Are you in favor 0f Roe v Wade being upheld or overturned?

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:56 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Again, the key question is the issue of when life begins. I say its conception, and not some vague point thereafter. I suppose you would agree it is inappropriate for a couple to kill their newborn, because they don't want to "keep it"? And further, that it IS the government's business to prevent that from happening?

your pov states that "life" begins at conception. but a fetus is not a being. it is an egg yolk. not trying to be crass, just saying that a fetus is a "possibility of life", not a sentient being.

here's another thing that hasn't been brought up. partial birth procedure. as i mentioned before, the right to choose comes with responsibility.

i'm not real happy about partial birth. for many reasons. however, the recent ban that was in congress had no provision for the value of the life of the mother. how does that respect the sanctity of life?

tell ya this, if my wife was in danger of dying due to the pregnancy? there is no choice to me. she stays, the pregnancy gets terminated at any cost. that's not murdering a child, that's saving a fully developed, sentient and self sufficient being.

I agree that partial birth raises more issues for those who believe life begins not at conception, but at some later time. When, exactly, does that egg yolk become a human being? Why is it a problem to crack open the skull of a baby in a partial birth abortion? Or is that even a concern? Many people generally in favor of giving a woman the right to choose share your "concerns" with partial birth abortions.

Those of us who believe life begins at conception don't struggle with those issues, I guess, because we don't see a distinction -- we are concerned with them all.

Kicky wrote:

This is the smaller issue. The real issue is that nobody can agree on the answer to this question. There are equally persuasive arguments on both sides. It will NEVER be agreed upon, and therefore, should not be legislated by the government. ...

Hmm. I understand what you're saying. It's sorta like the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Kicky wrote:

This is the smaller issue. The real issue is that nobody can agree on the answer to this question. There are equally persuasive arguments on both sides. It will NEVER be agreed upon, and therefore, should not be legislated by the government. ...

Hmm. I understand what you're saying. It's sorta like the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Very clever bad analogy.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
Re: constitution
Thomas wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
First, how would the issue of overruling Roe v. Wade ever make its way to the Supreme Court for reconsideration? There has to be a justiciable case or controversy brought by someone with standing -- someone who is suffering a concrete injury in fact.

It happens. I specifically remember Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, and there may well have been other cases that would have allowed the court to revisit Roe. I see no reason why a similar case shouldn't make its way to the Supreme Court again.

Casey:

Men and women of good conscience can disagree, and we suppose some always shall disagree, about the profound moral and spiritual implications of terminating a pregnancy, even in its earliest stage. Some of us as individuals find abortion offensive to our most basic principles of morality, but that cannot control our decision. Our obligation is to define the liberty of all, not to mandate our own moral code. The underlying constitutional issue is whether the State can resolve these philosophic questions in such a definitive way that a woman lacks all choice in the matter, except perhaps [505 U.S. 833, 851] in those rare circumstances in which the pregnancy is itself a danger to her own life or health, or is the result of rape or incest. . . .

Our law affords constitutional protection to personal decisions relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, child rearing, and education. Carey v. Population Services International, 431 U.S., at 685 . Our cases recognize the right of the individual, married or single, to be free from unwarranted governmental intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision whether to bear or beget a child. Eisenstadt v. Baird, supra, 405 U.S., at 453 (emphasis in original). Our precedents "have respected the private realm of family life which the state cannot enter." Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158, 166 (1944). These matters, involving the most intimate and personal choices a person may make in a lifetime, choices central to personal dignity and autonomy, are central to the liberty protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. At the heart of liberty is the right to define one's own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life. Beliefs about these matters could not define the attributes of personhood were they formed under compulsion of the State. . . .

The mother who carries a child to full term is subject to anxieties, to physical constraints, to pain that only she must bear. That these sacrifices have from the beginning of the human race been endured by woman with a pride that ennobles her in the eyes of others and gives to the infant a bond of love cannot alone be grounds for the State to insist she make the sacrifice. Her suffering is too intimate and personal for the State to insist, without more, upon its own vision of the woman's role, however dominant that vision has been in the course of our history and our culture. The destiny of the woman must be shaped to a large extent on her own conception of her spiritual imperatives and her place in society. . . .

[P]eople have organized intimate relationships and made choices that define their views of themselves and their places in society, in reliance on the availability of abortion in the event that contraception should fail. The ability of women to participate equally in the economic and social life of the Nation has been facilitated by their ability to control their reproductive lives. . . .

If indeed the woman's interest in deciding whether to bear and beget a child had not been recognized as in Roe, the State might as readily restrict a woman's right to choose to carry a pregnancy to term as to terminate it, to further asserted state interests in population control, or eugenics, for example. Yet Roe has been sensibly relied upon to counter any such suggestions. . . .

An entire generation has come of age free to assume Roe's concept of liberty in defining the capacity of women to act in society, and to make reproductive decisions; no erosion of principle going to liberty or personal autonomy has left Roe's central holding a doctrinal remnant. . . .

The woman's right to terminate her pregnancy before viability is the most central principle of Roe v. Wade. It is a rule of law and a component of liberty we cannot renounce. . . .

A finding of an undue burden is a shorthand for the conclusion that a state regulation has the purpose or effect of placing a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking an abortion of a nonviable fetus. A statute with this purpose is invalid because the means chosen by the State to further the interest in potential life must be calculated to inform the woman's free choice, not hinder it. And a statute which, while furthering the interest in potential life or some other valid state interest, has the effect of placing a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman's choice cannot be considered a permissible means of serving its legitimate ends.

Debra_Law wrote:
Second, what part of Roe v. Wade would the Supreme Court be "correct" to overrule as a matter of constitutional law? Would it be the "right to privacy" protected by the constitution?

Yes, because the constitution, literally interpreted, does not protect a right to privacy. More specifically, it isn't clear that the Supreme Court, in Roe vs. Wade, was correct in stating that laws against abortion violate the Fourth Amendment: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." You can construct a 'right to abort an embryo' with a long interpretational stretch that starts with the Fourth Amendment. But reasonable jurists can believe that this stretch is too long to constitute a valid interpretation -- and many of them do.

