doesn't that seem silly to you all?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:15 pm
nah its consistent with the logic of the Bush team
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:24 pm
Silly to say the least, but I agree with dys that it's consistent with the logic of the Bush team. It doesn't surprise me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:31 pm
No, I guess it's not a surprise.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:45 pm
williamhenry3 wrote:
Sofia<

It's always better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
Can't imagine anyone disagreeing with that.
Remember, too, that what you don't want to hear is probably what you need to hear the most. Then, perhaps you should be regaled with conservative actors, spouting their political opinions ...

Blacklisting is robbing a person of their livelihood merely because of their political beliefs. What a horrible time the McCarthy Era was. The First Amendment was thrown out the window. People's careers were ruined, and you wondered if your next-door neighbor was a spy.I agree, hence my statement.

Today's ultra-right wing conservative radio talk show hosts are our modern versions of Joe McCarthy. BS. They are talkers, with no power to do anything but talk. What the public chooses to do with information they recieve is where the power is. You may choose to dismiss it, someone else may choose to take some sort of action... Among their most hated actors and actresses are: Jane ("Hanoi Jane") Fonda, a hold-over STILL [/i]from the Vietnam War era; Sean Penn; Susan Sarandon; Tim Robbins; and Martin Sheen.

These men and women are being exposed today to a national smear campaign over the talk-radio airwaves. It is disgusting to me when a person can't speak his/her own mind without fear of losing their job.Disgusting to me, as well. This means Rush, Savage et al (no matter what you or I may think of them), have a right to air their views.

That's been what's wrong with the GOP at least since the McCarthyism days: you play on our team by our rules or else we will brand you as un-American, and we will hound you from our midst as an unfit person with which to live.The Bush admin hasn't deemed these people unAmerican. The public seems to be having a debate about it.

Sophia, are you clairvoyant? If not, then how do you know Bruce Willis likes Dubya? You picked it up somewhere from the centrist media. So, let's not be calling the kettle black here, please.
Nope. Not clairvoyant. I saw Bruce Willis as a keynote speaker at a Bush function. Think it was related to Faith based initiative. Bush introduced Willis as a friend. It was obvious by Bruce's appearance there, and by his remarks that he is a supporter. Possibly, the reason you were unaware of this, is that most conservative artists don't go about bleating their political opinions, as the liberal ones do.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:15 pm
Ahnold Goes to Washington

http://www.schwarzenegger.com/en/news/uptotheminute/news_upto_en_arn_wash.asp?sec=news&subsec=uptotheminute
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:26 pm
Charlton Heston is soooooo subtle
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:31 pm
he and William Shatner must have had the same acting teacher
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:36 pm
Chuck is/was the Pres of the NRA. He owes them a little talking.
You know, I didn't realize just how well-behaved the conservative artists were until I started racking my brain, trying to come up with some who take podiums at non-political events, and wax politics...

Don't think Shatner is conservative. Think he is just wacky.
(But I love him. SUCH DRAMA!)

IMO, Ahnold shows how it should be done. He didn't take the Oscars hostage. He went to Washington, and is working to improve education. Don't see how this could be construed as anything but positive...
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:55 pm
Sofia, face it, there just aren't that many Conservative "artists".

Did you know that the No Child Left Behind act requires public secondary schools to provide military recruiters with access to facilities, and contact information for every student, or face a cut-off of all federal aid?

If you're not in favor of that, then perhaps Ahnold's visit to Washington isn't so positive.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:14 pm
Violet-
Do you have the statistics on conservative/Liberal artists?
A link to what you describe as part of the No Child Left Behind military access thing?

Still think public service is a good thing.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:26 pm
Public service is a good thing as long as it's on a voluntary basis. I'll dig up a link on the No Child act... read it originally in a Mother Jones article.

As for statistics... I sure don't have a statistic on conservative/liberal numbers. It's reasonable to assume most artists (I guess we're refering mostly to actors & singers) are liberal, or vote Democrat. Steve Martin joked about it at the Oscars. Can you think of any more... other than the ones we've already mentioned? Perhaps it's not that they're more socially couth than their liberal counterparts, instead it could be that there just aren't that many.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:33 pm
And, perhaps they are more couth.
Will happily leave it at a draw (thought I suspect there are fewer Conserves, who are more couth...)

I am wrestled away by daughter, and am glad we are not trying to choke one another over this issue.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:41 pm
Draw it is... we'll leave the choking for another time Wink
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:49 pm
This is the article I read:

Quote:

There's a lot of info available in addition. Try a google search on "No Child Left Behind military recruiters".

Quote:
No Child Left Alone By Military Recruiters
by Leah C Wells
http://www.commondreams.org/views02/1206-08.htm
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:49 pm
To be a conservative of the right-wing Republican variety and an artist just doesn't happen. Right-wingers don't have the sensitivities nor the sensibilties to be taken seriously as "artists."

The Republicans love to drag out Arnold, Bruce and Charlton as "artists."

Ain't so; these guys don't know "art." Their motion pictures usually suggest violence as a way to handle life's problems. In fact, most of the far-right Republicans, including Dubya, seem to prefer this method of problem-solving. In fact, we have a brand-new foreign policy whose core is violence.

What delightful role models for our children, these Republican "non-artists."
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 05:53 am
Of course. The evil neo-con non-artists! Sheild your children from them. PeeWee Herman, Cher and Sean Penn have led much more instructive lives.

What a ridiculous statement. I thought the conservatives were supposed to be the bigoted ones. It is unhealthy to make huge, sweeping, dissmissive statements about a large group of people. And just wrong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:18 am
You guys are a hoot, vesting intellectual prowess in celebs regardless of their bent is beyond inane. My plumber probably has more political insight than the typical hollyweirder. To pay heed to the offerings of such ilk says a great deal more about their audience than about their wisdom. PeeWee Herman to Charlton Heston, yikes, the motley crew of americana.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:22 am
That was my point.
They all need to shut it.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:33 am
They can do what they like. One can decide to shut them out or not.
0 Replies