Shooting with multiple casualties in Vegas at Aldeen's concert

tibbleinparadise

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 07:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I think it's something like 2,200 people a day die from heart disease. Without looking it up, I imagine more folks died in car accidents on Monday than at the concert.

Lots of folks dieing every day from all sorts of terrible things.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 07:52 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
Americans don't care about mass murder and nothing can be done to make them care?
tibbleinparadise

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 10:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Apologies if that's how my comments came across, it wasn't intended. I suppose my point was that loads of people die in all sorts of ways every day and, unless you're directly impacted, there is little motivation to effect any sort of change. I think -that- kind of sums up how folks feel. There are so many people and the system is so big that actually changing anything seems an impossible task so most choose not to.

At the risk of being overly dramatic...we live in a shitty, selfish world where too many folks are too busy worrying about themselves to care about their neighbors.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 02:37 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Americans don't care about mass murder and nothing can be done to make them care?

That's a good summary.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 02:42 am
This discussion seems to have got somewhat toxic. I suppose it could act like a honey trap for trolls, though. At least they might spend less time poisoning other threads, and the title alone will alert most people surfing the "new posts" that they will encounter more than the usual proportion of misanthrope-saddo-in-dank-basement type posts.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 03:15 am
@centrox,
Not all topics are equally amenable to a dispationate discussion. We're talking about how a society came to tolerate mass murder as a fact of life, or worse, a price to pay for freedom. This is a pretty dark topic.

I don't want to kill anyone, not even the NRA leardeship, but I tend to agree with tibbleinparadise that "unless you're directly impacted, there is little motivation to effect any sort of change".

Therefore, the situation won't change until mass shootings affect the gun afficionados themselves.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 08:06 am
Stephen Paddock shared a trait with other mass killers: He abused women

https://qz.com/1094160/las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-abused-women-just-like-other-mass-killers-in-the-us/?utm_source=DB&source=TDB&via=FB_Page
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 04:24 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Not all topics are equally amenable to a dispationate discussion. We're talking about how a society came to tolerate mass murder as a fact of life, or worse, a price to pay for freedom. This is a pretty dark topic.

Since our gun rights are not the cause of the mass murders, we can rule out "price we pay for freedom".

Since there is little we can do to stop the mass murders, I think we have no choice but to accept them as a fact of life.

Olivier5 wrote:
I tend to agree with tibbleinparadise that "unless you're directly impacted, there is little motivation to effect any sort of change".

Therefore, the situation won't change until mass shootings affect the gun afficionados themselves.

No chance of that. First, our gun rights are not the problem to begin with. Second, even if our rights were the source of the trouble, we would still never consent to giving up our freedom even if we were directly impacted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 04:49 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
tibbleinparadise wrote:

At the risk of being overly dramatic...we live in a shitty, selfish world where too many folks are too busy worrying about themselves to care about their neighbors.

I think you mean country, not world.

Other first world countries don't have mass killings as a matter of daily routine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 04:52 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
tibbleinparadise wrote:
There are so many people and the system is so big that actually changing anything seems an impossible task so most choose not to.

it really is a marvel that China is getting so much done at a much larger scale

__

it does seem that America is a mix of don't want things to change/don't think things can change/unwilling to do anything to make things change (with a tiny leavening of worn out from trying to make things change)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 04:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

and what would happen if there was a mass shooting at an NRA conference or gun show?

the NRA folks would buy even more guns and ammunition
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 10:39 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I don't want to kill anyone, not even the NRA leardeship, but I tend to agree with tibbleinparadise that "unless you're directly impacted, there is little motivation to effect any sort of change".

How do you know that gun aficionados haven't already been affected?

There are a great many Americans who own guns. It seems highly unlikely that none of the victims of all the mass shootings that have taken place were gun owners or family and/or friends of someone who owns a gun.

Of course, we also don't know how they (those that were not killed) thought about the issue after undergoing their personal tragedy. I recently saw a headline about two people who survived the Vegas massacre and declared that it hadn't changed their minds about not wanting to see increased gun control. Didn't bother to read the article because it proves nothing other than it's not advisable to assume how people will think after facing a life and death situation.