Fundamental rights are not required to be explicitly spelled out in the Constitution in order to be protected against unreasonable governmental intrusion. As the Casey Court pointed out, if people (women included) do not have the protected fundamental right to choose for themselves whether or not to beget children--then the state could either prohibit abortions or mandate abortions in the public interest. If the fundamental right to control one's own procreation does not exist, the state could require women to terminate their pregnancies in the interest of population control. The fundamental right to privacy -- the right to be free of unreasonable government intrusion into private matters exists -- is a fundamental liberty interest protected by the constitution.

A stubborn refusal of some people to understand and embrace the fundmental concepts upon which this country was founded threatens our very foundation and subjects all of us to loss of liberty through oppression.

Debrah_Law wrote:
In constitutional cases, stare decisis carries such persuasive force that the Court has always required a departure from precedent to be supported by some special justification.

As an example to the contrary, let me offer United States vs. Butler (1936) and Wickard vs. Filburn (1942). In Butler, the Supreme Court ruled part of Roosevelt's Agricultural Adjustment Act unconstitutional, on the grounds that growing corn to feed it to your hogs doesn't constitute interstate commerce, so the federal government can't regulate it under the Commerce Clause. In Wickard, only six years later, the Supreme Court held the corresponding part of Roosevelt's (updated) Agricultural Adjustment Act constitutional on the grounds that growing wheat to feed it to your chicken does constitute interstate commerce, so can be regulated by the federal government under the Commerce Clause. If the Supreme Court gave a special justification for this change of mind, I can't find it in its ruling on Wickard vs. Filburn. So much for the "persuasive force" of stare decisis.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Wake up and smell the coffee.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:35 pm
DL wrote:
The fundamental right to privacy -- the right to be free of unreasonable government intrusion into private matters exists -- is a fundamental liberty interest protected by the constitution.

A stubborn refusal of some people to understand and embrace the fundmental concepts upon which this country was founded threatens our very foundation and subjects all of us to loss of liberty through oppression.

Why then does the government pass laws prohibiting possession of certain "drugs"? If one possesses marijuana at their home, it is a violation of the law of most states, and these laws have not been found to be unconstitutional. Does the "fundamental right to privacy -- the right to be free of unreasonable government intrusion into private matters" prohibit the government from passing and enforcing such laws? Is the right to posess drugs in your own home a "fundamental liberty interest protected by the constitution"? You are making too broad a point here, particularly when you refer to the "stubborn refusal" of "some people." It is a reasonable intrusion of the government to proscribe murder. The right to have an abortion is not a "fundamental concept upon which this country was founded."

DL wrote:

More like comparing corn and wheat, and hogs and chickens, but doesn't he have a point regarding the requirement of "special justification" for overturning prior decisions.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:14 pm
Debra_Law:

As I wrote to JanW, the argument that not prohibiting the regulation of abortion would open the door for compulsory abortions is a red herring. My argument was rather cursory. Let me expound upon it in reply to your last post, where you made the same argument as JanW.

The two types of infringements of liberty, (1) compulsions, and (2) restrictions, are categorically different. We have numerous safeguards against bodily compulsions that don't require converse safeguards against restrictions (such as Roe). I think it also fundamental that the notion of liberty more readily applies against compulsions than against restrictions. I quote the ominous paragraph in Casey that alludes to your argument:

Quote:
The soundness of this prong of the Roe analysis is apparent from a consideration of the alternative. If indeed the woman's interest in deciding whether to bear and beget a child had not been recognized as in Roe, the State might as readily restrict a woman's right to choose to carry a pregnancy to term as to terminate it, to further asserted state interests in population control, or eugenics, for example. Yet Roe has been sensibly relied upon to counter any such suggestions. E.g., Arnold v. Board of Education of Escambia County, Ala., 880 F.2d 305, 311 (CA11 1989) (relying upon Roe and concluding that government officials violate the Constitution by coercing a minor to have an abortion); Avery v. County of Burke, 660 F.2d 111, 115 (CA4 1981) (county agency inducing teenage girl to undergo unwanted sterilization on the basis of misrepresentation that she had sickle cell trait)…

This brief passage ignores quite a few relevant considerations and facts. First, Arnold v. Board did not concern a legal compulsion but coercion by teachers -- there were no forced abortion laws in this case. Avery, on the other hand, could have easily been brought as a medical malpractice suit or simple battery; it had nothing to do with an official policy of forced sterilization. Absent an official state policy, any case of forced abortion or sterilization could be brought as run-of-the-mill battery. I find it telling that the Court also didn't mention Skinner v. Oklahoma in this paragraph, which relied on Equal Protection to dispose of the threat of sterilization (that case predated Roe, and it alone should cast doubt on the theory that Roe is necessary to invalidate forced sterilization or abortion laws). Then again, a reference to Skinner or Buck v. Bell, which it overruled, would expose the fundamental factual differences between the plaintiffs in those cases and in any normal case of forced abortion -- that is, the plaintiffs in those cases were under the custody of the state (as prisoners and mental patients). Any statute that forced non-prisoner women to abort would require that the state take physical control of them, which would run afoul of procedural Due Process (the most obvious meaning of the 14th Amendment). On the other hand, we might defeat forced sterilization or abortion on prisoners with 8th Amendment "cruel and unusual punishment" (incorporated by the 14th Amendment). Recall that this point was raised in Skinner, although the Court opted not to examine that claim, as they were able to dispose of sterilization with Equal Protection.

The threat of forced abortion or sterilization is therefore a shadowy threat indeed when basic common law tort, criminal law, and non-controversial procedural Due Process could more than defeat such invasions of liberty. Moreover, if you take a historical perspective, our law has always frowned upon bodily compulsions, even while many bodily restrictions persist to this day.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
And re: your comments to Thomas about stare decisis in light of Wickard v.Filburn and Butler.

Quote:

As I said in my first post to you, the Court's amnesia about their discussion of stare decisis in Casey while adjudicating Lawrence v. Texas, which overruled the relatively recent Bowers v. Hardwick, provides a modern and pertinent (privacy, no less!) example of the limits of stare decisis.

