SLUT!

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:40 pm
If you call a man a slut, usually he will be like, "You think I'm a slut? Cool!"

The response from a woman will usually be the exact opposite, and she may even get violently upset about it.

My question is, who is responsible for this double standard?

I say that women are almost completely responsible, because they have perpetuated the idea that being promiscuous is something shameful. Women are the ones, for the most part, who will talk bad about other women by using some derogatory term for how slutty or whorish they are. Women are the ones that try to maintain an image of purity and sweet innocence, no matter how slutty they really are.

Men have no problem with it, because it is nothing to be ashamed of. If women didn't have the inner guilt and shame that they themselves perpetuate, the term slut wouldn't have any power over them, and they could run around shouting from the rooftops, "I'm a slut, and I'm damn proud of it!!!"

Don't you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,153 • Replies: 90
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
Hmm.. as I was reading this , I formed an answer in my head that may not be acceptable.. ..
I see what you mean and agree but our society is made up of more then just women.
Yeah, we women are vicious. We are our worst enemy. But it isnt just women who are using the word slut as an insult. Men do it to. They do it to women. They use it to describe women in a shitty way and sometimes as a compliment.
I personally think it is a 2 way street. General rule of thumb..... Behavior that isnt reciprocated usually isnt repeated....
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
Sure. Women set the standard for society. So why not set the bar high and force people to work to achieve it rather than setting it low where everyone can achieve? Besides, who says you can't have it both ways - prim and proper in public and a whore in the bedroom, with your husband?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:50 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/noway.gif Careful now!

What be your definition of a "slut???"

Then I'll tell ya if I am one or not http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/shifty.gif

A good woman KNOWS how to be a slut.....when bein' a sluts good :wink:
I just hate that word!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:50 pm
Re: SLUT!
kickycan wrote:
If you call a man a slut, usually he will be like, "You think I'm a slut? Cool!"

Don't you agree?

No, you slut.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:52 pm
Piffka wrote:

No, you slut.

Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
Piffka wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Don't you agree?

No, you slut.

You think I'm a slut? Cool!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/noway.gif Careful now!

What be your definition of a "slut???"

Then I'll tell ya if I am one or not http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/shifty.gif

A good woman KNOWS how to be a slut.....when bein' a sluts good :wink:
I just hate that word!

Aaaaaaaahhhhh...... my thoughts exactly.
( high - 5 ) hehe
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
I personally think that the demeaning of women in a sexual nature began with religion.
I will NOT specify any religion because this isnt a religious thread.. but .. It wasnt until then that sexuality came into question and people learned shame and discomfort for thier desires and were taught that being repressed was a good thing....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:02 pm
...thinking about what shewolf said about how men use the term in a derogatory way also...this is true, but we do it far less than women. If a guy is talking to a woman and calls her a slut, then usually, yes, he's insulting her. But if he's in a bar and he sees some girl who is dressed slutty, and he says, "that girl looks slutty", it's more a compliment than an insult.

When we use it in an argument, it's only because we realize that it's a hot button that we can push, because of their own insecurities about it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:07 pm
women dont use it that often either. And on the other side of the table.. ( from a womans point of view) men use it alot. Im sure it seems that way to a man.... ( women use it alot...etc)
ANd for all the same reasons you stated.
We hate how other women are dressed... or
We love the way some woman is dressed and consider the word a compliment, In an arguement.. it is a hot button....
hmm.... men and women are alot alike huh? ;-)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
The only men I have heard called sluts were gay. I don't think the word fits the single-swinging hinge hetero male. There are two words used for women that don't seem to have a male equivalent, they are "slut' and "bimbo". Someone once told me that the male counterpart of bimbo was doofus, but that's not right. Both words have the right dummy quotient but bimbo has a slight sexual overtone of easiness. One can conceive of rolling around on a waterbed with a bimbo, but not with a doofus, at least not knowingly.

Which brings us back to slut. A hetero man cannot be a slut. He can be a ladiesman, he can be a cocksman, he can be a boulevardier, a prowler, a player but he cannot be a slut. Please note that none of those descriptions are prejorative, they all have a certain free charm about them. That's another one, charmer.

If a man and a women go their separate ways on a evening and they both hook up with more than one partner before returning home, he arrives a ladiesman, she arrives a slut.

We need to think of a descriptive word ..... predator?????

Naw, still sounds like something i'd like to be.

Joe (How you doin') Nation
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:17 pm
I think the terminology varies among age groups and regions. I've had friends who would say "You're such a slut!" and mean it admiringly/jokingly.

Others would consider slut to be a word not to be used in mixed company.

I've heard "himbo" for a male bimbo.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:19 pm
No, no, I think the stigma of a "slut" comes soley
from the male world. Very few men will touch a woman
who's foolishly admitted to being promiscuous and
has had more lovers than themselves.

They (men) then call her a slut. It's derogative and
never ever a compliment - at least I would never see it
as one.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:19 pm
I think 'slut' is mostly gender specific - it's not really a word applied to men so there's an element of humour when it is. It's like calling a guy a bitch - it doesn't have the same power/weight.

Language has power and we're a patriarchal society so guess who's wielding these power tools...

And regardless if a man or woman calls a woman a slut it's just as nasty if delivered with feeling.

So what is the word for a promiscuous male constantly looking for sex with different people? (Who said 'typical'?) Back in the 1980s it was 'stud'. Weigh that against 'slut' and you have further evidence of gender inequality in language reflecting the greater inequality in society.

On the other hand, I can't think of an equivalent of bastard for women.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
bimbo = masculine
bimbonette = feminine Mr. Green
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:34 pm
Tramp can be used for men cant it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:35 pm
Man-whore.

That is a good one. heehhe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:37 pm
Yeah, a man who is a tramp lives down near the tracks and cooks his dinty moore stew in the can.

A woman who is a tramp,,,,,,,,,
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:40 pm
hmm... good point joe.

Even the word tramp with that defination isnt used for women. They are just simply called homeless.
i wonder if any other languages/societies have these terms?? Or if it is just socialy acceptable in america?
0 Replies