Why I left the Democratic Party

maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 07:40 am
@Olivier5,
So you have a problem with the 250b number too then? It says straight up that many lawmakers, including one of the authors of the bill think 50b was too low.

Seems to me like we’ve had a law for 8 years, it’s implemented many many reforms (many of which will be kept, even by these banks) has been slightly loosened and that it maybe isn’t the worst thing in the world.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 07:50 am
@maporsche,
Seems to me you can thank the Republicans and a few DINOs in the senate for a bill that will probably make your own professional life easier, as a banker. Did you buy the bottle of champ yet?
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 08:11 am
@Olivier5,
You’re making this personal because you can feel yourself losing in this discussion. I recognize this.

1) I work in project management in operations. I’ve never touched anything regarding stress tests or government oversight.

2) The bank I work for is well under even the 50b old limit and this law would not apply to my bank.

So, no. It’s not personal. It’s logical.
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 08:56 am
@Olivier5,
Twenty people in my extended family have a wide range of firearms, including ARs.

None of us have ever used a gun in a threatening way.

You can’t have our guns.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:21 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Twenty people in my extended family have a wide range of firearms, including ARs.

None of us have ever used a gun in a threatening way.

Yet.

The same could be said for most of the mass shooters.

The problem is people who put their pathetic need to have a gun, so they can feel important, above the lives of children.
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:28 am
@izzythepush,
I assert that normal people don’t use guns violently—abnormal people do.

Statistics support that two types of people are responsible for the majority of gun suicides and homicides: mentally ill people and those who act violently at home, evidenced by 911 calls and law enforcement interactions.

These people should be prevented from buying and possessing firearms. When cops are called to a domestic violence disturbance, any firearms at the home should be removed, and a careful application process should be followed before their return.
oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:42 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Oh my gaaaad! What a shame. Next thing you know, civilians won't be able to own nuclear weapons anymore, because they are deemed too dangerous to society, or something.

Except having a pistol grip on a gun is not dangerous at all. Such bans are being advocated simply because the Freedom Haters enjoy violating civil rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:43 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Oh sorry, got you wrong. So your plan is what? to block obvious nutcases from buying guns? Brilliant! What about the rest of us, the not-so-obvious nutcases?

People have rights in America. If you can't produce a good reason why an individual should be deprived of their guns, then they get to keep their guns.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:44 am
@Lash,
Normal people don't want guns, abnormal people do.

Your insane gun laws are the reason so many children get murdered, and why there are so many suicides.

Guns make killing very easy indeed, once you've pulled the trigger that's it, no time for second thoughts.

Have you ever seen Last Week Tonight with John Oliver? The last show was all about NRA TV show. It was insane, a load of paranoid fear driven bollocks designed to frighten people into buying more and more guns. Al Qaida and IS are lurking around the corner and when they strike the government will be to overwhelmed to do anything.

You're all being played by the arms industry and you willingly go along with it. Take your little paranoid outburst, accusing Olly of trying to take your guns away. How the **** can some Frenchman do that? He has no say over your government, he's not even in your country, yet just one mention of gun control provokes such a frightened response.

No civilised society needs guns, the 2nd amendment is an anachronism. That's blindingly obvious to anyone not drip fed a daily dose of piss and fear.

We can't change your laws, we have no say in them whatsoever, but we're glad to live in societies where common sense prevails over piss and fear.

And I'm sorry to say that when you start talking about guns you sound deranged.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:47 am
@maporsche,
Why thanks for the full disclosure, that's useful. So you support this bill out of logic? That places you on the right of the Democratic party, Schumer included.

I'm not losing anything, BTW. You guys are losing your democracy, selling it to the highest bidder. Now Trump sold it to the Russians. But you're cool because you're winning an Internet argument, arguing in favor of the Republicans tearing down Dodd-Frank, a key part of Obama's legacy. Ain't you proud?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:50 am
@Lash,
Quote:
You can’t have our guns.

Ok so your kids will keep being slaughtered at what rate? 50 times more often than in other industrial countries?

Suits me if it suits you.
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:52 am
@Olivier5,
You’re playing a very good chicken little here.

There is no good reason I’ve seen to freak out about this bill. Barney Frank, the namesake of the Dodd Frank bill has said that this does not make a serious dent in his excellent bill.

“I would vote against this bill,” says former Rep. Barney Frank, a Democrat who helped spearhead the namesake Dodd-Frank Act. “But I understand the pressure to vote for it, and I don’t think the bill makes a serious dent in what we did.”

If Barney Frank, who knows more about banking than you or I, thinks this is a nothing-burger then who are you to argue?

There are much bigger things going on in Trumps government to fret over.
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:52 am
@Olivier5,
I propose changes that will disarm people who are proven to be likely to murder.
oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Normal people don't want guns, abnormal people do.

That's your serf upbringing speaking.

izzythepush wrote:
Your insane gun laws are the reason so many children get murdered, and why there are so many suicides.

Hardly insane. And no, our gun laws are not the cause of any murders or suicides.

izzythepush wrote:
No civilised society needs guns, the 2nd amendment is an anachronism.

It may seem that freedom is an anachronism to a serf who has never experienced freedom. But no. It will never be an anachronism in America.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Ok so your kids will keep being slaughtered at what rate? 50 times more often than in other industrial countries?

It's not like the guns are the cause of the slaughter to begin with.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:58 am
@izzythepush,
My family had guns predating my awareness of the existence of the NRA. You’re fueled by a steel-trap opinion and a lot of assumption.

Obviously, I don’t think Olivier is in a position to affect American gun ownership; it was a general statement.

I hope for the day that you can maintain an argument without insult or personal digression.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:03 am
@Lash,
I'm not fuelled by any such thing. I live in a country where school shootings stopped back in the 1990s after Dunblane. You live in a country where they're an almost daily occurrence.

It's obvious why that is, but you tie yourself up in knots trying to prove otherwise because you're all so frightened. Anything is to blame but guns, that's nonsensical. Guns are to blame, only guns.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:03 am
@maporsche,
If Frank would vote against the bill, that's good enough for me. The damage it could do to the financial sector remains to be seen, but the political damage -- in terms of a dozen senate democrats seen as helping a repukes' effort to tear down Obama's legacy -- is already done.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:04 am
@Lash,
Your changes are cosmetic, like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. They won't do much at all.
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
I’d like to see the results of the changes. I’m confident the ridiculous numbers of dead would plummet.

We need to add devastating penalties to sellers who don’t do their due diligence.