Why I left the Democratic Party

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:22 am
@izzythepush,
I’m a long-time proponent of a lot of drug legalization and taxation. Put the bad guys out of business. I think it would have very good ripples through at least my society.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:26 am
@Lash,
Britain is not America, after Dunblane there was a huge public outcry against guns. And the general public wants even further tightening.

Discussing America's guns from our perspective reminds me of the old joke where someone driving in the country asks for directions and gets the reply, 'Well I wouldn't start from here.'

Britain post Dunblane was, and is, very different from America today. I wouldn't start from here, but here we are.
Lash

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:30 am
@izzythepush,
And that one concession enables useful dialogue that can bring change.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:39 am
In my view America's drug industry is the same as the banks and other industries: The highest profit possible at all costs. Which is why they concentrate on symptoms and lifelong dependency on symptom treatments, even when they have to make you imagine you need it. They cause far more deaths than alternative products.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:45 am
@Lash,
It's America's problem and Americans are going to have to sort it out. We can say what works over here, but we can't tell you what to do. One significant difference is the amount of legal firearms in circulation. No way near as many over here, and gun owners were a very tiny minority of the population.

No NRA, and no real votes to be lost for advocating gun control.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 01:40 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
this might have been my suspicion but it's never nice to see it in print (with numbers behind it)

Quote:
Schaffner found that what distinguished Sanders-Trump voters from Sanders-Clinton voters wasn’t their attitudes about trade, but their attitudes about race.

Interesting, yeah. I wasn't surprised that Sanders-Trump voters would be motivated in significant part by Trump's appeals to racism. More surprised that his appeals to isolationism (eg on trade) would not have played a distinguishing role.

Still worth keeping in mind what the article says about how the share of Sanders-Trump voters was actually relatively low. Much lower than the share of Clinton-McCain voters in '08, for one. Who, as the piece mentions, were unsurprisingly also defined by racial prejudice.

Two wrongs don't make a right, of course. Still, I for one was rather surprised that there had been so many more Clinton-McCain voters than Sanders-Trump ones. I thought the PUMA phenomenon had been mostly hype and trickery. And the fact that there were actually few Sanders-Trump voters, in comparison, was not one that seemed particularly well reflected in media coverage - and definitely not in social media discussions...
camlok

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 04:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Neil, whose undercover experiences are captured in his book Good Cop, Bad War, published in August, said the US Government pulled the plug on the experiment by pressuring John Major’s UK Government to shut it down.

Aren't there many Americans who are whining about Russian influence on their country?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 04:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The only way to get them to act is to get big money out of politics. The only way to do that is throw most of the bastards out in both parties.

The problem, Edgar, simply lies in that buying politicians is and has been a regular part of politics forever.

"Government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations."
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 04:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
and that's exacerbated by people like Alex Jones whipping people up into a frenzy.

You have an Alex Jones fixation, Izzy. Is it his hair style you like so much or the husky voice?

Americans have a long history of all manner of Alex Joneses making them the most paranoid people on the planet. Everyone with a brain knows that no one is easier to control than paranoid people.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 04:58 pm
@Lash,
You are making way way too much sense, Lash. Are you sure that you are an American?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 05:00 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
What about mandatory participation and training within a well-regulated militia?

To ensure that you aren't invaded by the people of Tuvulu.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 05:10 pm
Kudos to the badass American in West Virginia!! I think people are finally fed up.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/a-progressive-revolt-is-brewing-in-west-virginia-w516647

There is a revolt brewing in West Virginia politics. Last Friday Lissa Lucas, an author and celebrated backyard chicken farmer from Cairo, in the northwestern part of the state, brought the fight to the floor of the state capitol. The House of Delegates Judiciary Committee was hearing comments on House Bill 4268, legislation that would enable oil and gas companies to drill on private property as long as three-quarters of the mineral rights owners okayed the operation. The bill, which critics like Lucas have called an effort by "our government…to allow corporations to steal our property and trespass on it without our permission," also grants the oil and gas industry a number of other measures its lobbyists have long sought from the legislature.

