Are you in favor 0f Roe v Wade being upheld or overturned?

Debra Law

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
Boiler Plate LIBERTY
What part of the supreme law of the land do you not understand?

The ability of women to participate equally in the economic and social life of the Nation has been facilitated by their ability to control their reproductive lives.

Women have a fundamental right to participate equally in the economic and social life of the Nation.

Women have a fundamental right to control their personal autonomy and reproductive destiny.

All fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty are protected by the Federal Constitution from invasion by the States.

That is the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND -- the decisions in both Roe v. Wade and Lawrence v. Texas were based on the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND. You can't overrule the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND.

You cannot relegate every woman in this country to the status of second-class citizen and deprive them the equal right to participate in the economic and social life of this Nation.

What part of that do you not understand?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:02 pm
I seem to frequently find myself disagreeing with Steppenwolf, but I am entirely in agreement with him here.

Steppenwolf wrote:
This thread asks the question of whether Roe should be overruled. One cannot argue that the "Law of the Land" should not be overruled because it is the "Law of the Land." Yes, Roe is the law of the land, but the question is whether it should be.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
Debra_Law:

I understand the positive law, certainly. I do not understand using Roe to justify Roe. All of the above statements are mere conclusions, not arguments.

And yes, you can overrule precedent, that's how Lawrence became the law, and that's why this thread was started, to evaluate whether a current line of cases should be overruled. Arguing that the Supreme Court cannot overrule its own interpretations finds no basis in history or Supreme Court jurisprudence.

Furthermore, to say that a certain right should be enshrined in the Constitution because the Supreme Court already put it there is tantamount to saying that Supreme Court interpretations justify themselves. That's bad logic. Cases don't exist in a self-made vacuum.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:15 pm
And yes, Tico, this is indeed a rare moment. Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:49 pm
constitutional law
Steppenwolf wrote:
Debra_Law:

I understand the positive law, certainly. I do not understand using Roe to justify Roe. All of the above statements are mere conclusions, not arguments.

And yes, you can overrule precedent, that's how Lawrence became the law, and that’s why this thread was started, to evaluate whether a current line of cases should be overruled. Arguing that the Supreme Court cannot overrule its own interpretations finds no basis in history or Supreme Court jurisprudence.

Furthermore, to say that a certain right should be enshrined in the Constitution because the Supreme Court already put it there is tantamount to saying that Supreme Court interpretations justify themselves. That’s bad logic. Cases don’t exist in a self-made vacuum.

Roe was not decided in a vacuum. In case the obvious has escaped your observation, the Supreme Court relied upon and cited many decades worth of cases to substantiate the supreme law of the land that all fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty are protected by the Federal Constitution from invasion by the States. The Supreme Court relied upon and cited many decades worth of cases to substantiate the supreme law of the land that fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty include, but are not limited to, the right of the individual to be free from unwarranted governmental intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision whether to bear or beget a child.

Contrary to your assertion, Roe v. Wade was not decided in a vacuum.

Hardwick v. Bowers was overruled because it was contrary to the supreme law of the land -- Hardwick v. Bowers trivialized and demeaned the essential liberty interests protected by the Constitution and allowed the States to criminalize private conduct when the States had no compelling reason to do so.

Do you agree or not agree that all fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty are protected by the Federal Constitution from invasion by the States?

Is there anything more fundamental or more private than an individual's decision whether to bear or beget a child? How in the heck do you define "liberty" if it doesn't include the right to make fundamental choices about one's private life?
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:51 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

Roe was not decided in a vacuum. In case the obvious has escaped your observation, the Supreme Court relied upon and cited many decades worth of cases to substantiate the supreme law of the land that all fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty are protected by the Federal Constitution from invasion by the States. The Supreme Court relied upon and cited many decades worth of cases to substantiate the supreme law of the land that fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty include, but are not limited to, the right of the individual to be free from unwarranted governmental intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision whether to bear or beget a child.

Contrary to your assertion, Roe v. Wade was not decided in a vacuum.

