Las Vegas: Don't Feed the Homeless

nimh

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:54 pm
Now there's a social-minded, Christian-thinking measure for ya: make it illegal to feed those who have nothing.

Depressing.

And Las Vegas' mayor is a Democrat and everything.

Quote:
Las Vegas Makes It Illegal to Feed Homeless in ParksRead on..

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/28/us/28homeless190.1.jpg

Gail Sacco, a retired restaurant owner, has for years been giving meals to homeless people in a Las Vegas park. The city has outlawed the practice.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/28/us/28homeless190.2.jpg

Recipients of Ms. Sacco's handouts say that they are far from shelters and that they get little public assistance.

"if you want to help somebody, go to McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken and give them a meal"

I wouldnt have believed it if I wasnt reading it.. Shocked

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:56 pm
They don't want the homeless to set up shop in the Park. Probably afraid it'll affect the gaming business.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:40 am
Las Vegas has the lowest unemployment on the planet, and still cheap rent. Get a job.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:48 am
If you have time to lay around a park all day and wait for someone to give you food then you have time to go and get a job. Those people have no pride if they are willing to lay around and not work.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
You people have no clue what it means to be homeless do you?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:20 am
It would appear that some people here think of homelessness as a "lifestyle choice". In reality, it is not. I know a woman who was once a well-paid legal secretary. When the demon of mental illness grabbed her she became homeless, lived in shelters and was forced to rely on help. She now lives on disability payments. I say "feed them and give them shelter". They are human beings too!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:36 am
I was homeless for several years.

I know for a fact that if people COULD get a job, the homeless population would all but dissappear.

most people have no clue what it is like to be homeless and why you cant " just get a job"
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 02:41 pm
Quote:
I was homeless for several years.

Thank god you are on your feet and online so that you can post 16 times a day here.

There is one impediment to the employment of the homeless, if they are otherwise healthy in mind and body, as most are. That is basic cleanliness, and the ability to work for a few hours without flaking out. These problems, of course are George Bush's fault.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:25 pm
There are countries in which homelessness is non-existent, We don't care about the homeless here. They are better swept under the rug or ignored. Our country needs some serious work.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:36 pm
Quote:
There are countries in which homelessness is non-existent

Cool! Is the answer to the obvious question a secret?
yitwail

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:49 pm
Baldimo wrote:
If you have time to lay around a park all day and wait for someone to give you food then you have time to go and get a job. Those people have no pride if they are willing to lay around and not work.

even if homelessness is the fault of the homeless, how does that justify fining or jailing people for giving them food?
NickFun

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:11 pm
It would appear that compassion has been outlawed in Vegas. Of course, there was never much there to begin with...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:13 pm
paull wrote:
Quote:
There are countries in which homelessness is non-existent

Cool! Is the answer to the obvious question a secret?

They won't say for fear we may ours there...
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:21 pm
Quote:
we may ours there.

gent, I love ya, but I don't know what that means..........who cares

CASTRO MIGHT BE ON HIS DEATHBED AND HIS BROTHER IS A .........................................
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
paull wrote:
Quote:
we may send ours there.

gent, I love ya, but I don't know what that means..........who cares

CASTRO MIGHT BE ON HIS DEATHBED AND HIS BROTHER IS A .........................................
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:59 pm
Give them some free chips and let them start betting for real cash.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:01 pm
paull wrote:
Las Vegas has the lowest unemployment on the planet, and still cheap rent. Get a job.

What kind of job?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:27 pm
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
paull wrote:

What kind of job?

Janitorial, waiter/waitress, dealer, car lot attendant, street sweeper, keeping the homeless out of the park, cashier... the list is endless.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:51 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
paull wrote:

What kind of job?

Janitorial, waiter/waitress, dealer, car lot attendant, street sweeper, keeping the homeless out of the park, cashier... the list is endless.

Jobs are all probably filled already by illegals.
paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:36 pm
Quote:
Jobs are all probably filled already by illegals

Dumbest quote of the week. I dunno if any, or all, of the people serving my buffet don't belong here, but that does not mean there are not jobs to be had. Whether looking for one of those jobs, and getting one, is more difficult that sitting in the park and being fed by a "former restaurant owner" is more a matter of pride than economics, I think.

(edited): dumbest of the month.
0 Replies