—————————
(Southern emphasis, mine)
Some things ...round here... bout to change.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 07:23 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
this might have been my suspicion but it's never nice to see it in print (with numbers behind it)

Quote:
Schaffner found that what distinguished Sanders-Trump voters from Sanders-Clinton voters wasn’t their attitudes about trade, but their attitudes about race.

Interesting, yeah. I wasn't surprised that Sanders-Trump voters would be motivated in significant part by Trump's appeals to racism. More surprised that his appeals to isolationism (eg on trade) would not have played a distinguishing role.

Still worth keeping in mind what the article says about how the share of
Sanders-Trump voters was actually relatively low. Much lower than the share of Clinton-McCain voters in '08, for one. Who, as the piece mentions, were unsurprisingly also defined by racial prejudice.

Two wrongs don't make a right, of course. Still, I for one was rather surprised that there had been so many more Clinton-McCain voters than Sanders-Trump ones. I thought the PUMA phenomenon had been mostly hype and trickery. And the fact that there were actually few Sanders-Trump voters, in comparison, was not one that seemed particularly well reflected in media coverage - and definitely not in social media discussions...

I did not read the article in question and I may be flying off the handle, but if any Sanders supporters are racists, it not only is news to me, it also means they don't know **** about Sanders and just tried to ride a bandwagon. I understand that establishment Dems try to label Sanders as anti woman and not a real friend to blacks, but it's pure bullshit.
Lash

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 07:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don’t think the article mentioned Sanders-Stein voters.

No legitimate Sanders voters were racist. I find it hard to wrap my head around Sanders-Trump voters unless they were apolitical previously, and were brought in solely on the anti-corruption plank ... and either had racist tendencies or had an iron-cast stomach. Maybe desperate for jobs, and really believed trump could deliver?

I peeked through a longer excerpt and was disappointed there was no talk of S-S. Guess they didn’t feel confident in the analysis.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 09:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Gun control and mental health programs are essential.

Good thing we've had gun control since 1968 then.

1934 if we count NFA weapons.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:10 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Why don’t we have a mandatory waiting period,

Because no one can come up with any explanation why a mandatory waiting period would do any good. It is pretty clear that it is designed solely to harass people who try to exercise their Constitutional rights (and is therefore unconstitutional).

Lash wrote:
a ******* iron-clad registry so that no one who has a mental health diagnosis or a history of violence can ever buy a gun,

Liberals intend to abuse centralized registration to illegally seize people's guns, so no on that.

And such registration would not prevent people with a criminal record from having guns in the first place. That's what background checks do.

We already have decentralized registration.

Lash wrote:
and close the gun show loophole?

Because the liberals are abusing the background check system and making it target people who shouldn't be prohibited from having guns.

Lash wrote:
I’m beginning to think that progress on these common sense changes are being thwarted by both parties.

Why do people who either oppose civil rights or support fascism (for example you are opposing civil rights) always claim common sense?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:11 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Oralloy is not mentally ill,

I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said about me. Laughing

izzythepush wrote:
but after posting a load of horseshit about gun control being the thin end of the wedge and a prelude to a Pol Pot style purge of intellectuals it's clear he's unfit to have a metal spoon let alone a gun.

Actually I accused them of trying to ban guns.

Barring people who wear glasses from having guns is a tribute to their hero Pol Pot, but the liberals would merely violate these people's Second Amendment rights. No death camps or anything like that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:12 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
If you can’t buy beer, you can buy firearms.

Lots of teenagers are hunters. That's why schools are closed for the first two days of deer season.

It's a shame that the left always wants to violate the rights of the hunting community.

Lash wrote:
Another common sense change: You should not be able to buy a firearm and give it to someone else without a legal process with a waiting period.

Unconstitutional to pointlessly harass people for merely trying to exercise their rights.

And what is it about people who oppose civil rights or support fascism that they always claim common sense?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I have said often enough that I seek effective control, not total ban on guns.

You favor banning guns that people have the right to have. That's just as bad.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:14 pm
The NRA has a bot working overtime tonight.
0 Replies