I never asserted that Roe was actually decided in a vacuum. I argued that you defend it as if it were. My previous posts paid specific attention to its foundations (I explicitly cited the cases that Roe was based upon), and so I find it disingenous for you to claim that they "escaped my observation." How can I write about cases that I didn't observe? Look back a few posts. Rather than me failing to observe anything, it appears that you have not responded to my observations. In fact, of all the caselaw cited in Roe, I am the only person between us that has actually analyzed those cases in this thread. If you wish to put Roe into the context of those cases, explain how I incorrectly distinguished those cases instead of citing the Roe line as if Roe could be based entirely upon itself. I look forward to your interpretations of Griswold, Loving, Pierce, etc. I have already offered my interpretation of their limits. Rebut my arguments at your leisure.

Quote:
Do you agree or not agree that all fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty are protected by the Federal Constitution from invasion by the States?

Whose interpretation of liberty (as if there could only be one)? And whose interpretation of "Due Process" that could lead to such a broad view on constitutionally protected liberty? I find an even greater weakness in your argument than your failure to examine caselaw; you have failed to examine the text of the Constitution itself. I'll therefore leave your Roe tautology behind and give you a simple argument based on the text of the Constitution.

A strict reading of the text may, in fact, defeat all "Due Process" rights, although I have not gone that far in my previous posts (I would rather limit an expansive interpretation than destroy the whole thing). The "Due Process" clause of the 14th amendment says:

Quote:
nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law…"
(my emphasis).

The second half of that clause explicitly modifies the first half. In other words, it is not an open ended prohibition of deprivation of life, liberty, or property; it is a mandate directed at "process," which means procedure. Thus, "substantive due process," which underlies Roe, is an oxymoron (I am obviously not the first person to note this). It is only by expansive S. Ct. jurisprudence that any substantive rights have been found in that clause at all. To argue that such an expansive interpretation (that finds no explicit support in the text) is irrefutable, even by the Court, is quite a long leap for a Constitutional Democracy. And if you think that total discretion in the interpretation of Constitution will always increase the rights of the people, you must have forgotten about Dred Scott and Lochner. Be careful in your arguments about the irrefutable, self-supporting, jurisprudential "Law of the Land." We are fortunate that the Court has never taken such a stance on its own caselaw. Therefore, while I respect your interpretation of "liberty," you did not write the 14th Amendment (neither did Justice Blackmun). Its authors wrote a clause about "process."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:42 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Is there anything more fundamental or more private than an individual's decision whether to bear or beget a child?

No there isn't. But that's not what anti-abortion laws are regulating. They regulate the killing of an embryo. As it happens, killing an embryo also has the consequence of not bearing a child, but that's not what the laws are about. Even in pre-1973 Texas, you were free to decide not to beget a child. And you were free to act on this decision -- as long as you acted on it by means that didn't involve aborting an embryo.

As for your constitutional argument, your logic appears to be of the form: "The Supreme Court cannot overrule Roe v. Wade because the constitution protects abortion as a fundamental right. And the constitution protects abortion as a fundamental right because the Supreme Court decided so in Roe vs Wade. Is this a fair summary of your position? If not, what is the mistake in my summary? If so, don't you think the argument is a bit circular?
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:04 pm
That's a much friendlier statement of my tautology point, Thomas (the second part of your post). Very Happy Perhaps you'll have better luck with it as a result.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:11 am
i'm just curious...

how many of the pro-lifers posting here will be adopting any of the white, black, brown, yellow or red unwanted children brought into the world through your moral stance?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:30 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i'm just curious...

how many of the pro-lifers posting here will be adopting any of the white, black, brown, yellow or red unwanted children brought into the world through your moral stance?

I am not a pro-lifer, but think that's a red herring. There are more people who want to adopt children than there are children up for adoption, so why would that be a concern?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:39 am
Thomas wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i'm just curious...

