Are you in favor 0f Roe v Wade being upheld or overturned?

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
Poll: Americans Want Roe V. Wade Upheld

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A majority of Americans say President Bush's next choice for an opening on the Supreme Court should be willing to uphold the landmark court decision protecting abortion rights, an Associated Press poll found.

The poll found that 59 percent say Bush should choose a nominee who would uphold the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion. About three in 10, 31 percent, said they want a nominee who would overturn the decision, according to the poll conducted for the AP by Ipsos-Public Affairs.

"While I don't have a strong feeling about abortions personally, I wouldn't want the law overturned and return to the days of backdoor abortions," said Colleen Dunn, 40, a Republican and community college teacher who lives outside Philadelphia.

The preference for Supreme Court nominees who would uphold Roe v. Wade could be found among both men and women, most age groups, most income groups and people living in urban, suburban and rural areas. Fewer than half of Republicans, evangelicals and those over 65 said they favored a nominee who would uphold the abortion ruling.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,084 • Replies: 135
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
I would love to see Roe v. Wade overturned!

The resulting political mess, with some states outlawing abortions, battles over people crossing state lines, complications from backdoor abortions and the certain economic outfall...

This would do more to swing America to the side of progressive ideals than any other conceivable event.

Bring it on.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
Alright, that caught me off guard.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
Whoa.
I will tred lightly...

I am of the belief that it is a womans choice.
And if people dont believe that one should make that decision, then they just shouldnt make it themselves and leave others alone. Noone dictates what another person can and cant do.
Just let people be. I would hate to see others try to enforce thier beliefs, preferances and religious reasonings on someone else because that law was removed.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:33 pm
Haven't most European countries decided the "abortion" issue by vote?

That could be why there seems to be less "arguing" of the issue there, if indeed that is the case.

I think the same could apply here in the US, and perhaps we should see it decided on a state-by-state basis.

If the polls are accurate, apparently it would remain legal in most of the land.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:51 pm
As long as taxpayers do not have to "foot the bill", if a female want to kill her baby before birth, that is fine with me.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
woiyo wrote:
As long as taxpayers do not have to "foot the bill", if a female want to kill her baby before birth, that is fine with me.

If that's how you view it, how about women who want to kill their babies after birth?

(Just to play devil's advocate for a sec...)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:11 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I would love to see Roe v. Wade overturned!

The resulting political mess, with some states outlawing abortions, battles over people crossing state lines, complications from backdoor abortions and the certain economic outfall...

This would do more to swing America to the side of progressive ideals than any other conceivable event.

Bring it on.

As much as I agree with this, I still don't want to see Roe revisited, much less overturned.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:14 pm
JustWonders wrote:

Haven't most European countries decided the "abortion" issue by vote?
Quote:

What do you exactly mean by that?

We elect our parliaments here, so you can say, we 'voted' for these laws.

GROUNDS ON WHICH ABORTION IS PERMITTED IN IPPF EUROPEAN NETWORK COUNTRIES
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
I wouldn't want to see R vs. W overturned, as much as I would want to see it limited in scope. To use it as a method of birth control is awful and should be outlawed. To use it in extreme cases such as rape and incest would by much more adequate and proper. Make people have to use personal responsibility when it comes to sex and pregnancy.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:57 pm
Baldimo,

Do you believe the government has the authority or even an interest to "make people have to use personal responsibility" when it comes to anything?

You sound like a liberal.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:15 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I wouldn't want to see R vs. W overturned, as much as I would want to see it limited in scope. To use it as a method of birth control is awful and should be outlawed. To use it in extreme cases such as rape and incest would by much more adequate and proper. Make people have to use personal responsibility when it comes to sex and pregnancy.

No offense, but this is one of the dumbest, and most common arguments from conservatives I have encountered personally regarding the abortion issue.

To suggest that women use abortion as "a form of birth control" is pure conjecture, assumption, speculation, pick your word. Abortion, so I've heard, is not really a pleasant experience for a woman.

