Why I left the Democratic Party

maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Can’t watch the video. What are your thoughts on it?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 11:04 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

When people tell me they are confused as to what my intentions are, they ought to have that post bookmarked, to refer to for my answer.

I don't think anyone's confused anymore edgar.

You're content to let things like Sandy Hook, Parkland, Vegas continue to happen for as long as it takes until a truly, wholly, progressive party that agrees with all of it's members entirely (except Lash who is fine with more guns...gosh, we have disagreement already).

You're content to let people suffer without healthcare they can afford utnil your wholly progressive party can take charge and overrule any minority party opposition (why even vote in the Senate/House?).

You're content to let the world burn (so-to-speak), I think, because you know that you're not going to be here long enough to suffer the consequences.

That's cowardly, sir.

OMG, now I'm about too defend edgar! Shocked

Because you are willing to compromise certain of your principles in order to achieve ends you believe are worth the sacrifice doesn't mean that someone who is not (edgar) is either actively or passively abetting the world's conflagration (figuratively or otherwise)

To start with, you have absolutely no guarantee that the moderate to conservative Democrats you are willing to cast your vote for will come through for you (and America) on any given issue. While it's true that there is a better chance that the "progressive agenda" will be realized if there are more Democrats than Republicans in Congress, by now you should be aware that you (nor edgar for that matter) can rely on even the most ideologically pure progressives in Congress to vote in a manner that conforms with either your notion or the more widely agreed upon notion of the "progressive agenda." Time and time again I have been frustrated and angered by Republicans who have failed to cast votes for legislation that was in line with the “conservative agenda.” I appreciate the need for compromise and am not willing to throw out the good in a futile pursuit of the perfect, but time and time again the Republicans who have disappointed me have not done so because in their judgment a compromise in the here and now would further advancement of conservative goals in the future, but because a yay or nay vote on one particular bill would purchase a supporting vote on a bill they needed to pass for the advancement of their career.

I believe that the pursuit of enlightened self-interest will eventually and in general lead, imperfectly, to the best interests of all, but this is not some natural law upon which we can always rely and the dynamics can be thrown off the rail by individuals who limit themselves to the pursuit of venal self-interest that takes no care in what it’s achievement means to the interests of the whole. The system works when our legislators act as representatives of our interests, seeking to please a significant number of citizens. When they work solely or even mainly to promote their own interests, even at the expense of their constituents’ interests, the result is corruption, and systems break down when corrupted.

Voting for someone with whom you have no ideals in common simply because they are running as a member of one party or the other is too great a sacrifice if the candidate in question doesn’t, ultimately, advance your desired agenda in some way, and while, again, that person is probably a better bet than the candidate from the other party, unless voters make known their dissatisfaction with the candidates their party is putting up, there will be no change in the choices offered to them, and they will continue to have to hold their noses when they vote.

It’s not unreasonable to argue that this is too idealistic a view to have if any of the agenda is to be advanced, but it is unfair to argue because someone holds this view and is playing the long game while you are focused on the present that they are in some way responsible for legislation passed by the opposition party that won the seat because not enough party members had a pragmatist’s view of voting. If people are currently suffering with their healthcare or there aren’t in place the gun regulations you favor, you can’t draw a straight line between those circumstances and edgar’s refusal to vote for just any Democrat.

Regardless of what you or edgar may think of the Tea Party, the movement was created by conservatives who like edgar weren’t content with the candidates their ostensible party kept offering them. Contrary to what you probably believe the movement wasn’t formed to explore ways to oppress minorities and fill the coffers of mega-corporations. People who had such things on their agenda made efforts to influence and seize control of the movement, but this is always the way of effective grassroots efforts. I was there at the beginning and while I suppose it’s possible that the members of my community who joined me were secret operatives for the Koch brothers, I doubt it very much. We were tired of Establishment Republicans who paid lip service to conservative ideals while running for office but found all sorts of reasons for abandoning them once they were ensconced in their DC offices. Our goal was to identify conservative candidates who regardless of whether they had the backing of the local GOP, we felt were worth our support…and then we gave them all the support we could muster. Again, regardless of what you think of the movement, it worked “Tea Party Candidates” won in primary battles against the Establishment shills and then they won against Democrats. As a result, it moved the party to the right.

