Blacks and women celebrate Condi Rice.

JustWonders

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:27 am
PDiddie wrote:
Can we count on you to start a thread declaring the astounding diversity of the Republican Party when one of those Justice-designates comes out of the closet at his (or her) Senate confirmation?

I won't be worrying, but I'm sure you'll still be wondering...

What I can count on is that your leftist feelings of bleakness, defeat, fear and pessimism will continue to be fueled by your association and admiration of Democratic Underground, that sadly representative website of hate-filled, unhappy and loony libs.

And, to anyone who sees the DU as a "grassroots" effort, I can only laugh because they are truly history's fools and I count on them and your involvement to further sink you and the Dems into total irrelevancy.

Laughing It's going to be a great four more years Smile Laughing

PS....The only thing that would delight me more is seeing the DU freak out upon learning that John Ashcroft might be on the short list to be named the next Chief Justice. Laughing
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:26 am
I find it to be of more than passing interest to note that the prominent minority figures among Republicans tend to be people who are professionally accomplished in their own rights and influential as individuals, not as representatives of a class or designated 'minority' or protected group. Conversely their counterparts among Democrats tend to be the professional advocates of continued dependency by those same groups. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton being merely the most obvious examples.

Who are the exploiters here?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:38 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I find it to be of more than passing interest to note that the prominent minority figures among Republicans tend to be people who are professionally accomplished in their own rights and influential as individuals, not as representatives of a class or designated 'minority' or protected group. Conversely their counterparts among Democrats tend to be the professional advocates of continued dependency by those same groups. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton being merely the most obvious examples.

I gather from race pimps like Jesse Jackson and some here that is just ducky if blacks achieve the level of success of the GOP minority icons...but only if they are liberal and promote a Nanny government for minorities.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:28 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

You see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as Democratic counterparts to Condi Rice and Colin Powell? Shocked

There were minorities and women appointed during the Clinton administration who would qualify as counterparts, and they were certainly professionally accomplished.

When you find out that Clinton appointed someone to a high office who up until that time had been a bum on the street with a bottle of TBird in a paper bag, you let me know. Then I can show you how if he'd been white he could've been president.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:37 pm
Ex-Surgeon General and certified fruitcake Jocelyn Elders?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
http://www.blackseek.com/bh/2001/83_JElders.htm

Quote:

Jocelyn Elders was born Minnie Lee Jones on August 13, 1933 in Schall, Arkansas. In college, she changed her name to Minnie Jocelyn Elders, thereafter, using Jocelyn.
In 1952, she received her BA in Biology from Philander Smith College in Little Rock, Arkansas. She joined the Army in 1953. During her three years in the military, she trained as a physical therapist. Following her military service, Jocelyn attended the University of Arkansas medical school.

In 1960, she received her MD. She then after worked at the University of Minnesota Hospital and at the University of Arkansas. In 1967, she received her MS in Biochemistry.

Jocelyn received a National Institute of Health Career Development award and also served as an assistant professor in pediatrics at the University of Arkansas Medical Center.

She was promoted to associate professor in 1971 and professor in 1976. Her research interest was endocrinology. In 1978, she received certifications a pediatric endocrinologist. She became an expert on childhood sexual development.

In 1987, Governor Bill Clinton appointed her Director of the Arkansas Department of Health. On September 8, 1993, President Bill Clinton appointed her Surgeon General of the Public Health Service.

She was a strong advocate for health education including sex education in schools. Due to a controversial remark with regards to sex education, she was forced to resign, after a short 15 months of service.

Jocelyn returned to the University of Arkansas Medical Center as a professor of Pediatrics.

Sounds qualified and accomplished to me.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Ex-Surgeon General and certified fruitcake Jocelyn Elders?

Certified by whom, JustWonders?

Actually, this whole debate reminds me of one of the funnier moments of a campaign during the '80s, maybe 1984. It was an early stage of the campaign with lots of Democratic candidates still in the running. During a debate, the quetion had to do with appointing women to top posts. The various candidates tried to one-up each other on how many they'd appoint when it became Sen. Ernest Hollings' turn.

"Mah women," he exclaimed, "are better than your women!"

A sense of humor, he had...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:48 pm
Laughing Our blacks are better than your blacks....
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
Oh. Ok. Am I the only one who remembers a couple of years ago when Jocelyn Elders was on CNN defending her introduction to a book on child molestation.

