Patriotism: A Menace to Liberty

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:38 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
....the wheat and the chaff will be burned together in the same fire......no offense meant with the biblical reference Frank :wink:

No problem, Bear!

I wonder when we are gonna redirect our efforts of looking for intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy...to looking for intelligent life on planet Earth?

who will lead the search? Catch 22.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:39 am
Alan Arkin
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:45 am
'What 4 rights did you have in 1999 that you do not have today, debra?'

I hoping to see an answer to this one. I'll check back shortly.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:49 am
neue regel wrote:

Don't hold your breath, neue. :wink:
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:20 am
I think if someone feels deep down that they have lost certain rights as an American citizen, it is important to get those concerns on the table.

This is a discussion forum, last time I checked. So this is everyone's chance to discuss which rights they've lost as a result of this administration.

Heck, if they had been articulated before the election, they could have swayed some votes and who knows....won an election.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:22 am
neue regel wrote:
I think if someone feels deep down that they have lost certain rights as an American citizen, it is important to get those concerns on the table.

This is a discussion forum, last time I checked. So this is everyone's chance to discuss which rights they've lost as a result of this administration.

Heck, if they had been articulated before the election, they could have swayed some votes and who knows....won an election.

just imagine what could have been accomplished if anyone would have listened while peoples concerns and fears were being screamed from the rooftops....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:25 am
Larry434 wrote:
What 4 rights did you have in 1999 that you do not have today, debra?

I know the Patriot Act makes it tougher on criminals to escape justice, but what about you?

Just curious.

I think she mentioned that the link was satire.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:26 am
Texas Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), an outspoken advocate for smaller government and a return to constitutional principles. Rep. Paul has been one of the few politicians in Washington to speak out against the USA Patriot Act and the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, which he believes are a threat to liberty and a sign that our country is becoming more like a police state. "The idea that search warrants could be granted so easily under the Patriot Act … with sneak and peak searches and going into libraries and other places to find out what people are doing is wrong," says Rep. Paul. "It's total surveillance." Rep. Paul has also been a strong critic of the war in Iraq, going so far as to call it "unconstitutional" because there was no formal declaration of war and "immoral" because there was no direct attack on our country.
02/10/04 Don't ya just hate those conservatives that actually are----conservative?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:26 am
just imagine what could have been accomplished if anyone would have listened while peoples concerns and fears were being screamed from the rooftops....

This voter heard the "screams", considered them, and decided the best approach to dealing with their concerns was staying the course with the current administration...as did the majority of the electorate.

It is the way of our Republic every 2 and 4 years.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:27 am
neue regel wrote:

I'm certainly late to this thread and admittedly haven't read all of it, but I believe the rights in question are the right of due process and the right against unreasonable search and seizure.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:30 am
Larry434 wrote:

I know the Patriot Act makes it tougher on criminals to escape justice, but what about you?

Just curious.

And I guess that fact that the administration has a US citizen locked up for three years without charging him with a crime or giving him his day in court is immaterial to the argument that our civil liberties are being eroded?

Jose Padilla: No Charges and No Trial, Just Jail
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:33 am
DrewDad wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Just curious.

And I guess that fact that the administration has a US citizen locked up for three years without charging him with a crime or giving him his day in court is immaterial to the argument that our civil liberties are being eroded?

Profile: Jose Padilla

Jose Padilla is being held in a military jail
Jose Padilla (also known as Abdullah al-Muhajir) had a number of run-ins with the authorities before achieving fame - or infamy - as a "dirty bomb" suspect.
His last came in Florida in 1991, when he was arrested after a road-rage shooting incident and spent a year in a Florida jail.

He completed his probation for aggravated assault and firing a weapon in August 1993.

Prior to that, Mr Padilla, a US citizen of Puerto Rican origin, had a number of gang-related encounters with police in Chicago - where his family had moved from New York City when he was four years old.

Glad this thug is off the streets. Aren't you?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:37 am
Larry434 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Just curious.

Profile: Jose Padilla

Jose Padilla is being held in a military jail
Jose Padilla (also known as Abdullah al-Muhajir) had a number of run-ins with the authorities before achieving fame - or infamy - as a "dirty bomb" suspect.
His last came in Florida in 1991, when he was arrested after a road-rage shooting incident and spent a year in a Florida jail.

He completed his probation for aggravated assault and firing a weapon in August 1993.

Prior to that, Mr Padilla, a US citizen of Puerto Rican origin, had a number of gang-related encounters with police in Chicago - where his family had moved from New York City when he was four years old.

Glad this thug is off the streets. Aren't you?

it's one thing to be glad he's off the street...he probably should be...but in this great republic you delight in refering to he is entitled to the benefit of due process...EVERY citizen no matter how shitty they are is...that's one of the ways we define ourselves as a great republic and lay claim to the moral high ground in the world...you're certainly familiar with the concept of the moral high ground Larry......if he is not benefitting from that process...whether he deserves it or not..then we are practicing contrary to what we preach.....you can't have it both ways...well you can in your mind...as you obviously do.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:37 am
I believe that even thugs are entitled to due process.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:38 am
Bear beat me to it.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
Bear: So far, the Patriot Act under which Jose has been removed to protect society IS due process...and will be until the USSC declares otherwise.

It is the way of our greatest of Republics.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:42 am
What you've just said is that the right of due process has been suspended.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:45 am
FreeDuck wrote:
What you've just said is that the right of due process has been suspended.

I wonder, if bestiality and child molesting was written into law if Larry would defend it for that reason. That seems to be his only precedent for deciding what's acceptable and what isn't.
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:46 am
Personally, I don't have much of a problem with someone with a bomb in their shoe being treated differently by our law enforcement than your 'run of the mill' murderer.

I guess the moral to this story is, don't pack your person with explosives before getting on a plane, for that may cause the authorities to be upset with you, and yes, perhaps, jail you.

And had any of the 9/11 a**holes survived, it would not have broken my heart to not see their case played out like Scott Peterson's on MSNBC, either. If that makes me a cold hearted bastard, I can live with that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:49 am
They just do not understand.

Hey...let's be fair. In order to "understand"...one must have a functioning mind.

They're conservatives.

My meaning should be clear to the non-conservatives among us!
0 Replies