I would therefore not compare wheat and commerce clause with privacy, but substantive due process privacy and substantive due process privacy.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:55 pm
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 07:07 pm
JanW:

That's a fine example JanW, and you may be right that a person's inability to pay for medical treatment could make abortion a de facto necessity (I abstain from evaluating the factual possibility of such a medical crisis). But do you think that Roe and its progeny avoid this problem? I'm not sure how it would help parents under such constraints. This is a question that implicates access to healthcare, not bodily liberty of the Roe/Casey brand. I don't see anything in Roe that would prevent de facto necessary abortions. It would only help against de jure compulsions, and on that count, I don't think we need an extra boost in addition to other, less controversial laws (as I argued above). Thus, I can't see this as an argument for upholding the Roe line. This could be a problem irrespective of Roe's fate.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 07:59 pm
I agree 100%, Steppenwolf. I got a bit side-tracked on the topic. From a moral perspective, I argue that anti-abortionists ought be careful about the connection they want between law and (their) morality. They seem to think that there are only two options: abortions are legal or abortions are illegal. And they want to overturn R v W so that states can prohibit abortions again. I warn them that there is a third option: that abortions could be legally required. I warn them that if they insist on the legal imposition of their morality today they may be faced with the legal imposition of what they consider to be immoral tomorrow.

Of course, the way the discussion went I realized quickly that it's not likely that abortion will be legally required in the US any time in the near future. But (as in my last message) anti-abortionists may well find themselves in a situation where they have no real choice other than to abort certain pregnancies.

Apples and oranges. Sorry about that!

I do think that giving birth to and treating some infants is immoral--but believe that persuasion is the rather to go rather than legislation.

And I do think that the health care crisis in the US will force explicit rationing.

To what extent it will involve pregnancies, abortions, treatment of severe fetal defects, etc, I don't know. Right now the courts are inclined to rule that if the patient (or family) wants futile treatment then they must be treated, but as a society I don't think we can continue doing this.

I think I am really more interested in the morality of these situations than legislation or judicial interpretation. I think that most of you guys must be attorneys! You know way more than I do about that aspect of things.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:02 pm
commerce clause vs. fundamental rights
Ticomaya wrote:
Why then does the government pass laws prohibiting possession of certain "drugs"? If one possesses marijuana at their home, it is a violation of the law of most states, and these laws have not been found to be unconstitutional. Does the "fundamental right to privacy -- the right to be free of unreasonable government intrusion into private matters" prohibit the government from passing and enforcing such laws? Is the right to posess drugs in your own home a "fundamental liberty interest protected by the constitution"? You are making too broad a point here, particularly when you refer to the "stubborn refusal" of "some people." It is a reasonable intrusion of the government to proscribe murder. The right to have an abortion is not a "fundamental concept upon which this country was founded."

The state may regulate conduct through its police powers -- BUT, state police powers have limits.

When the state regulates conduct in a manner that infringes upon a fundamental right, the regulation will be upheld as constitutional only if the state has a compelling interest and the means used are necessary and narrowly tailored to serve that compelling interest. (Strict Scrutiny analysis.) Other run of the mill regulation passes constitutional muster if it serves a legitimate state interest and the means used are rationally related. (Rational Basis analysis.)

Personal and private decisions relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, and child rearing are protected by the constitution. Regulations that infringe upon these personal and private decisions are subjected to strict scrutiny.

Other choices, such as smoking pot, driving drunk, robbing banks, murdering your spouse, beating your children, etc., are not protected by the constitution. Regulations in these areas are subjected to a rational basis analysis.

You might smoke pot in the privacy of your bedroom in your own home -- you might engage in sex in the privacy of your bedroom in your own home. Regardless, government agents may not enter the privacy of your home in the absence of your consent or exigent circumstances without a valid warrant based upon probable cause that evidence of a crime or the fruits of a crime are present in your home. Therefore, your fundamental right to privacy in your home is protected.

DL wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:
More like comparing corn and wheat, and hogs and chickens, but doesn't he have a point regarding the requirement of "special justification" for overturning prior decisions.

Under the Constitution -- the Commerce Clause -- Congress has the exclusive right to regulate interstate commerce. The Supreme Court has broadly defined Congress's Commerce Clause power to include the power to regulate everything that has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce. In Wickard v. Filburn, the Supreme Court determined that a farmer's personal use of his home grown wheat affects interstate commerce. The Commerce Clause has often been referred to as "Congress can do any damn thing it wants to do" Clause so long as Congress uses the magic language: "moved in or otherwise affects" interstate commerce.

On the other hand, there is NO similar CLAUSE in the Constitution that says "State Government can do any damn thing it wants to do" so long as state regulation is reasonably related to a legitimate state interest. On the contrary -- it has already been established that state police powers have limits. A state may not infringe upon fundamental rights without a compelling interest (see above).

There is a huge difference between governmental regulation of commerce and governmental regulation of fundamental rights. If there wasn't a huge difference, then government could do anything it wanted under the guise of its general police powers and the people would have no protection against oppression.

Do we live in a Police State? For all those people who spilled their blood under the battle cry, "Give me LIBERTY, or give me DEATH," I hope they did not die in vain. I hope the American people are smart enough to understand and embrace the concept of fundamental liberty -- the substance of which is freedom from unreasonable government intrusion into our lives.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:16 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

Quote:
When the state regulates conduct in a manner that infringes upon a fundamental right, the regulation will be upheld as constitutional only if the state has a compelling interest and the means used are necessary and narrowly tailored to serve that compelling interest. (Strict Scrutiny analysis.) Other run of the mill regulation passes constitutional muster if it serves a legitimate state interest and the means used are rationally related. (Rational Basis analysis.)

Personal and private decisions relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, and child rearing are protected by the constitution. Regulations that infringe upon these personal and private decisions are subjected to strict scrutiny.

That abortion is a fundamental right and subject to strict scrutiny is a conclusion of Roe itself. You cannot use this as a premise for defending Roe. The question is should it be considered a fundamental right? Or broader yet: should we root "fundamental rights" that haven't been explicated in the text of the Constitution in "Due Process" at all?

You cannot phrase an argument as "Roe is defensible because a conclusion made in Roe (that the right is fundamental and hence a proper fit in Due Process privacy) mandates Roe."
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:30 pm
comprehension
Steppenwolf wrote:
That abortion is a fundamental right and subject to strict scrutiny is a conclusion of Roe itself. You cannot use this as a premise for defending Roe. The question is should it be considered a fundamental right? Or broader yet: should we root "fundamental rights" that haven't been explicated in the text of the Constitution in "Due Process" at all?

You cannot phrase an argument as "Roe is defensible because a conclusion made in Roe (that the right is fundamental and hence a proper fit in Due Process privacy) mandates Roe."

