9 and 10 year-olds charged with felony for drawings

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:04 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Kids are not born mean, aggressive or hateful. They are taught that. And a specific school for children who are showing these tendencies is a great idea, how much will it help when they return home in the evening to the same environment that taught them these behaviors in the first place?

Perhaps not, but some show this attitude quite early.

Well, since such schools are really a great idea, of the parents/their home is integrated in as well, e.g. by visits through teachers and social workers.

If such as in the article happened here (and that happens), one of the social workers of that school gets involved, heavily involved, actually.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:54 pm
Agressive behaviour isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, it's how boys establish a pecking order early in life. To deny them that makes for more poorly adjusted males later on. One could write a book "How to make a gay kid".

At least when I was growing up we tried to beat each other up just to see if we could. Usually wound up better friends in the long run because of it too. It's called male bonding, and female social nazis don't get it.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:05 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Agressive behaviour isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, it's how boys establish a pecking order early in life. To deny them that makes for more poorly adjusted males later on. One could write a book "How to make a gay kid".

And we sure don't want a pack of fags clogging up 3rd grade, do we? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:10 pm
I'm just saying, you take the boy out of the kid... you'll be unhappy what you wind up with.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:49 pm
I have to disagree with you there CJ. Boys will be boys is one thing, but when boys or girls start abusing others, the buck has to stop there. No one should have to put up with abuse in any way, shape or form.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:57 pm
WhoodaThunk wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

And we sure don't want a pack of fags clogging up 3rd grade, do we? Rolling Eyes

then you got stick drawings of em raping their classmates...a real mess... Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
A couple of high school kids out here were just ARRESTED for building a snow fort in front of the high school. Brought into court. F'n amazing....for playing in the snow.

I used to draw some twisted things when I was a kid too, and I turned out perfectly normal!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:01 pm
Slappy, normal is fine, but I love your extraordinariness!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:06 am
Here's another hypothetical ... 15-year-old girl has crush on 15-year-old boy. He's not interested. She finally realizes this, feels hurt, and starts verbally harassing him off school property. He tells her (also off school) if she doesn't stop, he'll "kill her." She tells her parents. Parents call police. Police warn 15-year-old boy.

The next day at school, the girl tells the principal the boy made a neck-slashing gesture to her in the hall between classes. He admits to doing this, but claims it was harmless.

Appropriate reaction by school?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:02 am
Talk to the boy to hear his side of the story. Ask for witnesses. Then consider the best way to proceed.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:41 am
When bigger and better mountains are built from the substance of molehills, the beaurocracies that be will build them.

1) Drawing pictures of what one would like to do is a form of sublimation, i.e. you draw the picture instead of doing the deed.

2) Drawing pictures is often considered a form of therapy in psychiatric circles.

3) Drawing pictures is an activity not covered by any laws that I am aware of. When I was that age, I used to draw incessant series of pictures of cowboys (with blazing guns), knights in shining armor (fighting and kiling each other), duelists (stabbing each other with sharp rapiers). football players and boxers and hockey players beating each others' brains out etc. etc. etc.

4) Drawing pictures does not constitute a threat on anyone's life under the law, to the best of my knowledge.

Oh, hell. I could go on. But it's too silly for words.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:46 am
Quote:
Drawing pictures of what one would like to do is a form of sublimation, i.e. you draw the picture instead of doing the deed.

M.A. Absolutely right. I suppose officials would have preferred that the kids held the hostility in, and then "let 'er rip", when the frustration became unbearable!

Now what have those kids learned, by being charged with a crime? That one must not let anyone know, when they are feeling very,very angry. Great! Evil or Very Mad

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:51 am
As usual, Phoenix, I am in total agreement with you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:52 am
As I said earlier, Phoenix, I doubt that that's all they got up to!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:57 am
msolga wrote:
As I said earlier, Phoenix, I doubt that that's all they got up to!

Could you tell, why you doubt that?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:08 am
repeat post deleted
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:08 am
Walter

Because I'm a teacher & have seen a lot of bullying over the years. Admittedly in Oz & not in the US where this incident happened. Schools just don't contact the police (nor do the police arrive & arrest a young person, heaven forbid!) simply because of a couple of graphic violent drawings. Sure, the drawings sound pretty offensive, but you see stuff like this often, unfortunately. I'd strongly suspect that the drawings would be perceived as a real threat of violence after possibly an extended period of serious bullying that the school & the bullied student's parents felt they no longer could deal with themselves. And maybe the students have been through counselling, anger management stuff & had not modified their behaviour. Who knows? Those details aren't in the article.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:11 am
msolga- True, that this is not much information, besides the reports of the drawings. I would assume, that because of their age, had there been any other problems with these kids, the public would not be privy to the information, and rightly so!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:17 am
Agreed, Phoenix, it's not appropriate for the public to have access to private information like that. However, the article suggested, I thought, that the police arrested the 2 boys simply because of violent drawings. It's never that simple. All I'm saying is that we can't know the full story.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:18 am
msolga- From the stories that I have read, apparently the kids were using the drawings to intimidate another classmate.
0 Replies