Las Vegas plane fire. How come passengers had luggage ?

fresco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 10:31 am
Anybody know the details ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 10:56 am
@fresco,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/09/dramatic-smoke-and-flames-but-no-serious-injuries-in-las-vegas-aircraft-fire/

Quote:
No cause has been determined so far for the fire in the plane’s engine. But it could have indeed been a disaster had the London-bound plane’s crew and passengers not made a hasty and efficient exit down the inflatable evacuation chutes and had firefighters been slower in dousing the flames.

As it turned out, the fire and smoke did not penetrate the cabin. Chris Jones, a spokesman for the airport, told the Associated Press that all 159 passengers and 13 crew members aboard Flight 2276 headed for London’s Gatwick Airport made it off the plane. Fire officials told the news agency that 14 people suffered minor injuries from sliding down the chutes after the fire broke out shortly after 4 p.m. Pacific time.
fresco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 11:09 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks.
Knowing the normal congestion caused by people accessing overhead lockers I would have thought such behavior would be deemed to be idiotic.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 01:28 pm
@fresco,
Fresco - there's an article on this. You may have seen it already..

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/09/aeroplane-evacuations-why-people-grab-luggage-before-escaping
fresco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 02:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for that.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 02:09 pm
@fresco,
It takes me a long time to read some Guardian articles since I enjoy reading the comments that show up after some of them.

Edit -
Me, when I fly I wear my travel suit, which I bought from some online company years ago. It's got special pockets for passport, credit cards, pills if needed, wallet. It's both handy and hard to pickpocket in places where that is a concern. No need to grab luggage from an overhead bin.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:36 pm

It might depend on the apparent urgency of the evacuation and the value of the luggage to the person who was deciding whether to leave it.

I recall once heading home from an Ozzy concert and the car I was riding in catching on fire. I had a fragment of a T-shirt that Ozzy had taken off and thrown into the crowd, and I made sure to grab it before bailing out of the car.

(The car survived, BTW, though the car that we totaled on the way TO the concert did not.)
0 Replies