Steppenwolf:

You have fallen into the same trap that has snared many people -- including Supreme Court justices -- so you're in good company. But you're wrong in your analysis.

The issue is NOT whether a pregnant woman has a fundamental right to abortion -- the same as the issue was NOT whether a gay man has a fundamental right to engage in sodomy (see Hardwick v. Bowers).

The issue is whether the PEOPLE of this nation have a fundamental right to liberty -- a right to make personal choices about their private lives -- a right to live without unreasonable government intrusion into their private lives -- a right to be free from oppression. If our fundamental rights to life, liberty, and property have no SUBSTANCE and no PROTECTION, we are merely paying lip service to the fundamental concepts upon which this country was founded.

In Lawrence v. Texas, the United States Supreme Court recognized the error in its earlier holding in Hardwick v. Bowers. The Court said:

Quote:
Liberty protects the person from unwarranted government intrusions into a dwelling or other private places. In our tradition the State is not omnipresent in the home. And there are other spheres of our lives and existence, outside the home, where the State should not be a dominant presence. Freedom extends beyond spatial bounds. Liberty presumes an autonomy of self that includes freedom of thought, belief, expression, and certain intimate conduct. The instant case involves liberty of the person both in its spatial and more transcendent dimensions.

I

The question before the Court is the validity of a Texas statute making it a crime for two persons of the same sex to engage in certain intimate sexual conduct. . . .

II

We conclude the case should be resolved by determining whether the petitioners were free as adults to engage in the private conduct in the exercise of their liberty under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. For this inquiry we deem it necessary to reconsider the Court's holding in Bowers. . . .

The Court began its substantive discussion in Bowers as follows: "The issue presented is whether the Federal Constitution confers a fundamental right upon homosexuals to engage in sodomy and hence invalidates the laws of the many States that still make such conduct illegal and have done so for a very long time." Id., at 190. That statement, we now conclude, discloses the Court's own failure to appreciate the extent of the liberty at stake. To say that the issue in Bowers was simply the right to engage in certain sexual conduct demeans the claim the individual put forward, just as it would demean a married couple were it to be said marriage is simply about the right to have sexual intercourse. The laws involved in Bowers and here are, to be sure, statutes that purport to do no more than prohibit a particular sexual act. Their penalties and purposes, though, have more far-reaching consequences, touching upon the most private human conduct, sexual behavior, and in the most private of places, the home. The statutes do seek to control a personal relationship that, whether or not entitled to formal recognition in the law, is within the liberty of persons to choose without being punished as criminals. . . .

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/000/02-102.html

You're making the same error that the Supreme Court originally made in Bowers v. Hardwick. The issue is NOT whether a woman has a fundmental right to an abortion -- the issue is whether a woman has a fundamental right to privacy -- the right to make a deeply personal choice about begetting children or not -- without unreasonable government intrusion.

NO RIGHT IS ABSOLUTE. The government still regulates abortion, but the government simply is not allowed to do so in a manner that completely forecloses the choice during the early stages of pregnancy. Once the fetus becomes viable, the government has a compelling interest in protecting potential life and can completely ban abortions except in cases when necessary to preserve the mother's health or life.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:41 am
Debra_Law wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
First, how would the issue of overruling Roe v. Wade ever make its way to the Supreme Court for reconsideration? There has to be a justiciable case or controversy brought by someone with standing -- someone who is suffering a concrete injury in fact.

It happens. I specifically remember Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, and there may well have been other cases that would have allowed the court to revisit Roe. I see no reason why a similar case shouldn't make its way to the Supreme Court again.

Casey:

Eight paragraphs of quotes from that case omitted, because they have absolutely nothing to do with the context I quoted Casey in. The context was that you had insinuated that the Supreme Court wouldn't rule anytime soon on a case that would allow it to overrule Roe. And your argument was that such a case would first have to make its way to the Supreme Court. My point was that Casey was such a case. The Supreme Court could have used it to overrule Roe, and some of the judges intended to. As it turned out, these judges ended up in the minority, so Roe wasn't overruled. So your insinuation that relevant abortion cases would have trouble making it to the Supreme Court was false. And that was the point I responded to.

Debra_Law wrote:
Fundamental rights are not required to be explicitly spelled out in the Constitution in order to be protected against unreasonable governmental intrusion.

As it happens, I agree, but that's not the argument the Supreme Court made in Roe. Unlike the appeals court that decided the case before it, the Supreme Court didn't consider Roe a Ninth Amendment case, it considered it a Fourth Amendment case. The Fourth Amendment says nothing about a right to privacy, and in particular, it doesn't say that this right applies to abortion.

Even if you do treat abortion as a Ninth amendment right, you have to come up with good arguments for believing that a) this is one of the unenumerated rights protected by the Ninth amendment, and that b) the fourteenth amendment incorporates it in the set of rights that are protected against the states. You have not come up with a constitutional argument for any of these claims.

Debra_Law wrote:
As the Casey Court pointed out, if people (women included) do not have the protected fundamental right to choose for themselves whether or not to beget children--then the state could either prohibit abortions or mandate abortions in the public interest.

I am inclined to agree that a "protected right to choose for themselves whether or not to beget children" can be derived from the Ninth Amendment, but I don't follow the logic of your argument. There are other ways than abortion to excercise that right.

Debra_Law wrote:
If the fundamental right to control one's own procreation does not exist, the state could require women to terminate their pregnancies in the interest of population control.

It depends on your definition of "require". Aborting an embryo against the mothers will would require very large amount of physical force, large enough to violate the explicitly protected "right of the people to be secure in their persons ...", even if you don't stretch this right to include a right to privacy. It's an interesting take on the subject, but this line of argument isn't going anywhere.

Debra_Law wrote:

Oddly enough, when America was founded it took Americans about 180 years until they noticed that their country was founded on the concept that women can terminate pregnancies whenever they wish. And after the 14th amendment was passed, it took them 90 years to notice that this amendment applied to abortion. As Judge Rehnquist noted in his dissent to Roe, you can't find a single contemporary source making that claim even though there were plenty of laws restricting abortions at the time. Are you sure this is "stubborn refusal", or are you willing to consider the possibility that this is evidence against your position?

