monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 02:47 pm
Quote:
CSPAN‏Verified account
@cspan
.@SenBobCorker: "I think Sec. Tillerson, Sec. Mattis and Chief of Staff Kelly are those people that help separate our country from chaos."

0 Replies

snood

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:04 pm
Regarding gun laws, true or false...
If every black man who could obtain one purchased a semiautomatic rifle Friday, there would be gun control legislation passed through congress before the next Friday.
maporsche

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:13 pm
@snood,
True. Obviously true.

Sad.
wmwcjr

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:30 pm
@snood,
I've read that Ronald Reagan, when he was Governor of California, called for gun control legislation when there was a Black Panther scare.
BillW

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:47 pm
@wmwcjr,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Quote:
Both Republicans and Democrats in California supported increased gun control. Governor Ronald Reagan was present when the protesters arrived and later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."[7]

The bill was signed by Reagan and became California penal code 25850 and 171c.
oralloy

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:49 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
If every black man who could obtain one purchased a semiautomatic rifle Friday, there would be gun control legislation passed through congress before the next Friday.

False.

Unless you mean the bill on silencers and AP ammo. That could well pass.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:50 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
True. Obviously true.
Sad.

No. On behalf of America's gun rights advocates, I deny Congress permission to pass such a bill.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:53 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

I've read that Ronald Reagan, when he was Governor of California, called for gun control legislation when there was a Black Panther scare.

That's very true.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:58 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I wish every man (woman and child), black, white, yellow or red, would obtain a semiautomatic rifle (where legally allowed to), learn to aim, shoot and clean it and we would live in a much safer country.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 03:58 pm
@wmwcjr,
Notice what I bolded. Compare that statement (boldly endorsed by Reagan the right wing hero) to the way conservatives view open carry today.

Quote:
Back in 1967, says Jacob Sullum at Reason, "the NRA supported the Mulford Act, which banned open carrying of loaded firearms in California. The law, a response to the Black Panthers' conspicuous exercise of the right to armed self-defense, also was supported by Gov. Ronald Reagan." As the bill's conservative sponsor, Don Mulford (R), argued in 1989, "openly carrying a gun is an 'act of violence or near violence,'" Sullum noted. "Apparently Reagan and the NRA agreed." The Mulford Act is still on the books in California, America's most populous state.

http://theweek.com/articles/582926/how-ronald-reagan-learned-love-gun-control
wmwcjr

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:06 pm
@BillW,
Thanks for the info. Smile
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:14 pm
@snood,
It's typical politics.

The N.R.A. supported it, too? That's rich, truly rich!

Doncha just love it? You're right! You see, it's just a matter of the color of one's skin -- er, excuse me! Embarrassed -- whose ox gets gored or who gets to openly carry a gun.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:32 pm
Quote:
The DOD and the NFL

We’ve first started looking into this when we saw claims that the NFL only really started pushing players standing for the anthem because the DOD was paying them to. That turns out not to be true. Or at least we see no evidence for it. The dates don’t line up. But between 2011 and 2015, the Pentagon did pay the NFL millions of dollars for flag displays, military family reuinitings and various military and patriotic displays. The changes in the anthem ceremony came in 2009, two years before the contract started. So it seems clear that it could not be tied – at least based on the evidence we have – to the DOD contract. But the other stuff is real.
Josh Marshall - TPM front page
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:37 pm
Quote:
Bannon Backs Ex-Rep. Grimm, Convicted Felon Who Threatened [to murder] Reporter
TPM
These people have the highest standards.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:42 pm
Quote:
"The leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Wednesday warned political candidates to expect Russian operatives to try to sow chaos and manipulate upcoming elections in November and in 2018."
NYT
This Republican-led, bipartisan committee is covertly seeking to support Hillary Clinton and to overturn the last election! Traitors!
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:46 pm
We really need to give a big hand to the NRA and the weapons-manufacturing entities that they support.
Quote:
More Americans Killed by Guns Since 1968 Than in All U.S. Wars — Combined
NBC News

Damn. That is an impressive statistic! Great work, everyone.

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_40/2178001/171004-gun-deaths-graphic-se-355p_0dd843318923b110e4a719251c518044.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

National Review by way of FB. That's a source people should pay attention to Laughing

Aren't you a delight?