If you've ever experienced a tornado or a hurricane you know how terrifying they can be, and yet there are people living in areas that are regularly beset by these storms who don't move to safer climes and a great many people in coastal areas who refuse to evacuate in advance of a hurricane. Maybe if they were maimed or crippled by one of these storms they would react differently, but then maybe not. People's perception of risk is not always logical.

I don't know this to be precisely true but I suspect that the odds of being killed by a lunatic or a terrorist in a mass shooting are pretty close to those of dying in a plane crash or being eaten by a shark. Certainly they are a lot less than dying in an auto accident.

I think it's worth noting that the extremely low probability of being killed by a terrorist has been repeatedly presented in this forum as support for a claim that Americans are irrationally afraid of Islamist terrorists or an argument against proposed measures to attempt to prevent jihadi attacks. I've gone back and looked at threads on various terror attacks here and in Europe, and interestingly enough, none of them seemed to have been consumed by a gun control debate. Instead, a commonly expressed concern has been that innocent Muslims are being blamed, stigmatized and even harmed because of the actions of Islamists. While that concern may be legitimate it's interesting that many of the same people who expressed it are not concerned that gun aficionados are facing the same sort of unfounded backlash.

Of course, there are those who argue that mass shootings are now so commonplace that one's chances of dying as a result of such a crime have become much greater than that of dying in a plane crash or being eaten by a shark.

I googled "number of mass shootings" and the first site I found was this website (https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data) that purports to track mass shootings in the US.

There is no broadly accepted definition of a mass shooting event, however, the United States' Congressional Research Service defines a "public mass shooting" as one in which four or more people selected indiscriminately, not including the perpetrator, are killed

Matching this definition to the website's list, you can eliminate most of designated mass shootings. The creators clearly subscribe to a definition of the term that involves 4 or more dead and/or injured and pays no mind to the motivation behind victim selection.

Obviously these are not insignificant events simply because less than 4 people were killed, and the shooter knew and selected one or more of his victims, but they are also not mass shootings as defined by the USCRS or mass murders as defined by the FBI.

If you visit the website you will notice that for most of the incidents the perpetrator is listed as "Unknown." To its credit, the website provides links to news accounts of each incident. When you connect to the articles you find that most of the shootings where the shooter isn't identified are gang related, related to criminal activity (e.g. robbery) or a result of a violent dispute that escalates. In many cases, the victims are innocent bystanders which is particularly tragic and infuriating but the shooters had a target which they either missed or were included among the dead or wounded.

There are also a sickening number of domestic disputes which ended up with someone using a gun. More tragedy.

There are, in fact, very few acts of terrorism or massacres perpetrated by someone with a lifetime of grudges who one day simply snaps and goes on a rampage.

That society tolerates these crimes as a fact of life or the price of freedom is a tricky statement to make.

In 2015 headlines in major news sources declared that statistics showed that there is at least one mass shooting every day in America. The definition of the term used to calculate this was pretty much what the linked website uses: Four or more people killed or injured, regardless of motivation and victim selection. More than 2/3rds of the incidents involved shootings in homes and the majority of victims were family members, spouses or a girlfriend/boyfriend.

For the last several years, Mother Jones has maintained a database of mass shootings that exclude criminal acts such as robberies, gang activity and domestic violence. In 2016 the magazine reported they had identified 75 mass shootings since 1982. In other words for a 34 year period, there were less than 1/4th of the number of incidents the Washington Post and other outlets were reporting had occurred in 2015 alone.

Of course this is not to say that 75 mass murders in 34 years are trifling, but clearly, the type of incidents that occurred in Vegas, Newtown, CT, Aurora, CO and Columbine (the ones that make the national news) are not happening every day in America.

First of all, the statement that society has come to tolerate mass murder as the price of freedom implies (as intended) that the gun control measures that are called for following each tragedy could have prevented them and this is simply not true.

Secondly, it would be more accurate to state that society (or more precisely, certain Mayors and City Councils) have come to tolerate the murder of young black men and innocent bystanders in ghettos within our major cities, and yes, in some cases, as the price of freedom from bigotry and profiling. Intensified policing in specific urban neighborhoods (even specific blocks) has proven effective in reducing gun deaths however they also give rise to claims of racism and oppression which have put an end to some efforts.