Debrah_Law wrote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. Wake up and smell the coffee

I'd love to smell the coffee, but you haven't given me a single reason why Wickard is oranges to Roe's apples in terms of stare decisis
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:56 am
Steppenwolf wrote:

Thank you, Steppenwolf, for articulating my point far better than did I.

DL wrote:
You might smoke pot in the privacy of your bedroom in your own home -- you might engage in sex in the privacy of your bedroom in your own home. Regardless, government agents may not enter the privacy of your home in the absence of your consent or exigent circumstances without a valid warrant based upon probable cause that evidence of a crime or the fruits of a crime are present in your home. Therefore, your fundamental right to privacy in your home is protected.

The possession of illegal drugs in your home is made no less illegal by the fact that the government must get a warrant to kick down your door to find you in possession of same. It's not only made a crime if you possess outside of the sanctity of your abode. I didn't think we were discussing criminal procedure, but the crime itself.

DL wrote:
The issue is whether the PEOPLE of this nation have a fundamental right to liberty -- a right to make personal choices about their private lives -- a right to live without unreasonable government intrusion into their private lives -- a right to be free from oppression. If our fundamental rights to life, liberty, and property have no SUBSTANCE and no PROTECTION, we are merely paying lip service to the fundamental concepts upon which this country was founded.

You can't just say the issue is a fundamental right to "liberty" and the right to make personal choices or live life without unreasonable government intrusion, and claim that must be the sole focus of the abortion debate. It isn't legal to possess marijuana in your home, or to kill your spouse in your home, and that's because people don't have a fundamental right to possess illegal drugs or kill others, even though they may want to do so in the privacy of their own homes. When appropriate, the governments' regulation of crime extends to within the privacy of home.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:56 am
Thomas wrote:
Oddly enough, when America was founded it took Americans about 180 years until they noticed that their country was founded on the concept that women can terminate pregnancies whenever they wish. And after the 14th amendment was passed, it took them 90 years to notice that this amendment applied to abortion.

It also took about 90 years for people to realize that the Fourteenth Amendment prohibited "separate but equal" facilities for blacks. Sometimes it takes a while for us to figure these things out.

Thomas wrote:
As Judge Rehnquist noted in his dissent to Roe, you can't find a single contemporary source making that claim even though there were plenty of laws restricting abortions at the time. Are you sure this is "stubborn refusal", or are you willing to consider the possibility that this is evidence against your position?

And there were plenty of laws on the books at the time of the Eighth Amendment mandating the death penalty for sodomy. Would you, therefore, agree that executing homosexuals is not "cruel and unusual punishment?"
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
It also took about 90 years for people to realize that the Fourteenth Amendment prohibited "separate but equal" facilities for blacks. Sometimes it takes a while for us to figure these things out.

While I wish the Fourteenth Amendment did prohibit it as a matter of ethics, I'm not sure that it actually does as a matter of constitutional interpretation. I agree that almost all the facilities that were called "seprate but equal" were unconstitutional under the Fourteenth amendment -- because in practice, they were only separate, but not equal. But if, for example, there actually had been seperate but equal toilets for blacks and whites, it isn't clear to me that they would have been any more unconstitutional than seperate but equal toilets for men and women. I know this just has to be misunderstood by someone, so I hasten to add that I'm not saying segregated toilets are a good thing. They're a bad thing -- but the American constitution may not tell us what's bad about them.

Thomas wrote:
And there were plenty of laws on the books at the time of the Eighth Amendment mandating the death penalty for sodomy. Would you, therefore, agree that executing homosexuals is not "cruel and unusual punishment?"

As it happens, I consider the death penalty for anyone cruel, and possibly unreasonable too. If I assume for the sake of the discussion that I don't consider it that, I would argue that the meanings of the words "cruel" and "unreasonable" aren't constant. They are a function of social customs, which change over time, so it's possible to believe that the death penalty for sodomy was not cruel and unreasonable, but is today. (Apart from that, it is very stupid policy of course.)

Applying this line of thought to abortion, I may reconsider my position on Roe if you could show me evidence that since Lincoln's time, social customs have dramatically changed in their notion of what an "unreasonable" search and seizure is, and that it has changed in a direction that's supportive of freer abortions.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:51 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

The issue is NOT whether a pregnant woman has a fundamental right to abortion -- the same as the issue was NOT whether a gay man has a fundamental right to engage in sodomy (see Hardwick v. Bowers).

In Lawrence v. Texas, the United States Supreme Court recognized the error in its earlier holding in Hardwick v. Bowers. The Court said:

Quote:
Liberty protects the person from unwarranted government intrusions into a dwelling or other private places. In our tradition the State is not omnipresent in the home. And there are other spheres of our lives and existence, outside the home, where the State should not be a dominant presence. Freedom extends beyond spatial bounds. Liberty presumes an autonomy of self that includes freedom of thought, belief, expression, and certain intimate conduct. The instant case involves liberty of the person both in its spatial and more transcendent dimensions.

I

The question before the Court is the validity of a Texas statute making it a crime for two persons of the same sex to engage in certain intimate sexual conduct. . . .

II

We conclude the case should be resolved by determining whether the petitioners were free as adults to engage in the private conduct in the exercise of their liberty under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. For this inquiry we deem it necessary to reconsider the Court's holding in Bowers. . . .

The Court began its substantive discussion in Bowers as follows: "The issue presented is whether the Federal Constitution confers a fundamental right upon homosexuals to engage in sodomy and hence invalidates the laws of the many States that still make such conduct illegal and have done so for a very long time." Id., at 190. That statement, we now conclude, discloses the Court's own failure to appreciate the extent of the liberty at stake. To say that the issue in Bowers was simply the right to engage in certain sexual conduct demeans the claim the individual put forward, just as it would demean a married couple were it to be said marriage is simply about the right to have sexual intercourse. The laws involved in Bowers and here are, to be sure, statutes that purport to do no more than prohibit a particular sexual act. Their penalties and purposes, though, have more far-reaching consequences, touching upon the most private human conduct, sexual behavior, and in the most private of places, the home. The statutes do seek to control a personal relationship that, whether or not entitled to formal recognition in the law, is within the liberty of persons to choose without being punished as criminals. . . .

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/000/02-102.html

You're making the same error that the Supreme Court originally made in Bowers v. Hardwick. The issue is NOT whether a woman has a fundmental right to an abortion -- the issue is whether a woman has a fundamental right to privacy -- the right to make a deeply personal choice about begetting children or not -- without unreasonable government intrusion.