I am not a pro-lifer, but think that's a red herring. There are more people who want to adopt children than there are children up for adoption, so why would that be a concern?

how can that be so when there are still orphanages in existence?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:23 am
Thomas wrote:

Quote:

Every sunday in the N.Y. Daily News there are pictures of children waiting, no. hoping for adoption. Takers are few and far between. Do you know anyone interested?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:11 am
"don't tread on me" and au --

My current understanding is that by far the most children in orphanages have been taken away from their parents because the authorities wanted to save them from some problems they thought their parents had -- violence, drug abuse, serious negligence and such. But these children aren't free for adoption unless their parents allow it, which they often don't. Sometimes, the youth welfare offices (or whatever their name is in America) look for temporary foster parents to take care of the child until the biological parents get their act together. But many prospective adopters shy away from the perspective that they take care of the child, build a relation to it, only to give them up a couple of years later -- and give them up to parents they don't trust to be up to the job.

All this is based on the account of one American couple who has adopted a child, and who I'm friends with (so yes, au, I do know someone interested). I admit it's not rock-solid evidence though, and I'll happy to be corrected by anyone who is better informed than I am.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:21 am
Although I would like to see Roe overruled, I'm not sure that there are any red herrings here. The market for white children is nothing like the market for minority children. It would also be too simple to claim that impoverished or unfit parents always put their children up for adoption. Once a child is born, I doubt that many parents could as easily part with that child as they could part with a fetus. This may be true even when parents don't have the resources to properly raise a child (or multiple children). In fact, some have gone as far as to suggest a direct link between impoverished children, crime and abortion restrictions -- a controversial claim. See The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime.

I don't know enough about the facts to dismiss or accept such arguments. However, I am certain that these arguments find no home in "Due Process" of the 14th Amendment. Complex, factually intensive policy is the stuff of legislation, not judicial intervention -- at least when the text of the Constitution says nothing of the matter. A Court of nine is virtually as unprepared to pass on these facts as we posters at A2K. Institutional competence weighs heavily against the Roe line, as does "separation of powers."

These arguments should be brought before the legislature.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:29 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i'm just curious...

Oh ... you're right ... kill them all.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:40 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i'm just curious...

tico? that's not a real, live answer dude. and again with the "black/ white with nothing in between"??

c'mon.. i hear it all the time from pro-lifers, " don't abort the fetus. have the child and let someone adopt it". what i'm trying to get at is, how many people that espouse that point of view are actually adopting the children that they insist somebody else bring into the world.

it's a valid question and an important issue.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
Plenty of parents wanting to adopt healthy infants; not so many wanting to adopt other children.

I guess we need to legislate what women are allowed to eat, drink, and smoke while they're pregnant.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
That's the age-old question, DTOM. No easy answers. I have several friends who were adopted at birth and all I know is I'm blessed to have them and so thankful they weren't "aborted".

Unfortunately, the abortion figures are shocking. Mind-blowing, actually.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i'm just curious...

tico? that's not a real, live answer dude. and again with the "black/ white with nothing in between"??

c'mon.. i hear it all the time from pro-lifers, " don't abort the fetus. have the child and let someone adopt it". what i'm trying to get at is, how many people that espouse that point of view are actually adopting the children that they insist somebody else bring into the world.

it's a valid question and an important issue.

Let's see ... to kill the baby, or not to kill the baby. That seems pretty "black/white with nothing in between" to me. What am I missing?

Were you wanting to discuss what you feel are valid or "reasonable" reasons that justify the killing of these babies? Is that the "grey area" you are trying to suggest? I see nothing wrong with my response.

Actually, you probably don't hear pro-lifers using the term "fetus." In my observation, that term is used most often by the pro-abortionists who don't want to refer to the baby as a baby. "It's just a fetus, after all. It's not a real baby."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:53 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Actually, you probably don't hear pro-lifers using the term "fetus." In my observation, that term is used most often by the pro-abortionists who don't want to refer to the baby as a baby. "It's just a fetus, after all. It's not a real baby."

I hear doctors use the term fetus to describe pregnancy; I only hear anti-women's-rights people use the term "baby" for a fetus.
0 Replies