Blacks and women celebrate Condi Rice.

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:13 pm
I think making excuses for racism is a dangerous form of racism. Possibly more dangerous than the lunkheads that come out and say the crap.

What we established is I didn't say they were racists.

Do I think either of them go about harboring ill thoughts and feelings of superiority toward other people due to skin color and such? No. Do I think they embolden and service racism by keeping silent in the face of this crap? I certainly do.

I think they would both be outraged if this attack was on a liberal black woman by a Conservative press. I KNOW they would be. I think they've sold out their principles on this matter because of a dislike of the target of this assassination.

But, I've said everything once. No need to repeat. I'll direct my anger toward a direction that may make a difference, (getting that asshole fired) and move on to other topics.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:14 pm
"We've established that you don't think that nimh and dlowan have actually said anything racist here, right? "

If that is what Lash thinks, it is time she said it, Soz.

As far as I am concerned she has now twice called me racist.

"Making excuses for the sexist and highly racist cartoon of Condi as Butterfly McQueen nursing missles--making excuses for the Brown Sugar comment--admitting it is sexist an then saying it's funny anyway... You've lost the right to say anything to anyone about racism, IMO.
"

I do not think that can be taken any other way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:16 pm
Lash wrote:
I think making excuses for racism is a dangerous form of racism. Possibly more dangerous than the lunkheads that come out and say the crap.

Do I think either of them go about harboring ill thoughts and feelings of superiority toward other people due to skin color and such? No. Do I think they embolden and service racism by keeping silent in the face of this crap? I certainly do.

I think they would both be outraged if this attack was on a liberal black woman by a Conservative press. I KNOW they would be. I think they've sold out their principles on this matter because of a dislike of the target of this assassination.

But, I've said everything once. No need to repeat. I'll direct my anger toward a direction that may make a difference, (getting that **** fired) and move on to other topics.

And - the third time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:17 pm
Quote:

That's rather contradictory, Lash. Your first sentence clarifies that you're saying they ARE racist. You said specifically that dlowan was making excuses for racism, and then say that making excuses for racism is a particularly dangerous form of racism. If A = B, and B = C, A= C.

Thanks for clarifying.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:41 pm
Personally, I am an elitist-anarchist-antichrist. My friends call me dys or bob or hey you scum-sucking pig, you can call be anything after I'm gone, I won't mind. But don't call me condi!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:55 am
I do not believe Dlowan is racist, at least anymore than any of us are, and I do not believe Lash is guilty of calling Dlowan racist by virtue of Dlowan holding a view that Lash considers racist. If we cannot have a discussion about what is and is not racist without offending somebody who holds a conviction that falls within our definition of racism, then we can have no discussion on racism at all.

For instance, some might think opposition to affirmative action is racist. Others will think advocacy for affirmative action is racist. Most of us fall somewhere within those two opinions. So by virtue of the 'guilty by association' argument here, we are all racist.

That's pretty silly don't you think?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:38 am
No, actually I don't think it's silly at all. I think all people (including vitually all mamals) are racist. I also think we are capable of working around our racist tendencies because we have the ability to overcome primitive influences.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:12 am
Well, I meant silly in the sense that we call a person racist in its most negative sense because a person holds a particular opinion about race. I think it is fairly difficult to train ourselves to be totally oblivious to characteristics of others. I suppose I will always be conscious that another person is black or Asian or Hispanic or redheaded or incredibly beautiful or whatever they are that is different from or the same as me.

I also have a tendency to stereotype people that I don't know. I am usually surprised if an Asian is not good in math or when an Italian doesn't appreciate a good wine or when a Hispanic American is not bilingual or the redhead I just met has no temper at all. Is that racist? I suppose technically it is, but I do not judge myself or others negatively for it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:43 pm
Well, it took too long--but at least someone said something.--Mfume breaks silence--

--------
(Sylvester) He fanned the flames two days later by issuing an apology to the fictional Aunt Jemima. Sylvester has been sharply criticized by civic and civil rights leaders; NAACP president Kweisi Mfume said the attacks on Rice "are just as bad as those who hide under sheets and burn crosses."