Are you suggesting that Facebook somehow changes the content of an article? I'm connected to a number of different News Media FB pages and I would like to know if I should question the legitimacy of articles from WaPo, The New Yorker, The NY Times, Mother Jones etc. Please enlighten me based on your superior knowledge of Facebook.

Considering your proclivities I don't expect you to respect The National Review, but you made a point to add "by way of FB" as if it was of import, or what prompted your chuckle emoticon. Given that you are such a sophisticated consumer of information, it has me wondering.

In any case, here's an article from a source I hazard to guess you respect: The Washington Post, but, again, it is by way of FB so who knows how the Russian Trolls might have altered it. It would explain though how a former reasonable gun control advocate might do a complete 180. Yes, it must be the Russkie Trolls or those darn American Nazis you seem to be so worried about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.1a4c19678537#comments

Quote:
Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence.

Quote:
When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gun owner walks into the store to buy an “assault weapon.” It’s an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, a rocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.

Quote:
As for silencers — they deserve that name only in movies, where they reduce gunfire to a soft puick puick. In real life, silencers limit hearing damage for shooters but don’t make gunfire dangerously quiet.

Oh no! Better not inform Hillary.

Quote:
As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn't even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?

Yes, that's 2/3rds just as David French seemed to suggest in his FB altered piece. But of course, we all know that barely 10% of these poor souls would have succumbed to their despair and taken their lives if it weren't for guns, and more pointedly THE NRA!

(Interestingly enough, men favor guns as a means to take their own lives at an extremely higher rate than women, what, then, do we do for suicidal women once we ban gun ownership or similarly reasonable gun control methods? Ban all prescription pills or only allow them to be dispensed in quantities of 5 at a time?)

Quote:
However, the next-largest set of gun deaths — 1 in 5 — were young men aged 15 to 34, killed in homicides. These men were most likely to die at the hands of other young men, often related to gang loyalties or other street violence.

Of course, all these young gangbangers are only able to obtain guns because of the NRA imposed loopholes. They would never buy them from a Black Market dealer in a parking lot.

Quote:
And the last notable group of similar deaths was the 1,700 women murdered per year, usually as the result of domestic violence. Far more people were killed in these ways than in mass-shooting incidents, but few of the popularly floated policies were tailored to serve them.

Yeah but these brutal bastards are really afraid of women and if they couldn't get their hands on NRA protected guns they would be too cowardly to resort to a hammer, a knife or their fists.

Quote:
By the time we published our project, I didn’t believe in many of the interventions I’d heard politicians tout. I was still anti-gun, at least from the point of view of most gun owners, and I don’t want a gun in my home, as I think the risk outweighs the benefits. But I can’t endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them. Policies that often seem as if they were drafted by people who have encountered guns only as a figure in a briefing book or an image on the news.

How absolutely refreshing; An honest and rational progressive, and she's what you might call an intellectual so surely other progressives will respect her. I know you will, right ebeth? But even if she isn't an elite egghead, she's a statistician (and one who worked for or with Nate Silver!) and isn't that pretty close to a scientist? Now we all know that progressives just love science and scientists so you would expect to see the respect for her flowing through the comments section.

But no.

There are 6,000 of them. More than I've ever seen at WaPo, and from the progressive side they range from:

1) You're just wrong
2) You don't know anything about statistics (I guess Silver was fooled!)
3) You are horrible and want people to die

Don't believe me? You're welcome to scroll through all 6,000 and see.

So yes, how amusing was David French's fact-filled article in comparison to Jimmy Kimmel's emotional nonsense! It even deserves a chuckle from me. Smile

I'm still worried about FB so please get back to me on that.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 04:56 pm
@blatham,
It is excellent because it offers facts vs an emotional outburst.

Spare me the agitprop crap.

If you think the article is full of it, point to specific errors or falsehoods, and not extraneous tonal nonsense

Of course you won't because this all about emotion: Your righteous emotion and the soulless lack of it on the part of those who don't agree with you.
oralloy

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 05:26 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
We really need to give a big hand to the NRA and the weapons-manufacturing entities that they support.

What is it with liberals and their silly yammering about imaginary links between the NRA and gun manufacturers?
blatham

Wed 4 Oct, 2017 05:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Spare me the agitprop crap.

Probably not. As I pointed out, this is precisely what he was doing into the subhead and the first graph.