And it would seem that our society (and indeed the entire world) has come to tolerate domestic violence. It's difficult to track the rise or fall of domestic violence because it is so rarely reported to police by the victims. One study contends that less than 1% of such incidents are reported. This seems, to me and most researchers, to be unlikely, but if we change it to less than 25% it still makes quantification nearly impossible and prevention extremely difficult. We do know that the number of Americans killed in Iraq and Afghanistan from 2001 to 2012 was approx. half of the number of women killed in America by their intimate partners over the same period of time.

As the statistician in the WaPo article I linked suggests if we really want to do something about gun deaths in America we need to focus more on their causes and less on the tools used. Over the last several years more than a dozen states have increased gun restrictions and prohibition on known abusers and stalkers. This is a sensible gun control measure that even the NRA has often supported. And it's not just in blue states. Wisconsin and South Carolina have both passed laws requiring the subjects of domestic abuse restraining orders to surrender their guns within 48 hours or flat out bans convicted abusers from ever owning a firearm.

It's quite common for people to react emotionally to horrific tragedies like the one in Vegas, and to demand that something be done to stop them from ever happening again. It's a lot less common for an easy solution to be found, and when proposed solutions involve the potential infringement of a Constitutionally protected right, and sensible people who are anything but gun-nuts can argue with credibility that the solutions proposed have little to no chance of solving the problem, imposing them just so we can say we did something is no a solution at all.

Passion is not a problem if it leads to actual, meaningful solutions and not feel-good, ineffectual and possibly harmful symbolic gestures. Creating an artificial moral divide between those who want across the board increased gun control and those who do not is not particularly helpful either, and while I certainly accept your claim that you don't want to kill or see killed NRA leadership, the sort of passion that leads to such statements is not pretty and can be harmful. Thankfully, no one in this forum is so callous and vile to suggest that the victims in Vegas got what they deserved or are not worthy of sympathy because they were Country Music fans and therefore most likely Republicans, Trump supporters or racists, but those sentiments have been expressed throughout social media (and not just by basement dwelling troglodytes) and are as despicable as claiming the tragedy was God's punishment for America's growing acceptance of homosexuality. It may be that such disgusting expressions after events like this one were just as common in the past but social media has taken them from someone's living room and aired them to the world, but I don't think that's true, and even if it is, it's of no comfort.

America has a violence problem, the world has a violence problem and even if it was possible, eliminating all firearms from the face of the earth will not solve these problems nor the growing divide in this country and others that result in people hating one another simply because of their politics; to the point where decency and compassion are lost and for some, violence becomes an acceptable option. We still don't know the motive of the Vegas shooter, but whatever it was we won't be enlightened when we finally learn it. It will be sickening no matter what it was but will it, for some, be fathomable? If he turns out to be like the recent DC shooter and motivated by politics, will some people such as network lawyers and political party officials consider him to be something other than just a madman who for reasons only his dark and broken mind could fathom murdered in cold blood over 50 people and injured hundreds more?

(For those who might experience irritation due to the length of this post, I suggest availing yourselves of the thumb down icon directly below my avatar)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 12:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think that you described the situation quite well. [I do think, however, that domestic violence is fortunataly more often reported tha in former times.]

Wo geholt wird, fallen auch Späne we say in German, the equivalent win English would be (nearly) "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs".
If you want weapons for everyone, you have to accept 'misconduct' by some owners. And that happens even if the ownership is controlled. And with everything else that could be dangerous.

There are, however, in any case some measurements to reduce the possible danger. Some work, others are populist reactions without any real outcome.

It all depends on how you see it. And how you are used to it.
The Mandalay Bay horror was no different to all the other mass shootings: just bigger and bloodier.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 12:54 am
@tibbleinparadise,
tibbleinparadise wrote:

I think it's something like 2,200 people a day die from heart disease. Without looking it up, I imagine more folks died in car accidents on Monday than at the concert.

Lots of folks dieing every day from all sorts of terrible things.

In a nutshell that's the message of the right. The World is **** and there's nothing that can be done about it so don't bother.

The left hopes, actually imagines a better World. I was clocked breaking the speed limit and went on a driver's course. The first thing we were told is how the amount of people being killed on the road keeps going down. Great strides are being made in the treatment of heart disease.

