Voters Support Kerry

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 04:50 am
William, your link isn't working.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 06:02 am
sofia:

Both of Kerry's wives were big $$. That says it all. Doesn't it?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:07 am
New haven--
Yep.
He used Teresa's private jet to go around the country campaigning.

Of course, he paid for use of the jet-----but the money he paid went back into his own account.

Violet is right. All politicos have their shortcomings. Seems Kerry is going to be answering alot of finance questions. Doesn't help in your quest to go against "fat cats", when you are the richest member of congress.

About Gary Hart. The Clinton sex thing may have brought Hart back into the limelight. Extramarital sex isn't a death knell any longer. But, the newsies are forever bleating about 'gravitas', as if it means something to voters. I almost think gravitas is how tall you are.... I actually think a better wardrobe and some facial grooming would take care of Hart's lack of gravitas.

Kerry is loaded with gravitas. Tall, well groomed, good suits...
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 10:19 am
An interesting side story is his marriage to Teresa - widow of Pennsylvania senator John Heinz. She's an interesting lady...

http://johnkerry.convio.com/site/PageServer?pagename=teresa_bio&show_wrapper=1
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 10:36 am
Violet<

I suppose CNN has taken down the link I sent you. Sorry.

Basically, it was a story about Howard Dean's attracting funds from Hollywood stars, including Michael Douglas and his wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I'm glad Dean's being funded so well. However, the lunatic right-wingers of the GOP will paint an ugly picture of Dean solely because he is getting so much money from movie actors and actresses.

The GOP, of course, thinks actors and actresses who don't agree with them are traitors to the country. In fact, the Hollywood money would probably be accepted gladly by the GOP, but who wants to support a party corrupted by the power of money?

But since the Dubya administration is akin to the McCarthy Era, I hope Mr. and Mrs. Douglas, both Oscar winners, will not have their reputations slandered by a vicious right-wing.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 10:51 am
and end up having to move to Mexico...

The GOP have Ted Nugent, Charlie Daniels, and Charlton Heston. Their hero was an actor, ex-Democrat, and McCarthyite fingerpointer. Go figure Shocked
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:03 pm
I think the public, not the GOP, have spoken their dissatisfaction with the actors/actresses/singers, who talk politics.

You know, the left has the same ability to boycott conservative actors if they choose.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:33 pm
Sofia wrote:
You know, the left has the same ability to boycott conservative actors if they choose.

I know, Sofia, but I woudn't boycott Ted Nugent, Charlie Daniels, and Charlton Heston because of their political views. I stay away from their stuff because they suck Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:36 pm
Waaaaait a minute. I love Heston he always gets all vengeful and angry in his movies:

"gooooood daaaaam yoooou, goooood daaaam you all to heeeeell"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:41 pm
and every bit as fine an actor as, say, John Wayne
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:43 pm
I have to admit I did like the first couple of Planet of the Apes movies... they're kinda like the ultimate anti-war movies Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:44 pm
I grew up watching Ben Hur and other old films.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:52 pm
Me too!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 04:27 pm
Bruce Willis is a big W fan, as well as Morgan Fairchild.

Bruce heads up some deal for W. But, he doesn't go around talking politics at acting functions.... Matter of fact, I can't think of any conservatives that use their platforms as actors to talk politics.

I think the rub lies therein....
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 05:32 pm
Don't forget Ahnold... who I heard is planning to run for office.

So we have:

Ted Nugent
Charlie Daniels
Charlton Heston
Bruce Willis
Morgan Fairchild
Ahnold

I'd like to see them all in one movie... maybe a mad mad mad mad world type movie Wink

Sofia wrote:
he doesn't go around talking politics at acting functions

Is it just acting functions that are off bounds?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:23 pm
Honestly, NO functions are out of bounds, as far as I'm concerned.

But, it pisses me off to be watching the Oscars and get a lesson in partisan politics from Susan Sarandon. Or anyone. These people, IMV, are afforded lavish lifestyles to act or sing. I don't need Janeane Garofalo to share her political views with me.

I just feel personally that everyone has the right to say whatever they choose-- they should just be willing to accept the consequences.

Blacklisting, however, is an unacceptable consequence. There is sort of a weird, squiggly line between blacklisting and choosing actors who are unpopular due to their political views. I mean, if West Wing were to take a dive in the ratings, would the powers behind the show be guilty of something if they fired Sheen? If no one else wanted to hire him because of negative public sentiment, would he be 'blacklisted'?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:20 pm
Sofia<

It's always better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

Remember, too, that what you don't want to hear is probably what you need to hear the most.

Blacklisting is robbing a person of their livelihood merely because of their political beliefs. What a horrible time the McCarthy Era was. The First Amendment was thrown out the window. People's careers were ruined, and you wondered if your next-door neighbor was a spy.

Today's ultra-right wing conservative radio talk show hosts are our modern versions of Joe McCarthy. Among their most hated actors and actresses are: Jane ("Hanoi Jane") Fonda, a hold-over STILL [/i]from the Vietnam War era; Sean Penn; Susan Sarandon; Tim Robbins; and Martin Sheen.

These men and women are being exposed today to a national smear campaign over the talk-radio airwaves. It is disgusting to me when a person can't speak his/her own mind without fear of losing their job.

That's been what's wrong with the GOP at least since the McCarthyism days: you play on our team by our rules or else we will brand you as un-American, and we will hound you from our midst as an unfit person with which to live.

Sophia, are you clairvoyant? If not, then how do you know Bruce Willis likes Dubya? You picked it up somewhere from the centrist media. So, let's not be calling the kettle black here, please.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:52 am
Did anyone else hear about the repub's plan to bad-mouth Kerry by saying that he looks French and has an haughty air? I heard it on NPR and don't know if it was a spoof or not. Must be a spoof. Please tell me it was a spoof.....
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:03 pm
I read about the "looks French" quote... I think it was attributed to one of Bush's advisors.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:07 pm
littlek i read it as well on a web site, assume its a ligit statement of GOB intentions
0 Replies