Sitting on your ass and grousing about your party and refusing to vote for its candidates is an empty gesture if that’s all you do, but it still doesn’t make you personally responsible for the policies of the person who wins the election. I’ve no idea what edgar is doing to change the Democrat party or to help fortify or create a new party that better represents his ideals, but he is under no compulsion to vote for candidates whom he dislikes or distrusts simply because they have a “D” next to their names. Whining about the edgars of the world is sour grapes behavior. Your guy or gal didn’t win and now you want to lash out at all the reasons other than the ones that matter. Rather than trying to shame people like edgar into voting a straight Democrat ticket, you should be following his lead and doing what you can to influence the party’s selection of candidates…particularly if you essentially agree with edgar’s ideals.

If you’re a left-winger, and a left-wing agenda can’t get a Democrat elected, there’s something dishonest, dishonorable, and, frankly, stupid about casting your support for an essentially conservative candidate masquerading as a Democrat; in the hopes that they are actually a stealth-lefty who, once elected by the conservative rubes in your district, will tow a left-leaning party line. Achieving goals are important but so is how you achieve them.
maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 06:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I’ll admit to being a tad hyperbolic in my rhetoric. It serves to prove a point is all. I told you earlier yesterday that I have a low tolerance for this idiocy.

Also I would hope you know by know that I’m also not the type of person who would suggest that all the Tea Partiers were getting checks from the Koch brothers or that many of the members were duped.

What they did right (in their view) was push for change WITHIN the Republican Party. What some are suggesting or even doing is pushing/voting for these third party candidates. That’s just idiocy if you’re looking to have any chance of progressing your agenda.

I’ve often said here hat pushing for as far left of a candidate as you want during the primaries is great and fantastic. But come November if you don’t show up and vote for whomever has the greatest chance of passing your agenda then you’re an idiot.
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 06:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You’re awesome.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 01:27 pm
Quote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote to: maporsche
regardless of what you think of the Tea Party movement, it worked “Tea Party Candidates” won in primary battles against the Establishment shills and then they won against Democrats. As a result, it moved the party to the right.
Finn, you are absolutely correct that the Tea Party movement was very effective in moving the republican party further to the right. The Tea Party was effective because they had more far right wingers challenging and running against the moderate republicans in the primaries. As a result, many tea party republicans were defeating moderate republicans in the primaries. That affect had all republicans looking over their shoulders of possibly being challenged and defeating by someone further to their right in their next primary. Due to self preservation, the incumbent republicans were forced to move as far to the right as they can. The republican voters ultimately got behind the winner of the primaries and voted for those candidates in the general election. The Tea Party moved the republican party further to the right by running far right wing conservatives against the moderates in their primaries.

One side note: There may have been various reasons for the Tea Party movement. I do believe that the Koch brothers played the single biggest role in the Tea Party movement. Yes, I strongly oppose both the Tea Party and the Koch brothers. I also acknowledge that the both the Koch bothers and the Tea Party were very effective in moving the republican party further to the right. I also wish and hope the democrats can learn from what they did and try to duplicate that strategy and help move the democratic party further to the left.

Quote:
maporsche wrote to: Finn dAbuzz,
What the Tea Party did right (in their view) was push for change WITHIN the Republican Party. What some are suggesting or even doing is pushing/voting for these third party candidates. That’s just idiocy if you’re looking to have any chance of progressing your agenda.

I’ve often said here that pushing for as far left of a candidate as you want during the primaries is great and fantastic. But come November if you don’t show up and vote for whomever has the greatest chance of passing your agenda then you’re an idiot.
Maporsche, You also made excellent points. If we progressive voters want to move the democratic party further to the left, I believe we would be better off doing it from WITHIN the democratic party. To be more specific, I believe we progressives would be better off fighting to get more left-wing progressives running in the primaries. I also believe progressives voting for third party candidates is counter-productive and will ultimately not move the democratic party to the left. I also believe progressives staying home and not voting is counter-productive. I also believe that every progressive who votes for third party candidates or don't vote at all, ultimately benefits the republican party and conservatives.

One side note: I do believe the democratic party would become a stronger party by moving further to the left. I also believe that the democratic party needs more far left-wingers challenging incumbent democrats in the primaries. I also believe the democratic party would become much stronger if incumbent democrats always feared someone from the far left will possibly challenge and defeat them in their next primary. Due to self preservation, that would forced incumbent democrats to move as far left as they feasibly can. That is how we can move the democratic party to the left. By the way, because I agree with the democrats more, I will always vote democrats over the republicans.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 02:08 pm
@Real Music,
If we progressive voters want to move the democratic party further to the left, I believe we would be better off doing it from WITHIN the democratic party.

