Anyone interested in Chinese?

cyanine

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:39 am
Smile
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
pragmatic wrote:

That is also an exageration and off the point. One does not point to his victim and say "You're family haven't solved their own internal crisis so until you have, don't come and seek me out for compensation for the wrongs I have committed to you." The point is that Japan has done wrong to China and its up to them to right their wrongs - what does China's own internal history have to do with Japan?

PS - CI: thanks for putting up this post but maybe you meant to post it on the "China's relations with Japan and Korea" thread by able2know_wong? Probably more appropriate. :wink:

Agreed.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 01:27 pm

Yes, I find this one a very fascinating topic and interesting read, thanks.
0 Replies

iscia

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:50 pm
hello!!i'm a chinese girl.so happy to see so many people like chinese.thank u !!
and if u have any problems in chinese or china culture,dont hesitate to write me!my email is
[email protected]
i'd like to help.Smile
0 Replies

iscia

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:58 pm
chinese characters has two kinds,simplified characters and the traditional one.in the mainland,we use the simplified chinese characters,but in HongKong or Taiwan,they use traditional chinese characters.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:15 pm
iscia do you speak any Chinese?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:16 pm
iscia do you speak any Chinese?

If you know Cantonese please let me know and I hope we can talk, thanks.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:04 pm
Hi!
The chinese language is so difficult, isn't it?
How many letters exist in that lge?
How many consonant?
how many vowels?
Thankyou
0 Replies

hao

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:02 pm
I'm Chinese, a university student majoring in English. Im glad to teach Chinese to one who loves it. My msn is [email protected] / ICQ292332277 Razz
0 Replies

hao

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:34 pm
The pronunciation of Chinese is not difficult at all. If you know "han yu pin yin", it's easy for you to pronounce all of them. But the characters are really hard to write or remember, maybe. However, if you begin from pronunciation, you will gain much confidence. And I have the interest to teach. Don't hesitate to contact me:-)
If you have known a little Chinese, you are welcome to talk with me on MSN or ICQ.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:03 pm
Wow, it's great to see this many Chinese enthusiasts here and for the people who are offering to teach thank you.

2K8 Olympics China will mop the floor with the world taking 50 gold and total medal count 100+...
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:43 am
I know Mandarin has their own style of romanization called "Han yu Pin Yin" and the standard chinese is "Pu Tong Hua." I was just wondering if Cantonese has their own style of romanization? If so what is it called? If I know the name then I can just google the online resources for learning Cantonese, thanks.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
I was just wondering if Cantonese has their own style of romanization? If so what is it called?

If there is such a thing, I would laugh. Either that or congratulate the person who managed the task. Cantonese is so varied and crazy that it cannot possibly have its own romanization. Graphing dolphin language would be better than romanizing cantonese!! Shocked

A2K_wong, I suggest that you would probably be better off listening to people speak the language - much easier that way, believe me! :wink:
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:30 pm
pragmatic wrote:

If there is such a thing, I would laugh. Either that or congratulate the person who managed the task. Cantonese is so varied and crazy that it cannot possibly have its own romanization. Graphing dolphin language would be better than romanizing cantonese!! Shocked

A2K_wong, I suggest that you would probably be better off listening to people speak the language - much easier that way, believe me! :wink:

Pragmatic the thing about Cantonese is that there is such a thing. It's very awkward though. I mean the spelling seems so "rough" sounding compared to Mandarin. Yeah you're probably right about the dolphin thing because Cantonese is not a "smooth" language like Mandarin is.

Anyways getting to my point like what I said though I believe there is such a thing as Cantonese romanization called "Yue." I could be wrong let me know, thanks.
0 Replies

madd03

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
mwuahaha i know chinese...cantonese tho...
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:11 am
pragmatic wrote:
I have a question regarding the tones - lets just say I wanted to pronounce the term girl - NU. I understand it to be pronounced in the third tone (something like a upside down ^) but I have seen some people put to dots on top of U - which one is correct? And what do the two dots mean?

The two dots over the Ü mean it's a different vowel. Without the dots the U sounds like the U in (Spanish) 'mucho'. With the dots the Ü sounds like (Sorry I can't think of any English examples right now. I don't even know if the English language uses this vowel) the Ü in (German pronounced) München (.ogg file) ...

The correct way to write NuRen in Pinyin would be with an up-side-down ^ thingy over the Ü.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:05 am
If u ask me, Cantonese is an animal language used by people from HK because they think they are not Chinese. Its used to differentiate between the real Chinese and those who think they are better than Chinese-eg the HK race all over the world. Cantonese is only used by these so called HK tribes to try and elevate their economic and social status above those of the Chinese. Its no wonder the language sounds so alkward-its used by nomads who reject their homeland Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:17 am
Of course, I speak to the more knowledgeable here, but my understanding is that Cantonese is NOT a language used only by nonmainland Chinese people:

Cantonese (粵語/粤语, lit. "Yụet (Guangdong) language") is one of the major dialect groups or languages of the Chinese language or language family. It is mainly spoken in the south-eastern part of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, by the Chinese minorities in Southeast Asia and by many overseas Chinese of Cantonese origin worldwide. Its name is derived from Canton, the former French romanisation used as the colonial English name for Guangzhou, the capital city of Guangdong Province. It is a tonal language.

Different dialects of Cantonese are spoken depending on area. The most prestigious is the Guangzhou dialect, also referred to simply as "Cantonese". The Guangzhou dialect is the lingua franca of not just Guangdong province, but also the overseas Cantonese diaspora, spoken by about 70 million Cantonese worldwide. The Guangzhou dialect is also spoken in Hong Kong, a financial and cultural capital of southern China. In addition to the Guangzhou dialect, the Taishan dialect, one of the sei yap or siyi (四邑) dialects that come from Guangdong counties where a majority of Exclusion-era Cantonese-Chinese immigrants emigrated, continues to be spoken both by recent immigrants from Southern China and even by third-generation Chinese Americans of Cantonese ancestry alike.

Like other major varieties of Chinese, Cantonese is often considered a dialect of a single Chinese Language for cultural or nationalistic reasons; most linguists consider Cantonese a separate language in the sense that they use the term, with notable exceptions in the People's Republic of China (see Is Chinese a language or a family of languages?)............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese_(linguistics)

Of course, even if it were, this would not make it an "animal language", nor would it it confer superiority/inferiority on its speakers.....

Mandarin DOES sound lovelier to this foreign ear, however.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
dlowan,

In my opinion, Mandarin sounds better because it uses only four tones (inflections) and Cantonese uses seven or eight tones. Mandarin is easier to learn than Cantonese.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:55 pm
I find the sounds of Mandarin simply more pleasant.

I do not know the language so I cannot give you examples, but I spent several years listening to Cantonese and Mandarin most nights a week.

It's just a personal thing, though.
0 Replies