-------
I agree with his statement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:49 pm
The conservatives will stoop as low as necessary to reverse the roles of Democrats with black Americans and Republicans with black Americans. Unfortunately for them, it ain't happening, because Republicans have no undrestanding and no compassion, just rhetoric. Trying to trick or goad liberals into calling someone racist names is a new low.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:57 pm
Unfortunately for blacks, it IS happening. The Republicans didn't do anything to cause this, but appoint two or three black people to cabinet positions based on merit and impeccable credentials.

The Dems have done the rest. They would have screeched had any liberal black woman been portrayed as such--and rightly so. People like PDiddie are what is showing just how deep your average Dem's respect for black Americans really goes. Its real thick right before election--sort of dries up soon after.

What does that picture of Condi Rice portrayed as Aunt Jemima say to you, eb? Honestly?

And if Rush Limbaugh had published a picture of Carol Moseley-Braun as Aunt Jemima? Think about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:02 pm
Continuing my anti-monolith theme (nothing personal, PDiddie -- are you a monolith or two? anyway), you'll note, Lash, that "the Dems" as represented here HAVE said ooh that ain't good. I did just a ways up there. You can ignore that to make your point, just makes it an unconvincing point.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:05 pm
Can you honestly not see how sick this is? Can you honestly not see why your party lost? Do you not see that there are decent people all over this country that are sick and tired and want, and yes, demanded better?

I totally understand why you are now referred to as the Party of Intolerance. You are the most insensitive, hate-filled, angry, and mean-spirited people I've ever come across. You will never win again.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:06 pm
Soz sees it. Pdiddie obviously doesn't Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:08 pm
And from two people (or actually I guess just that one person), generalizations of a whole party can be made, of course. :-)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:11 pm
No, but what a person tolerates can create a strong impression. It is that the Dems do not condemn the likes of Michael Moore or an obscene hateful fund raiser in New York or the sanctimonious, self-righteous pronouncement of Hollywood, or the race baiting in these images PDiddie has posted that sears an image of intolerance and anti-American values into the minds of many. It is precisely this kind of stuff that I believe cost Kerry the election. Bush wasn't that attractive a candidate. But he was on the same side of the fence as most of America.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:13 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
the sanctimonious, self-righteous pronouncement of Hollywood,

so Arnold's off the agenda?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
sozobe--

You must know I realize every single Democrat doesn't agree with these characterizations.

But, many of them are calling into talk shows, and many here and elsewhere on the web are perpetuating the racial slurs.

I didn't plan to become so vocal about it--but I have to admit I have been shocked by it. The news would be running this constantly if the victim was liberal. The difference in what is accepted due to politics is astounding. And the thing is--Condi Rice will be OK. But, this is demeaning to blacks in general. I wonder what black children--especially young girls--think of this when they see it in the papers.

Anyway. I need to decompress about this subject. Its just upsetting on a couple of levels to me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
Arnold long ago moved right of center though he is more centrist than some. As such I doubt he gets invited to many Hollywood parties.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
But we do!

To take one of your examples, whole bunch of us have been condemning Michael Moore in various contexts, right here, for quite a while now. Do a search for my name, mentions of Michael Moore.

Whatever.

My overall point is -- a) we Dems are not nearly so monolithic as you seem to think, b) I don't think Republicans are either, c) if I DID, there's some mighty ugly stuff out there posted and/or spoken by Republicans -- here, airwaves, blogs, etc. -- and it would not be hard to find something infinitely more racist than anything PDiddie has said here, expressed by a Republican. If you want to find surveys or studies or something a tiny bit more scientific than the posts of one or two people on an Internet forum, fine. But what numbers I know of indicate that black people still overwhelmingly vote Democratic -- Republicans made small gains, but it's not like Republicans got anywhere near half the black vote.
0 Replies