But first you have to have the Democratic party let progressives in or it will never happen.
Real Music

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 03:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But first you have to have the Democratic party let progressives in or it will never happen.
This upcoming November we are going to have various Governor races, U.S. House races, U.S. senate races, and State House races all over the country. I don't know all of the particulars in the many upcoming races this November. It seems like in this current political climate, the democratic candidates have been moving more to the left for this upcoming election. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what it seems like.

There can be many reasons this might be true. Some of the reasons might include the student protest all over the country on gun violence issues. Some other reasons might be the teachers striking in different states and cities across the country for better pay. Some other reasons is the opposition to the republican tax cut. There are many important issues. It just seems like these particular issues are the ones that has democrats attention at this moment.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 03:45 pm
@Real Music,
There is a movement left, but also a strong movement by establishment Dems to torpedo the liberals.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 03:48 pm
@Real Music,
worth a good re-read for a number of people

Real Music wrote:
To be more specific, I believe we progressives would be better off fighting to get more left-wing progressives running in the primaries.

I also believe progressives voting for third party candidates is counter-productive and will ultimately not move the democratic party to the left.

I also believe progressives staying home and not voting is counter-productive.

I also believe that every progressive who votes for third party candidates or don't vote at all, ultimately benefits the republican party and conservatives.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2018 04:08 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Maporsche, You also made excellent points. If we progressive voters want to move the democratic party further to the left, I believe we would be better off doing it from WITHIN the democratic party. To be more specific, I believe we progressives would be better off fighting to get more left-wing progressives running in the primaries. I also believe progressives voting for third party candidates is counter-productive and will ultimately not move the democratic party to the left. I also believe progressives staying home and not voting is counter-productive. I also believe that every progressive who votes for third party candidates or don't vote at all, ultimately benefits the republican party and conservatives.

I don't know. I'm sort of mirroring this regarding the pro-gun Republicans. I'm planning to vote for a third party if I don't see some movement on pro-gun legislation.

That may help the anti-gun Democrats in the short term, but the pro-gun Republicans need to learn that if they want me to turn out for them, they need to keep me happy.

If I followed your thinking, I'd keep happily voting for pro-gun Republicans while they continuously screwed me over and didn't pass any gun reform.

No thanks.

Real Music wrote:
One side note: I do believe the democratic party would become a stronger party by moving further to the left. I also believe that the democratic party needs more far left-wingers challenging incumbent democrats in the primaries. I also believe the democratic party would become much stronger if incumbent democrats always feared someone from the far left will possibly challenge and defeat them in their next primary. Due to self preservation, that would forced incumbent democrats to move as far left as they feasibly can. That is how we can move the democratic party to the left. By the way, because I agree with the democrats more, I will always vote democrats over the republicans.

You're wrong here. Moving to the left is a losing strategy for the Democrats.

If the Democrats manage to retake the White House some 19 years from now, it will be by moving to the center.

But in the short term it doesn't matter. Since the Democrats will be out of power for a couple decades anyway, they can move to the left or not without it making any real difference.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 01:03 pm
Inside the Houston House runoff that Democrats are watching.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/inside-the-houston-house-runoff-that-democrats-are-watching/ar-AAvCy2I?ocid=UE13DHP
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 01:17 pm
@Real Music,
I can't vote in that one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 01:18 pm
I believe once and for all that a candidate does not own anybody's vote. They must earn it first.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 02:47 pm
@Real Music,
Is either one going to get past the Republican? I hope someone's polling that question.

It looks like an opportunity for the Democrats. I hope they don't squander it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 01:34 am
This one, for Bob the Dys.

Vote Kucinich. Vote often.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2018/04/09/feature/the-vindication-of-dennis-kucinich/?utm_term=.1932d1e1f255
Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 06:41 am
https://theintercept.com/2018/03/30/dan-lipinski-marie-newman-no-labels-illinois-primary-election/

Bernie hated more by the Democrats than far right policy.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 07:14 am
@Lash,
People don't like to read articles like this, because it interferes with their scenario wherein we vote blue in lockstep, without considering what we are getting in return.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 04:14 pm
maporsche

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 04:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can't watch the video. What are you thoughts on what you posted?
0 Replies