I'm with you on rape and incest, and I agree with you on the idea of "personal responsibility" (and well, you kinda do sound like a liberal there, :wink: ) regarding pregnancy, but it does take two to tango. You appear to be putting all the responsibility on the woman, which I don't believe is right.

In general, while I happen to agree with you on certain points, I find your characterization of abortion, and how it should be legalized, rather misguided, and very narrow-minded. In the interests of debate, how do you feel about stem-cell research?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
Personally, I don't think that it's the government's damn business what women do with their bodies, or what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms.

I think that many of the the religio-conservatives are a bunch of pious hypocrites. The right wing is supposed to be about smaller government. Apparently many have no compunction about putting their holy noses in places where they do not belong!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:33 pm
Yeah, and what Phoenix said.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:45 pm
Purely as a constitutional issue, it should be overturned. As a personal issue, I would prefer to see it limited to life-of-the-mother, rape, incest because I do not believe it is simply an issue of the woman's body; there is at least one other person who's body is at stake and another who at least contributed. That said, it'll be ugly no matter what happens - a terribly consequence of a supreme court that manufactures rights that the federal government does not have. For me, as far as Roe v. Wade is concerned, it's really not about a woman's rights, but about our constitution spelling out what the federal government can and cannot do - it's overstepping the bounds of the feds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
It seems apparent that you have never read the majority opinion in Roe v. Wade. The opinion turns of the right of States to regulate the behavior of their citizens, and the court found that States had and continue to have compelling interests in the regulation of abortion. This is not as black and white as Idaho would like to portray it, and it is certainly not a case of the Supremes usurping a power for the Federal government either from the several States or the people. It would help to do your homework before you make such sweeping and unfounded statements.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:04 pm
Idaho wrote
Quote:
Purely as a constitutional issue, it should be overturned.

Where in the constitution does it refer to abortion??
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
We wouldn't be having this debate if we lived in the netherlands.......why?
Becoase they have a decent sex education system where children (from a young age) are encourage to talk about sex and relationships, subjects that need to be 'learned' along with the three r's. The more informed person.....the more informed the choice. Abortion rates and rates of teenage pregnancy remain consistantly low.........it's all about education. I know a little about the law in the US, but I agree with the womans right to chose! I myself was educated in a convent (hard to beleive), sex was taboo along with Shakespeare (most strange) I feel I missed out on both subjects in my early years.

Had to wait until I was thirty to enjoy both.......now that's a crime!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I don't think that it's the government's damn business what women do with their bodies, or what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms.

I think that many of the the religio-conservatives are a bunch of pious hypocrites. The right wing is supposed to be about smaller government. Apparently many have no compunction about putting their holy noses in places where they do not belong!

My thoughts exactly.
> cheers <
Very Happy Laughing

This sort of subject will NEVER come to any kind of middle ground so long as religious groups still feel they can dictate what goes on in OTHER peoples lives.

I also agree with Cav. There is no way to prove that women use abortion for birth control. That is an enormous generalization that every woman would fall under if it became some kind of.. 'law'.
The alternative....
OUTLAW abortion. Make it unavailable for everyone.
Then watch, one by one, the women die from illegal abortions.
Wether you justify abortion with the scenerio of rape, incest .. what ever.
They will die. Our teenage girls, our mothers, our sisters. Noone knows what reasons a woman has for abortion. I can guarantee you that it isnt ease. But those reasons belong to her alone. Not the world.
And to say that there is no reason worthy of abortion is selfish, arrogant , hateful, and idiotic.

i will leave now. Mad
I dont like being mad about something i can do little or nothing about.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:20 pm
Hmm.. another thought..

If you limit abortion to rape victims..
Who is gonna prove who has / hasnt been raped?
who is going to look a raped woman in the eye and say, No, I dont believe you. ? Someone would have to right? So who is going to make the "rules" for determining who has been raped?
0 Replies