Most people are decent, things can change, we don't have mass shootings over here. Choose hope, not inertia.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think that you described the situation quite well. [I do think, however, that domestic violence is fortunataly more often reported tha in former times.]

I agree with you. The less than 1% stat that's been claimed seems very unlikely, however I've seen several references to around 25% on reputable sites and that doesn't seem outlandish to me. The victims of domestic abuse (largely women) have been beaten down psychologically as well as physically and it seems very likely that fear of retribution if a report to the authorities doesn't remove the abuser from the victim's life, would prevent many a victim from taking the risk. It's difficult for me to understand the mindset that keeps the victims from leaving and moving halfway across the country to get away from their abusers, but I imagine that fear plays a very big part in forming it. Obviously fear of retribution, but likely fear of being alone and on one's own as well. Fortunately, none of the women I care about have been victims of domestic abuse so it's hard for me to put a face to the profile of the battered wife or girlfriend. I certainly don't doubt they exist, nor do I blame them in any way for their plight. I just can't imagine anyone I know being that afraid and also being unable to do anything to protect themselves. I also can't imagine beating my wife or any woman. The men who do are the worst sort of curs and I think an abused woman who one-day snaps and murders the bastard tormenting her is justified in committing homicide. I'm all for depriving these beasts of all sorts of rights and owning a gun is probably the least of them.

Wo geholt wird, fallen auch Späne we say in German, the equivalent win English would be (nearly) "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs".
If you want weapons for everyone, you have to accept 'misconduct' by some owners. And that happens even if the ownership is controlled. And with everything else that could be dangerous.

Again I agree. There are already plenty of laws in place that outlaw violent behavior with or without a gun and clearly they do not ensure that we live in societies where there is no violence. There are laws enough to discourage drunk driving and yet it happens all the time and innocent people are regularly killed as a result. Perhaps the enforcement and punishment associated with breaking these laws are not sufficient, but criminals have been breaking laws for a very long time and for much of that time the punishment for what we would consider less than major transgressions was death. If being killed is not a sufficient deterrent, I can't imagine what could be.

Of course, this doesn't mean that society should accept crime, and violent crime in particular, as an unyielding fact of life. If one is so unfortunate to develop cancer it would be foolish to deny it's existence, but one need not accept it as a death sentence. The people who do generally find it to be the case. People who psychologically as well as physiologically resist it often survive. However, prolonged lifespans have assured an increase in the number of cases of cancer, and no one would ever suggest we need to go back to dying at a younger age to defeat the scourge.

We are constantly informed that this or that product of our modern day lives will lead to our deaths: grilling meat over flame or charcoals at a backyard BBQ, refined sugar and/or artificial sweeteners in our five cups of coffee each day, evil GMOs that increase crop yields and save people from starving, the list goes on and on and seems to change monthly. Wine is good for your heart, and then it's not, but then it is again. Death will come to each of us and at least for a long time to come this is an inescapable fact. We don't need to welcome it, and we don't need to stop looking for ways to prevent it from arriving before someone is prepared to meet it, but to live is to die and as long as this is true many people will die senselessly.

I won't argue that anyone who believes that the right to bear arms is not worth any senseless death is somehow Un-American or a thin cover for a tyrannical nature. I respect the compassion that underlies that opinion for a great many people but I don't particularly respect the naivety or, in many cases, the disingenuous nature that also underlies it, and I don't want to see it prevail...not because I have a cache of semi-automatic assault rifles that I can't bear to be without (in fact I don't own even one projectile weapon of any sort...except a mini-crossbow that shoots toothpicks), but because I believe citizens do and should have the right to bear arms whether it be for target shooting, hunting, protection, or joining a hopeless effort to overthrow a future tyrant, and because I believe statistics show that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible people who don't present a risk to their fellow citizens.

There are, however, in any case some measurements to reduce the possible danger. Some work, others are populist reactions without any real outcome.