NO RIGHT IS ABSOLUTE. The government still regulates abortion, but the government simply is not allowed to do so in a manner that completely forecloses the choice during the early stages of pregnancy. Once the fetus becomes viable, the government has a compelling interest in protecting potential life and can completely ban abortions except in cases when necessary to preserve the mother's health or life.

I disagree, and again, I think you are assuming (without argument) that the right announced in the Roe line is consistent with the broader rights to liberty implied by other cases, including Lawrence. First, I do not take the entirety of the Court's analysis in Lawrence v. Texas as sacrosanct. Even if I did, the validity of your analogy to the Roe line is less than self evident; in fact, I would argue that it is incorrect given the text of the Constitution, and caselaw on the so called "Fundamental Rights."

Assuming that Lawrence was correct about the breadth of the right to privacy, it is not dispositive with regards to the Roe line. It may be true that the Court misapprehended the right to privacy with its narrow conception of the "right to homosexual sodomy" in Bowers. However, granting the validity of Lawrence, you cannot assume that the Roe fits into this same framework without making a specific argument about the facts of those cases. My below argument first examines Lawrence to determine whether the breadth argument applies with equal force to the Roe line. I conclude that it does not (off course, I expect that you will disagree with me). The second half of my argument, which is similar to my first post to you, concludes that the facts in the Roe line make it distinguishable from any of the Due Process or Fundamental Rights jurisprudence. It is an outlier to the broad "liberty" rights that you cherish.

I. Your analysis of Lawrence is too shallow, and your use of that Court's "breadth" argument fails to apprehend its limits. You are incorrectly assuming that the Lawrence Court's "breadth" argument is an elixir for every Fundamental Rights or Due Process problem that comes before the Court. If you read Lawrence as implying that "[t]he issue is whether the PEOPLE of this nation have a fundamental right to liberty -- a right to make personal choices about their private lives -- a right to live without unreasonable government intrusion into their private lives -- a right to be free from oppression," then you have read it too broadly. As you noted, the Court lumped the specifics of that case into the following broader right:

Quote:
(my emphasis added)

Although the court does not limit its analysis to the "home," it implicitly limits the privacy right announced in Lawrence to private places, totally intrapersonal acts (thought, belief, etc.) and intimate conduct. In other words, we would not apply "strict scrutiny" to every personal act, but only to a subset of personal acts. This is not a controversial conclusion -- there are certainly limits to privacy under any formulation. The argument that the Bowers Court misapprehend the scope of the right implicated in that case is that regulating homosexual sex would necessarily infringe upon a host of intimacy interests beyond "homosexual sodomy." In other words, the Court could not limit the analysis to "homosexual sodomy" because admitting that states have the right (under the previous "rational basis" review) to regulate homosexual sex would also admit that the states have the right to interfere with heterosexual sex, intimacy in general, and consensual acts in the confines of one's home. In this respect, homosexual sex neatly fits into a larger box of liberty interests; you cannot regulate homosexual sex without harming that larger box (unless you have a compelling interest, of course). You would be wrong if you applied that same logic to the Roe line, which does not necessarily implicate a broader intimacy interest because it is distinguishable on the facts from all such recognized interests. In other words, you can regulate abortion without regulating other protected liberty rights, unlike homosexual sex. Despite your criticism and citation to Lawrence, I therefore don't incorrectly conclude that this is about the "right to abortion only," but that the characteristics of abortion make it part of a group of actions outside the larger box of protected liberty interests. Thus, I would apply a rational basis test to abortion, as it does not fit among the rights granted strict scrutiny under the 14th Amendment. I explain with specifics below.

II. You have failed to grasp the limited scope of Constitutionally protected liberty. In doing so, you fail to note that the facts in the Roe are distinguishable from the mainstream Due Process and Fundamental Rights cases. My distinction rests principally on the parties involved in abortion, and on the circumstances surrounding abortion as a medical procedure.

The parties involved in an abortion are not the same as those involved in any other protected Privacy interest or Fundamental Right. The cases cited in Planned Parenthood v. Casey include a host of Fundamental Rights cases such as Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (right to marry);Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (right to contraception), Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U.S. 510 (right to direct the upbringing and education of children); Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (right to choose education). I also include, although it did not exist at the time of Casey, the right announced in Lawrence v. Texas (right to intimacy/privacy). Each of the above cases involved consensual interactions among family members or intimately related persons. The parties to the above disputes were therefore states and either (1) consenting adults in the cases of Loving, Griswold, and Lawrence; or (2) some other unit of the family, such as children, in the cases of Pierce and Meyer. The twist in the Roe line is the addition of the doctor, the fetus, and the male (for which consent is unclear, and for which it appears consent is not needed). I'll ignore the male for now, as it involves too many touchy issues. I also spend less time on the fetus than others, as that "party" implicates too many unanswerable questions (although I note that the presence of these questions makes popular deliberation and legislation more attractive than judicial quasi-legislation). Let me focus on the doctor. This is a party that Roe opponents often ignore, but the presence of the doctor and the hospital unravel the whole "privacy" argument.

A pregnant woman cannot willfully, spontaneously abort. She must seek the services of a medical professional. This alone distinguishes the Roe line from any of the aforementioned cases. Despite the close doctor/patient relationship, it is nothing like the spouse/spouse relationship, the child/parent relationship, or the lover/lover relationship. The doctor/patient relationship is a paid service provided to the public. It is fundamentally a commercial relationship, not an intimate family relationship. The government already regulates other medical procedures, and those regulations are not subject to strict scrutiny. We cannot say that an abortion procedure is an intimate activity like sex between consenting partners, and we therefore cannot say that abortion regulations implicate those broader liberties. We also cannot say that abortion occurs in a private location, such as the home -- hospitals are public places. Finally, it is certainly not purely intrapersonal, like thoughts and beliefs. We can therefore avoid dealing with the entire box of liberty interests, because the facts of the Roe line place it outside that box. In other words, this isn't about a "broader right." It's distinguishable from that "broad right."

A paid service in a public facility is, by definition, a more public act that anything protected under the guise of privacy or family rights. While you cannot be forced to abort (as I argued in an earlier post), the government has never been precluded from putting its nose into hospitals. That the government might be able to regulate medical procedures (without facing strict scrutiny) but not, for instance, private and consensual sex, is rather uncontroversial.

