The Liberal obsession with Nazis. It's not good for you.

maxdancona

Fri 8 Sep, 2017 11:33 am
@Olivier5,
That isn't true.

Dieudonne has been sentenced to two months in jail.
Olivier5

Fri 8 Sep, 2017 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

By the way, this is not a hypothetical in France. In the past decade, people have been arrested for anti-Israel stickers,...

Do you have a link? I did a search and all I found is what I posted below.

max wrote:
The US is right about free speech.

Quote:
1 arrested for anti-Israel sticker posted on local Jewish center
Hate crime caught on camera
Posted: Tue 5:14 PM, Jul 18, 2017  | 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - An anti-defamation group says a white supremacist has been arrested in Denver for putting a "Fight Terror, Nuke Israel" sticker on the door of a Jewish center in Colorado Springs.
Olivier5

Fri 8 Sep, 2017 11:36 am
@maxdancona,
That's a Belgian case.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 8 Sep, 2017 02:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The issue is whether the elected officials and appointed judges should be the ones to decide whether the words of Israel lovers, or Israel critics constitute hate speech. Obviously in your private life, you can decide with whom you want to associate (but you don't have the power to put people who you decide are offensive in jail).

I'm bringing in the economic concept of "market forces." If the day came when only caucasians bought white bread, then market forces would be the reason that all the commercials for that white bread only showed caucasians. The same would be true for Black cosmetics, only in reverse.

So, if a country believes that if Jews in that country feel threatened by vocal anti-Jewish/Israel rhetoric, and then the Jews in the country literally picked up and made Aliyah, then to prevent the loss of money (transferred), or businesses closing, or fewer professionals, "market forces" might result in less than a legalistic application of free speech. Your wanting a perfect application of free speech, in my opinion, is just the thinking of an idealistic thought process.

As someone that worked in a school system, you might have heard some of your colleagues say, "It is, what it is," to reconcile the regimentation of a bureaucracy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 8 Sep, 2017 02:48 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

...In America, i don't know. I don't have my fingers on her pusle anymore but my FEAR is that you're about to discover what a society becomes when it allows its common ground to be trashed by partisanship, and its sense of political civility thrown to the dogs. It's not pretty from afar.

That partisanship, below the surface, might be caused by two societies, with totally different visions for the country they live in, reaching a critical mass.

It all started with the industrial revolution, in my opinion,when the demographic that settled the pristine land, needed millions of quasi-literates from (not politically correct country omitted) to raise themselves to a managerial class.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 05:52 am
Anytime now, Max will apologize for misrepresenting France's free speech laws... As soon as he can get over his embarassement, that is.
revelette1

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 08:24 am
@Olivier5,
I am not sure it is so, but it could be because the sticker seems to be promoting violence against Israel. If the sticker just said "Hate Israel" or some other disgusting thing, not sure they would have been arrested.
Olivier5

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:56 pm
@revelette1,
That's speculative.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 05:39 pm
@Olivier5,
I am not embarrassed at all nor have I misrepresented France at all. In fact, let me continue.

In the United States, there is a humorous stereotype of a racist politician saying "I don't see color". Stephen Colbert (the great American satirist) said this quite a bit to great comedic effect when he had a show mocking a conservative pundit.

What is joke in the United States is policy in France. Politicians prevent any discussion of the deep ethnic injustices in the country by simply refusing to talk about race.

And, yet there is undeniable racial injustice in France. There are large ethnic communities, including the French Algerians, that are second class citizens. They are segregated, subjected to gross stereotyping and pushed into specific neighborhoods. Of the government doesn't have to do anything about this because they "don't see color".

https://mediadiversified.org/2015/05/12/why-black-people-in-france-are-still-invisible/

Olivier5

Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:11 am
@maxdancona,
You never stop your prejudiced, xenophobic BS do you? Ever heard of something called FACTS?

You got your facts wrong about free speech laws, Dieudonné and anti-Israel stickers.

Now you're just adding another layer of lies.

Odd that you would ask everyone to respect clitoris cutters in Africa, but no need to respect the French 'cause they are downright evil, right?

Connard...
maxdancona

Tue 12 Sep, 2017 05:39 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Odd that you would ask everyone to respect clitoris cutters in Africa, but no need to respect the French 'cause they are downright evil

Very nice Olivier. You make the point about the French attitude toward Africans far better than I do.
Olivier5

Tue 12 Sep, 2017 05:54 am
@maxdancona,
If the French state would allow female circumcision, you'd respect us much more...
Olivier5

Tue 12 Sep, 2017 06:18 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Odd that you would ask everyone to respect clitoris cutters in Africa, but no need to respect the French 'cause they are downright evil

Very nice Olivier. You make the point about the French attitude toward Africans far better than I do.

I said nothing about "Africans" as a whole, by the way.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 12 Sep, 2017 06:55 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

If the French state would allow female circumcision, you'd respect us much more...

The French state has committed far greater crimes against humanity than female circumcision. France did some pretty horrific things to people in Africa, slaughtering countless people to support empire. This happened through the mid 1900s. Modern France also wants to downplay the French involvement in the Vichy regime.

Of course, the same thing can be said of the US (and I will be the first to say it). The problem is when former colonial powers, who acted in the most barbaric ways imaginable now judge their former subjects. I do think that the US is farther along in this discussion than France... perhaps because when we allow unrestricted free speech, these issues are brought out into the open.

We are talking about France because you started commenting on other cultures. I do think that France is worse then many other Western societies in issues of cultural tolerance and freedom of expression.

I think that Western cultures in general should be very hesitant to claim any cultural superiority, over Indigenous cultures or to make moral judgments.
Olivier5

Tue 12 Sep, 2017 08:02 am
@maxdancona,
Sure, you guys are the best. That's why you can condescend to judge other nations, and the most convenient way to do that is to invent your own facts.
Foofie

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 02:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Sure, you guys are the best. That's why you can condescend to judge other nations, and the most convenient way to do that is to invent your own facts.

I always liked Maurice Chevalier's rendition of Little Girls. However, I could never understand the fascination with mimes?

It's just my opinion, but using the guillotine to effect the end of monarchy might resonate with citizens of other countries to hint at a blood thirsty quality in the people of France, that today is still an image that Germany would like to lose, in my opinion. Perhaps, what makes the French deemed less horrific is that they either killed other Europeans in battle, or were less than civilized to only non-white colonies (giving credence to the world's racial attitudes)? Personally, I think they are dirty by American standards. And, they smoke as though nothing has been proven about the health hazards of smoking. Yet, they are so critical about climate change doubters. And, their language is too nasal for listening to. Give me English, with an American accent. (Foofie had a catharsis.)
Olivier5

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 12:36 am
@Foofie,
Do you also believe that Jews are cheap?
Walter Hinteler

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 01:33 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
And, they smoke as though nothing has been proven about the health hazards of smoking.
They smoke less per capita than in the USA
Olivier5

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 04:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks Walter, but this isn't about facts. It's about prejudice. Anti-frogism remains as the last accepted, A-okay form of racism in many anglophone societies.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,

Séchez vos larmes

The French consider themselves a race unto their own?

Priceless.