Why does the Bible Exist?

jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 11:29 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

That depends on what aspect of yourself you wish to validate.

I don't understand that... what aspects exactly?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:00 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

What is it then? Is it a good thing or a bad thing for humankind?

The Bible has been used for both good and bad.

People who owned slaves used the Bible to justify slavery. People who were against slavery used the Bible to end slavery. Martin Luther King used the Bible to fight for civil rights. George Wallace used the Bible to oppose civil rights. People have used the Bible to support war and the killing of innocent civilians. People have used the Bible to oppose war and call for justice. The Bible has been used to argue for the distribution of wealth. The Bible has been used to argue for the consolidation of wealth

The Bible has been used for pretty much anything. To ask whether it is a good thing or a bad thing doesn't make sense.

It is just a tool; a symbol that has been used for both good and evil.
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:12 pm
@maxdancona,
You seem to be indifferent. I think it's ignorance. The impact the Bible currently has and has had in the past is undeniable. What is it then?
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:14 pm
@maxdancona,
The Bible is not just any work. That you need to acknowledge!
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:15 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
what aspects exactly?

I've already addressed this. If part of you thinks that the persecution of gays is justified, you'll find support for that idea in the Bible. If part of you believes that you should treat everyone as you would like to be treated, you'll find support for that idea, too. As I've said before, it's an all-purpose justifier.
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:20 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
You seem to be indifferent. I think it's ignorance.

So Max is ignorant because he doesn't revere a book that you do?
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:21 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
what aspects exactly?

I've already addressed this. If part of you thinks that the persecution of gays is justified, you'll find support for that idea in the Bible. If part of you believes that you should treat everyone as you would like to be treated, you'll find support for that idea, too. As I've said before, it's an all-purpose justifier.

I frankly believe sodomy is perversion but that doesn't mean I persecute gays. I don't understand why like I don't understand why to a lot of things.

I think though you came to a good point. I believe the Bible requires a synthesis to comprehend. The only thing I'm able to extract and make sense of out of context are the commandments.
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:22 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
You seem to be indifferent. I think it's ignorance.

So Max is ignorant because he doesn't revere a book that you do?

I think it ignorance not to recognize the impact this work has had on Western Civilization!
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:26 pm
@jerlands,
I could have sworn that Max has posted some of the impact the Bible has had on humans.
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:29 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
I frankly believe sodomy is perversion but that doesn't mean I persecute gays.

It doesn't mean that others don't.
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:31 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

I could have sworn that Max has posted some of the impact the Bible has had on humans.

But her comments are willy nilly. Why has it had such an impact? What is it in the Bible that persists? Why was it written? It is and had been our focus for the last 1700 years. We have built a culture around it.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:32 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
I frankly believe sodomy is perversion but that doesn't mean I persecute gays.

It doesn't mean that others don't.

What is perversion?
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:44 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
What is perversion

The belief that a god would order the genocide of a people and the rape of young girls. Why do you ask?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:47 pm
@jerlands,
You said you believe sodomy is perversion, perhaps you shoulkd explain what you mean by "perversion".
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:51 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
What is perversion

The belief that a god would order the genocide of a people and the rape of young girls. Why do you ask?

So you believe the Bible is perversion? That force that led man out of the garden, away from earth and into this struggle for understanding?
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:53 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

You said you believe sodomy is perversion, perhaps you shoulkd explain what you mean by "perversion".

Merriam Webster wrote:
Definition of perversion
1 : the action of perverting : the condition of being perverted
2 : a perverted form; especially : an aberrant sexual practice or interest especially when habitual
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:53 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
So you believe the Bible is perversion?

So you believe I believe the Bible is perversion? Why would you think such a thing?
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:55 pm
@jerlands,
Have you ever enjoyed oral sex? And if not, have you ever had oral sex?
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:57 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Have you ever enjoyed oral sex?

I'm guilty of many things excluding murder and homosexuality.
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:58 pm
@jerlands,
So the answer is yes. Does that make you perverse?