This relationship is made even more public by the possible inclusion of the fetus as a party. No Fundamental Rights case has ever accorded "strict scrutiny" to non-consensual actions, and the fetus is unable to consent. As I said before, I intend to tread lightly with regards to this issue, as there is no consensus about whether the fetus is a living human entitled to all rights incident to such. However, the very fact that there is such a controversy about a potential third party (the fetus), should caution against applying a doctrine that has been entirely limited to wholly consensual acts. We cannot pass over latent issues of consent, even if we cannot agree about underlying facts (the beginning of life, etc.).

<I note also that the entirety of "fundamental rights" derived from "due process" may implicate questionable constitutional construction, but I leave that for another day>
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 04:23 pm
Laws
Steppenwolf:

Again, you are wrong. To the extent that I can decipher your illogical arguments, you have failed to grasp the liberty interest involved in both Roe v. Wade and Lawrence v. Texas.

YOU claim that our cases interpret the people's protected liberty interests too broadly. Yet, if our cases would follow your lead and interpret the people's protected liberty interests as narrowly as you suggest -- the people would not have any protected liberty interests at all. We would live in a police state.

A right without substance is meaningless.

The issue is NOT whether a woman has a right protected by the constitution to terminate a pregnancy. The issue is NOT whether a homosexual has a right protected by the constitution to engage in sodomy.
Your narrow interpretation of the issues demeans and trivializes liberty.

The Lawrence Court stated:

Quote:
The Court began its substantive discussion in Bowers as follows: "The issue presented is whether the Federal Constitution confers a fundamental right upon homosexuals to engage in sodomy and hence invalidates the laws of the many States that still make such conduct illegal and have done so for a very long time." Id., at 190. That statement, we now conclude, discloses the Court's own failure to appreciate the extent of the liberty at stake. To say that the issue in Bowers was simply the right to engage in certain sexual conduct demeans the claim the individual put forward, just as it would demean a married couple were it to be said marriage is simply about the right to have sexual intercourse. The laws involved in Bowers and here are, to be sure, statutes that purport to do no more than prohibit a particular sexual act. Their penalties and purposes, though, have more far-reaching consequences, touching upon the most private human conduct, sexual behavior, and in the most private of places, the home. The statutes do seek to control a personal relationship that, whether or not entitled to formal recognition in the law, is within the liberty of persons to choose without being punished as criminals.

In the same way that the Court's erroneous formulation of the issue in Bowers v. Hardwick trivialized and demeaned the liberty interests involved, you also trivialize and demean the rights involved in Roe v. Wade.

The Roe v. Wade Court stated the following:

Quote:
The Constitution does not explicitly mention any right of privacy. In a line of decisions, however, going back perhaps as far as Union Pacific R. Co. v. Botsford, 141 U.S. 250, 251 (1891), the Court has recognized that a right of personal privacy, or a guarantee of certain areas or zones of privacy, does exist under the Constitution. In varying contexts, the Court or individual Justices have, indeed, found at least the roots of that right in the First Amendment, Stanley v. Georgia, 394 U.S. 557, 564 (1969); in the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1, 8 -9 (1968), Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347, 350 (1967), Boyd v. United States, 116 U.S. 616 (1886), see Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 438, 478 (1928) (Brandeis, J., dissenting); in the penumbras of the Bill of Rights, Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S., at 484 -485; in the Ninth Amendment, id., at 486 (Goldberg, J., concurring); or in the concept of liberty guaranteed by the first section of the Fourteenth Amendment, see Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390, 399 (1923). These decisions make it clear that only personal rights that can be deemed "fundamental" or "implicit in the concept of ordered liberty," Palko v. Connecticut, 302 U.S. 319, 325 (1937), are included in this guarantee of personal privacy. They also make it clear that the right has some extension to activities relating to marriage, Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1, 12 (1967); procreation, Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 -542 (1942); contraception, Eisenstadt v. Baird, 405 U.S., at 453 -454; id., at 460, 463-465 [410 U.S. 113, 153] (WHITE, J., concurring in result); family relationships, Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158, 166 (1944); and child rearing and education, Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U.S. 510, 535 (1925), Meyer v. Nebraska, supra.

This right of privacy, whether it be founded in the Fourteenth Amendment's concept of personal liberty and restrictions upon state action, as we feel it is, or, as the District Court determined, in the Ninth Amendment's reservation of rights to the people, is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy. The detriment that the State would impose upon the pregnant woman by denying this choice altogether is apparent. Specific and direct harm medically diagnosable even in early pregnancy may be involved. Maternity, or additional offspring, may force upon the woman a distressful life and future. Psychological harm may be imminent. Mental and physical health may be taxed by child care. There is also the distress, for all concerned, associated with the unwanted child, and there is the problem of bringing a child into a family already unable, psychologically and otherwise, to care for it. In other cases, as in this one, the additional difficulties and continuing stigma of unwed motherhood may be involved. All these are factors the woman and her responsible physician necessarily will consider in consultation. . . .

Court's decisions recognizing a right of privacy also acknowledge that some state regulation in areas protected by that right is appropriate. As noted above, a State may properly assert important interests in safeguarding health, in maintaining medical standards, and in protecting potential life. At some point in pregnancy, these respective interests become sufficiently compelling to sustain regulation of the factors that govern the abortion decision. The privacy right involved, therefore, cannot be said to be absolute. In fact, it is not clear to us that the claim asserted by some amici that one has an unlimited right to do with one's body as one pleases bears a close relationship to the right of privacy previously articulated in the Court's decisions. . . .

Where certain "fundamental rights" are involved, the Court has held that regulation limiting these rights may be justified only by a "compelling state interest," . . . and that legislative enactments must be narrowly drawn to express only the legitimate state interests at stake.

YOUR views of the liberty interests involved in choices concerning personal autonomy are too narrow. You fail to appreciate the extent of the liberty interest at stake. The Roe v. Wade Court specifically said: "The detriment that the State would impose upon the pregnant woman by denying this choice altogether is apparent."

Maternity, or additional offspring, may force upon the woman a distressful life and future.

Psychological harm may be imminent.

Mental and physical health may be taxed by child care.

There is also the distress, for all concerned, associated with the unwanted child, and there is the problem of bringing a child into a family already unable, psychologically and otherwise, to care for it . . .

