is shocking regardless of age, but (IMO) it is a necessary shock to drive home a point that has been totally lost on these kids (and their parents.) From there, they go to a juvenile facility with counselors, teachers, and all the benefits (believe it or not) of a stable environment. Oddly enough, some kids actually prefer the detention facility to their own homes. That's sad.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:01 am
I was referring with my resonses to the original theme/source, namely that 9 and 10 year old pupils of a special class made those drawings.

Of course, criminal assaults are handled here differently too, either with the possibilities of the Youth Criminal Law (when over 14) or by measures given by the Youth Law.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:44 pm
Yes, the meaning of the original post and the treatment of criminals has gotten mixed up here.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 02:51 pm
Phoenix32890
Veteran Member

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:28 am Post: 1145777 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Montana, that the schools and the parents need to deal with this. What we don't know, is whether these kids have emotional problems, or were simply letting off some steam. These children need to be tested for emotional disorders, not charged with felonies.

I totally agree...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 04:48 pm
... Assuming the schools are adequately staffed, Phoenix. If not, then they should be, so they can do their job properly & not have to resort to unnecessary outside help.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 09:15 pm
Life in the real world:

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/news/stories/20050213/localnews/1985695.html
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 09:27 pm
Actually, the school system where I work is adjacent to the one in the story. Many parents in that city district take advantage of open enrollment to send their kids to our district to avoid the mess described in that story. Like it says, they're in a new $53 million state-of-the-art facility that just opened this fall, and the parents are falling all over themselves to get their kids out. Cuffing & stuffing is a small price to pay to avoid the chaos that's over there. BTW, our school has no "fight-a-teria."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:21 am
I truely believe that the training of anti-agressive tactics and methods works better than having policemen patrolling through dining rooms.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:03 am
I truly believe that once you believe you need call in the police to resolve your school's problems that something is very haywire in the relationship between the teachers & students.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:15 am
msolga wrote:
I truly believe that once you believe you need call in the police to resolve your school's problems that something is very haywire in the relationship between the teachers & students.

I only can agree with that!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:51 am
msolga wrote:

You seem to be quite forgiving of the parents' lack of involvement in resolving the "school's problems." Can't you see what's missing here?
0 Replies