Shooting with multiple casualties in Vegas at Aldeen's concert

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 01:17 pm
Here we go again. Before the second amendment to be ratified, Article One, Section Eight gave Congress the right (and responsibility) to arm the militia. That was why armories were established, not only to store weapons for the use of the militia, but in a few cases, to manufacture those arms. This is the relevant paragraph:

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

In Presser versus Illinois, 1886, the Supremes held that: "Unless restrained by their own constitutions, state legislatures may enact statutes to control and regulate all organizations, drilling, and parading of military bodies and associations except those which are authorized by the militia laws of the United States." (Groups like those loonies, the so-called Michigan Militia, could legally be banned by that state, which is what happened when Presser attempted to establish a self-organized militia in Illinois.) So the constitution gives authority to the states, which has been upheld by the Supremes.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 was challenged on the basis of the second amendment, and in 1939, the Supremes upheld that act. In their decision, they wrote:

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

Clearly this refers to the right of the Congress in Article One, Section Eight, to provide for the arming of the militia. Congress has the right to legislate in such matters, and so do the states.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 01:24 pm
@Setanta,
That's great. But, I haven't seen anyone say that the militia's shouldn't be controlled, trained or armed by the government.

In D.C. V, Heller, 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court answered a long-standing constitutional question about whether the right to “keep and bear arms” is an individual right unconnected to service in the militia or a collective right that applies only to state-regulated militias.

By a five to four margin, the Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms for lawful use, such as self-defense, in the home (emphasis ours). Accordingly, it struck down as unconstitutional provisions of a D.C. law that (1) effectively banned possession of handguns by non law enforcement officials and (2) required lawfully owned firearms to be kept unloaded, disassembled, or locked when not located at a business place or being used for lawful recreational activities.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 01:31 pm
At least, the NRA believes...
Quote:
... that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.
Source
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 02:33 pm
@McGentrix,
In fact, Heller only addressed the right of self-defense. The Arch Crypto-Fascist, Scalia, in framing the majority opinion, used the term "hearth and home" in describing self-defense. It in no way authorizes the right to keep and bear fully automatic weapons, weapons which can be converted to operate as automatic weapons operate, or any other type of military weapons. It's a very narrow ruling, and does not overturn either Presser nor The United States versus Miller.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The guy was seen with a mystery woman. If they can find a video of her they might advance the case.

I heard on the news this morning that the police say they have a credible reason to believe that:

a) this guy fully expected to escape alive and uncaught after he was done shooting, and

b) this guy had a currently-unknown accomplice.

By the way, totally off topic here, but what in the world is going on with Obamacare pricing????

Blue Cross has just told me that 2018 prices for a gold plan will cost me $950 a month. $800 a month for silver. And $550 a month for bronze.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:09 pm
By disagreeing I am to be characterized as 'snide.' That won't shut me up. Those who say these things cannot be prevented overlook the fact that it happens more and more often, withing increasing deadly consequences, in this country, but almost never in other countries, not counting the ones at war.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:10 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
The guy was seen with a mystery woman. If they can find a video of her they might advance the case.

I heard on the news this morning that the police say they have a credible reason to believe that:

a) this guy fully expected to escape alive and uncaught after he was done shooting, and

b) this guy had a currently-unknown accomplice.

By the way, totally off topic here, but what in the world is going on with Obamacare pricing????

Blue Cross has just told me that 2018 prices for a gold plan will cost me $950 a month. $800 a month for silver. And $550 a month for bronze.

The Republicans are sabotaging Obamacare to make sure it fails.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:12 pm
**** no it's not okay with me if non military has that kind of firepower.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
At least, the NRA believes...
Quote:
... that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.
Source

Make sure the SHARE Act is attached to any such legislation. 2 Cents
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
**** no it's not okay with me if non military has that kind of firepower.

Then they are correct to regard you as opposing their rights.

How exactly does adding a pistol grip to a rifle add to its firepower?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:25 pm
@Setanta,
I didn't say anything about military weapons. I don't own any military weapons either. However, my Beretta 92FS is also used by the military, but that does not make it a military weapon. I may (or may not) own an AR style rifle. It is not a military weapon either, though the military may also use it. The shooter in Las Vegas did not own any military style weapons either (unless you know more than has been released). He purchased them legally. He was an evil, murdering bastard. Changing gun laws will not stop evil.

Not even in Canada.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
In fact, Heller only addressed the right of self-defense.

Heller was indeed a disappointment regarding the issue of military weapons. That could be my fault in part, but it was probably inevitable.

However, a Supreme Court ruling protecting guns that are suitable for self defense was still a welcome step. And it opened the door for a future ruling applying Strict Scrutiny to all gun laws. As well as a future ruling extending Heller to cover carrying guns in public.

We just need to get one more conservative on the court before we can go forward. Right now we only have four votes for going forward with more expansive rulings.

Setanta wrote:
weapons which can be converted to operate as automatic weapons operate,

Technically any gun in the world can be converted to operate as a full auto if you modify it enough.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:53 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:57 pm
https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1591#post-6515625

Ignore the deserved snide and pay attention to the linked article.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 03:59 pm
Now here is higtor's response (as good a guy as the left can claim)

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1592#post-6515890
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 04:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And here is mine.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1593#post-6516139

I would hope anti-gun nuts might be able to discuss this subject without the usual nonsense of "NRA and right-wing gun nuts want to kill everyone!"

Let's not forget that one leftist here called for a massacre of NRA members. Big heart, what?
roger

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 04:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Let's not forget that one leftist here called for a massacre of NRA members. Big heart, what?

I saw that, and would hardly forget.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 06:05 pm
@roger,
Indeed roger and I saw your reaction.

The font of human kindness that guy is.

Oh...that guy was OLIVIER