"We're too sensitive about it."
"Some kids like it." she said.

??? You guys don't think she's nuts?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:57 pm
You forgot to post the link, JW, so here it is http://www.house8.net/weblog/archives/002625.php
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 04:04 pm
Here's another:

The book has been endorsed by Dr. Jocelyn Elders, who wrote the foreword, and by authors Robie Harris, James Kincaid, and Debbie Nathan. But a misleading interview with the author in late March quickly triggered a national wave of protests against the book, mostly coming from religious fundamentalists. The article by Mark O'Keefe (Newhouse News Service, published in the Star Tribune) titled "Some in mainstream contend certain cases of adult-minor sex should be acceptable" discusses recent scientific studies of adult-child sexual interaction. One of these studies is the controversial meta-analysis by psychologists Bruce Rind and Michael Bauserman that found that negative effects of adult-child sexual contact "were neither pervasive nor typically intense, and that men reacted much less negatively than women." (Much of Rind and Bauserman's work is documented here.) [Also here] Their study has been subject of loud scientific and political controversy (so much that the US House of Representatives eventually unanimously passed a resolution condemning the study).

The study is cited by Judith Levine in her book, which is described in the article as follows:

A soon-to-be-released book, "Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex," is being advertised by its publisher, University of Minnesota Press, as challenging widespread anxieties about pedophilia.

In an interview, the book's author, journalist Judith Levine, praised the Rind study as evidence that "doesn't line up with the ideology that it's always harmful for kids to have sexual relationships with adults."

She said the pedophilia among Roman Catholic priests is complicated to analyze, because it's almost always secret, considered forbidden and involves an authority figure.

She added, however, that, "yes, conceivably, absolutely" a boy's sexual experience with a priest could be positive.

"When I was a minor, I had sex with an adult," she said. "He was one of my first lovers. My heart was broken, but my heart was broken by a lot of boys, too. I'd say on balance that it was a perfectly good experience."

http://www.ipce.info/library_3/files/levine/lev_burn.htm
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 04:09 pm
Doesn't make her a quack. There are a lot of articles about the book -- which she is apparently only wrote the forward for -- and you can find a bit more about what was written and what was not written by digging around.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 04:13 pm
Well, then, your blacks are better than ours Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 04:57 pm
All your blacks are belong to us.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,396975,00.jpg

Here's a recent Oz cartoonist's view of Rice's role in her new position ....
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
Thanks for sharing that, MsOlga. Surely a tribute to the compassion you cite in your sig line. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:54 pm
<sigh> I only wish Rice & Bush could be more compassionate in the way they go about their business. The world would be a safer & better place, for sure ....
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:50 pm
JustWonders wrote:
What I can count on is that your leftist feelings of bleakness, defeat, fear and pessimism will continue to be fueled by blahblahblah

Wow, you use those like they were curse words. I actually don't feel any of those things. Maybe you're projecting your own feelings of self-worthlessness ....?

then she wrote:
...I can only laugh because they are truly history's fools...

"truly history's fools"? Not given to hyperbole much, are ya?

then she wrote:
and I count on them and your involvement to further sink you and the Dems into total irrelevancy.

Come now, it would be pretty foolish to count on something like that...

and then she wrote:
Laughing It's going to be a great four more years Smile Laughing

Mmmmaybe. Maybe not. We'll see.

Finally she wrote:
PS....The only thing that would delight me more is seeing the DU freak out upon learning that John Ashcroft might be on the short list to be named the next Chief Justice. Laughing

Eh, I don't think any would freak out, as Ashcroft stands not the slightest chance of being confirmed. Bush isn't so foolish as to nominate him, either.

Listen honey, I hope all your dreams come true, but I won't gloat if they don't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:04 pm
JW is a woman? Shocked
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:25 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

You see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as Democratic counterparts to Condi Rice and Colin Powell? Shocked

There were minorities and women appointed during the Clinton administration who would qualify as counterparts, and they were certainly professionally accomplished.

No I don't see them as counterparts, and that is precisely the point.

The most prominent "minority" in the Clinton cabinet was Secretary of Energy Hazel O'Leary. She was below par even among the list of undistinguished people who have held that position during the last several decades. Certainly she too was no counterpart to Powell or Rice.
0 Replies