Why I left the Democratic Party

maporsche

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 11:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh, the sympathy card. Well played. Followed by, "it's not about me." Good work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
you people

nope

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:00 pm
Can we shift the conversation to something more productive? Such as, say, what needs to be done to correct this issue?

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:02 pm
@engineer,
Hillary is not a liberal and only reluctantly supports any liberal causes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Start by id'ing those candidates who at the very least say they support the things you believe in.

The younger, the better.

Find those 25 - 35 year olds who are smart and enthusiastic and willing to put their careers on hold for the short term. Forward emails for them. Show up at their rallies. Speak about them. Stand up for them. Canvass for them. Make get out the vote calls/emails/tweets. Register voters. Help people get to polls. Vote.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:07 pm
@ehBeth,
There are no progressive candidates in my area. If you read PDiddy's blog enough you would see why he feels the same as me. He has to hold his nose to vote for very many local Dems.
maporsche

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There are no progressive candidates in my area. If you read PDiddy's blog enough you would see why he feels the same as me. He has to hold his nose to vote for very many local Dems.

What might this tell you Edgar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:10 pm
And I will continue to use Reich, because he is so often spot on. Those who don't like it are not obligated to read.

I don't have time to play with you just now. This crap has taken me away from my writing time and is getting us nowhere.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The process of getting one's legislation passed in Congress. 

In order to do that, I suppose the Dems need first a majority in Congress. Otherwise, as long as the Repub control Congress, they will pass their own legislation... The question is how to take Congress, or more generally, how to win more elections, legislative and presidential, state and federal.

I posit that more distributive pro-worling class proposals in the Dem agenda is likely to result in more Dems getting elected at all levels, given the proven public apetite for same.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm perfectly ready to discuss whatever you want to discuss. Not sure you are, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
He has to hold his nose to vote for very many local Dems.

and why does he continue to do that

__

bit of a rhetorical question for me as I have continued to follow pdid over the years

others might be interested in the answer
Olivier5

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Because of the two party system.
maporsche

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Because of the two party system.

Of course. Which is going nowhere in 2018, 2020, 2022, 2024....
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I am ready to find how he keeps it up, Beth - I've long liked him, met him at the San Francisco get together (2004?). I liked his wife too. A bunch of us had a lot of good walks and talks in SF. I'm looking forward to having newish iMac and both following more online stuff and posting more.

Which reminds me: has anyone here heard from Jorge lately?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Jorge posts regularly on FB. He voted the Democratic line in Virginia this morning. Very active in his community. Still supply teaches a bit. Terrific guy.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:12 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
The process of getting one's legislation passed in Congress. 

In order to do that, I suppose the Dems need first a majority in Congress. Otherwise, as long as the Repub control Congress, they will pass their own legislation... The question is how to take Congress, or more generally, how to win more elections, legislative and presidential, state and federal.

I posit that more distributive pro-worling class proposals in the Dem agenda is likely to result in more Dems getting elected at all levels, given the proven public apetite for same.

This isn't a bad start, but it lacks the oomph you'd need to make something happen. It's also fair to say that you're going to have to see a LOT of moderates elected in order for the Dems to take back the House at this point, so be ready to compromise.

I think the biggest issue facing Progressive politics is one of marketing, at this point. Seriously! Here's what I would personally be recommending if I were running things right now:

- Get Bernie to act as the father figure / head of the marketing push and create a few videos about the goals of the Progressive wing and how they plan on accomplishing them.
- Outline a shared set of goals that's easy-to-read and fits on a single page. That's all people have the patience for. Call it something catchy, like the Sanders Slate
- Actively travel around to states this entire coming year and get candidates for the House and Senate to sign on to the platform. Keep a running log of how many people have agreed. Use them in both local and national marketing campaigns for the platform. Get on the same ******* message and have literally hundreds of candidate repeating the exact same talking points.
- Get ******* used to Incrementalism because it's the best you're ever going to get in our system. You shoot for the moon knowing you'll be negotiated down to some stars. FAR too many Progressives don't understand this basic fact of life, which is sad really.

This right here would go a long, long way towards answering the Process problem. How can you pass legislation when there's nobody who agrees with you there to pass it? Answer: you get people who agree into office, specifically, to pass those things.

I really have no idea why Sanders didn't do this last cycle. It is plainly obvious that this is the missing part of his movement, yet he just whiffed on it. Probably started too late, but that's no excuse.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

- Get Bernie to act as the father figure / head of the marketing push and create a few videos about the goals of the Progressive wing and how they plan on accomplishing them.

how can he be the father figure of a wing of a party he's not a member of?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I know, I know. That is a problem. 'Sanders Slate' just sounds so catchy, though.

Fine, we'll get Warren to do it instead.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, thank you, that is great news. Hi from me, if you get a chance to mention it.

I'm threatening to join FB to see if I can stand it, but not quite yet re computer drama.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
<that makes sense>
0 Replies