Once more we agree (this must be some sort of record)

I'm not of the school of thought that any and all gun control measures are unacceptable, however, I do oppose any that do not offer a reasonable chance of reducing the possible danger, and this is usually the case because they are not focused on the actual danger. The populist reactions without any real outcome are precisely the ones that are trotted out after every national tragedy, but which time and time again are shown to have been unable to have prevented the tragedy if they were in place before it occurred, and would only serve to impinge on the rights of responsible citizens. I've no sympathy for or interest in ineffective measures that achieve nothing but a political victory. Doing nothing is preferable to doing something which has no chance of successfully reducing the possible danger.

Some gun control measures make sense. Continuing efforts need to and can be made to reduce domestic violence in virtually every nation in the world, but they need to be specific to the dynamics involved. Even depriving a convicted abuser of the right to own a gun won't eliminate domestic violence that ends in murder. A man can beat a woman or child to death with a baseball bat or even his hands almost as easily as he can kill them with a gun. However, depriving people who have demonstrated, through repeated violent behavior, that they can't be trusted with a firearm is a focused response with a higher chance of success than making it a bit more difficult for everyone to purchase a gun. It will reduce the possible danger.

It all depends on how you see it. And how you are used to it.
The Mandalay Bay horror was no different to all the other mass shootings: just bigger and bloodier.

I suppose. For me, it's all depressing. Obviously the massacre but also the divide that should not be present when there is such a national tragedy. I wonder if there is anything that can unite all Americans. It would have to be ten times more horrible and not to be hoped for.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The German proverb Einmal ist keinmal means "once doesn't count". I've counted your agreements as one.
nimh

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

tibbleinparadise wrote:
There are so many people and the system is so big that actually changing anything seems an impossible task so most choose not to.

it really is a marvel that China is getting so much done at a much larger scale

Lot easier to get things done when you don't have to deal with pesky things like democracy, independent judiciary, etc.

Of course, as the Chinese example illustrates, the 'getting things done' then tends to involve brutalizing a lot of people.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The German proverb Einmal ist keinmal means "once doesn't count". I've counted your agreements as one.

Meaning that they don't count or amount to much?

I have the feeling, my friend, that I've been insulted here, but can't be certain since in many A2K threads in which you and I exchange comments there often seems to be at least one of yours that I find utterly inscrutable; to the extent that I sometimes worry that I may have suffered some sort neurological episode resulting in a loss of cognitive function. The above response is just such a comment.

I have read it over a dozen times now and still can't say with anything approaching certainty that I at all understand the message you have conveyed. You are clearly very intelligent and your command of English (which I assume is not your native tongue) is quite impressive and, in any case, far beyond my ability to converse in German or any other language in which I can communicate, at best, at the level of a pre-school child. Nevertheless, as I don't wish to give serious consideration to the possibility of diminished cognition I have alway always assumed the issue is with your English and not my brain. However, your response received at least two thumbs up which suggests that at least two people visiting this thread have read your response, believed they understood it and registered their appreciation of it. I wish you or they would explain it to me so that I might appreciate it as well.

I considered the possibility that two individuals who religiously thumb down my posts regardless of their content after attending to mine, perceived, without truly understanding it, that yours contained mockery or insult directed at me and therefore thumbed yours up, but that's an overly paranoid supposition and too ungracious towards you. Instead, I'll just leave it that I don't really have a clue as to what you meant to convey in your response and request that you take pity on a possible victim of early-onset dementia and attempt to explain it to me.

(If there is a jab for me contained within the response, wouldn't it be more satisfying if I were to understand it? Smile And if the jab is there, that's fine. I actually did enjoy having the opportunity to find myself in such agreement with you for a change )

roger

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I considered the possibility that two individuals who religiously thumb down my posts regardless of their content after attending to mine, perceived, without truly understanding it, that yours contained mockery or insult directed at me and therefore thumbed yours up, but that's an overly paranoid supposition and too ungracious towards you.

All things considered, I don't think that's a bit paranoid.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I feel like i'm talking to a climate change denier.... Nothing is ever possible with defeatists like you, except more stonewalling of course.

As Walt said, this last massacre is just bigger than previous ones, that's all. You know the story of the frog placed in water that is progressively brought to boiling point? Proverbially, it never feels like it should jump out because the change is progressive. That's what's happening here. An entire society is being brought to boiling point, slowly slowly. One day it's gona boil.