The Court has repeatedly stressed "Liberty finds no refuge in a jurisprudence of doubt." PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF SOUTHEASTERN PA. v. CASEY, 505 U.S. 833 (1992).

All fundamental rights comprised within the term liberty are protected by the Federal Constitution from invasion by the States. Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357, 373 (1927) (concurring opinion). Some argue that the Due Process Clause protects only those practices, defined at the most specific level, that were protected against government interference by other rules of law when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified. But such a view would be inconsistent with our law. It is a promise of the Constitution that there is a realm of personal liberty which the government may not enter. This principle has been vindicated over and over again in our case law for decades.

YOUR VIEW is that the liberty interests protected by Roe v. Wade, Planned Parenthood v. Casey, and Lawrence v. Texas are DIFFERENT and therefore the principles of liberty vindicated in case after case after case for decades in this country do not apply to a woman's choice to terminate her pregnancy. YOUR VIEW is completely without merit. YOU are the one who fails to grasp the most fundamental concepts of liberty.

Planned Parenthood v. Casey wrote:
[T]he full scope of the liberty guaranteed by the Due Process Clause cannot be found in or limited by the precise terms of the specific guarantees elsewhere provided in the Constitution. This "liberty" is not a series of isolated points pricked out in terms of the taking of property; the freedom of speech, press, and religion; the right to keep and bear arms; the freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures; and so on. It is a rational continuum which, broadly speaking, includes a freedom from all substantial arbitrary impositions and purposeless restraints, . . . and which also recognizes, what a reasonable and sensitive judgment must, that certain interests require particularly careful scrutiny of the state needs asserted to justify their abridgment. . . .

If indeed the woman's interest in deciding whether to bear and beget a child had not been recognized as in Roe, the State might as readily restrict a woman's right to choose to carry a pregnancy to term as to terminate it, to further asserted state interests in population control, or eugenics, for example. Yet Roe has been sensibly relied upon to counter any such suggestions. . . .

Whatever constitutional status the doctor-patient relation may have as a general matter, in the present context, it is derivative of the woman's position. The doctor-patient relation does not underlie or override the two more general rights under which the abortion right is justified: the right to make family decisions and the right to physical autonomy. On its own, the doctor-patient relation here is entitled to the same solicitude it receives in other contexts. Thus, a requirement that a doctor give a woman certain information as part of obtaining her consent to an abortion is, for constitutional purposes, no different from a requirement that a doctor give certain specific information about any medical procedure.

YOU erroneously believe, because a woman must seek a medical procedure to terminate her pregnancy, this fact defeats and extinguishes her liberty interests. You are wrong.

Under your narrow, skewed vision of the constitution and protected liberty interests -- not only could the state prohibit a woman from terminating a pregnancy -- the state could prohibit a woman from obtaining a tubal ligation simply because a doctor is involved. Again, you fail to grasp even the most fundamental concepts of liberty.

Under your narrow, skewed vision of the constitution and protected liberty interests -- wherein a woman has no choice concerning her reproductive destiny -- the state could completely prohibit abortions under all circumstance -- or the polar opposite: mandate abortions for population control.

If you haven't figured it out by now -- HERE IS THE LAW of the LAND: The state may regulate the medical profession and may regulate abortions, but the state MAY NOT foreclose a woman's choice to terminate her pregnancy prior to viability of the fetus.

"The ability of women to participate equally in the economic and social life of the Nation has been facilitated by their ability to control their reproductive lives."

YOUR VIEWS that the Constitution offers no protection to a woman's liberty interest in controlling her own reproductive destiny and does nothing more than relegate women to second-class citizenship and to deprive them of the equal right to participate in the economic and social life of the Nation.

Liberty means a great deal in this country, and like it or not, the Constitution protects a woman's choices concerning her own personhood and reproductive destiny. If the American People stubbornly refuse to protect the liberty interests of ALL THE PEOPLE, then we are living a grand lie. Our Constitution is not a false promise -- the protections it offers are not illusory. Wake up, smell the coffee, enter the twenty-first century, and start protecting liberty instead of looking for narrow-minded excuses to chip away at liberty which does nothing except subject all of us to oppression.

America the POLICE STATE? OR America the LAND OF THE FREE?

CHOOSE.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 04:55 pm
Re: Laws
Debra_Law wrote:
There is also the distress, for all concerned, associated with the unwanted child, and there is the problem of bringing a child into a family already unable, psychologically and otherwise, to care for it . . .

you've hit on the core of the issue here.

the "sanctity of life" view fails to acknowledge "quality of life".
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
Debra_Law:

The "Law of the Land" language is the stuff of tautologies. This thread asks the question of whether Roe should be overruled. One cannot argue that the "Law of the Land" should not be overruled because it is the "Law of the Land." Yes, Roe is the law of the land, but the question is whether it should be. Besides the "law of the land" bit, you are also repeating language used by the courts without critically examining it. Much (or all) of this language is from the Roe line itself. Using conclusions from Casey and Roe to support conclusions made in Casey and Roe is not compelling. Again, this is using conclusions as premises, and again, this is a textbook tautology.

You also continue to cite conclusions made in Casey about the threat of induced abortions without ever responding to my post on that exact topic! You therefore never address my argument; you simply posit a bald conclusion.

Furthermore, you misunderstand my statement of the rights announced in Lawrence. I did not state that "our cases," as a whole, state the privacy right too broadly. Nor did I state that the Lawrence formulation was too broad. I argued that you stated it too broadly, and that you've applied an argument made in Lawrence to this argument without giving me any substantial reasons for this move. An analogy between two different arguments (my argument and the argument made by the Bowers Court) lacks weight without an explanation of how that analogy fits. Give me a theory on your understanding of why the Bowers Court's conception of liberty was too narrow as compared to Lawrence, and how this argument applies to the current situation. Keep in mind that I agreed that the Bowers Court had too narrow of a formulation, but that I don't think your criticism of Bowers is relevant to me. The bald conclusion that my formulation of privacy is equivalent to that of the Bowers Court leaves me with nothing.

Finally, I attach no weight to the boilerplate language on "liberty" that is bolded throughout the above post. Those statements are not arguments by themselves. I don't deny "liberty"; I simply disagree with the Roe Court's interpretation of the Constitution and prior jurisprudence.
0 Replies