Blacks and women celebrate Condi Rice.

Lash

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:33 pm
Well, I thought it would be nice to see that title somewhere...since I can't find it in Reality....

It is wild to me how such an effective, strong, woman--the closest advisor to the most powerful person in the world--has garnered no more support, no accolades from women and blacks--two groups who are always trying to find successful sisters or positive stories of black achievement.

I have noticed a distinct discrimination among women and blacks in whom they will ballyhoo, and whom they won't. If any other woman in this country had soared to the heights Condi has reached, it would be Mardi Gras 24/7...

Clarence Thomas is unwelcomed among his own race. The second black person to serve on the SCOTUS. Even if he had a disfiguring pigment problem and a third leg, if he were the slightest bit liberal--he'd have statues and streets named after him already.

I heard a Georgia mayor on NPR today, and was heartened. He was explaining to the (of course, liberal) quizzical reporter how he could be a Republican. It was as if he had to apologize to the entire black community... I was proud that he told the reporter he felt racially stereotyped to be expected to be a Democrat. He shouldn't be expected to be anything.

It is to the great, abiding shame of women and blacks to turn their backs on the great achievements of these people.

It is the New Racism; by blacks against blacks. The New Feminist Sexism. Appalling.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 16,225 • Replies: 300
No top replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:40 pm
Some liberals don't much cotton to "uppity" blacks like Powell, Thomas and Rice confronting racial discrimination and outright racism and leaving the plantation of dependency on white liberals and achieving the great things they are capable of.

Gotta' keep 'em in their place, you know.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:43 pm
Larry--

LOL!!

(You said it better than I could.)
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
Lash wrote:
Larry--

LOL!!

(You said it better than I could.)

It is so obvious.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
What are you talking about, Rice is just another bush lackey, yes-woman for bush, his bobble-head, why are you expecting women or blacks to support her? What does women or black have to do with it.
Clinton had a women secretary of state, and Rice does not represent blacks, so what is your beef?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:48 pm
dare2think wrote:
What are you talking about, Rice is just another bushs lackey, yes-woman for bush, his bobble-head, why are you expecting women or blacks to support her? What does women or black have to do with it.
Clinton had a women secretary of state, and Rice does not represent blacks, so what is your beef?

Being a staffer, Rice doesn't currently represent anyone, does she?

Of course when she is confirmed as Secretary of State, she will represent the U.S., which does now include full fledged black citizens you know. So she will then represent black women as well as all other citizens, won't she?
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
There are many blacks in politics who are well respected and admired in the black community, Rice and Thomas are not.
If you want to who these people are, instead of me typing them all up, go do the research yourselves.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
My beef is that these two groups are always inviting members of their demographic, who have been successful in the public arena to speak at their events --and throw them events--issue awards and such.

In the very least, they acknowledge their accomplishments. The silence is quite noticable and distasteful.

They ignore the achievements of women and blacks who are conservative.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:54 pm
What amuses me about Rice is that she lived in the South during the Civil Rights movement, and that experience seems to have left her untouched. Yet Bush mentioned that background as though she actually did anything beyond striving toward her own growth.

More power to her for her achievements. But don't be surprised if you're not hearing wild applause from her community, because I'm not sure she has one...
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:12 pm
individuals
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
dare2think wrote:
There are many blacks in politics who are well respected and admired in the black community, Rice and Thomas are not.
If you want to who these people are, instead of me typing them all up, go do the research yourselves.

That is just it. The one's you speak of represent and promote dependence on the government for black people and disdain those blacks who achieve beyond that dependence based only on the opportunities available to all and their own determination to break those chains of bondage.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:24 pm
Larry434 wrote:
dare2think wrote:

That is just it. The one's you speak of represent and promote dependence on the government for black people and disdain those blacks who achieve beyond that dependence based only on the opportunities available to all and their own determination to break those chains of bondage.

That's a generalization.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
You're right about one thing, steppenwolf--I used shorthand "women" and "blacks" (I know they're not all hanging out in a lobby together)----I meant NOW and the NAACP and other such aligned groups that are purported to represent their demographic.

Many in the black community look at the NAACP as the mouthpiece for the black community. They definitely see themselves that way. They prouce the Image Awards and a plethora of community- geared events. To exclude people who have been great role models--who have incredible acheivements because they aren't Democrats--is discriminatory.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:27 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
dare2think wrote:

That's a generalization.

Of course it is. But can you name a prominent black who does NOT support minority dependence on government who is "respected" in the black community.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:30 pm
Lash wrote:
You're right about one thing, steppenwolf--I used shorthand "women" and "blacks" (I know they're not all hanging out in a lobby together)----I meant NOW and the NAACP and other such aligned groups that are purported to represent their demographic.

Many in the black community look at the NAACP as the mouthpiece for the black community. They definitely see themselves that way. They prouce the Image Awards and a plethora of community- geared events. To exclude people who have been great role models--who have incredible acheivements because they aren't Democrats--is discriminatory.

But as I said, being "discriminatory" on the basis of political views is absolutely nothing like being discriminatory on the basis of race or gender. We cannot compare the two. A significant number of Americans (and members of this forum) routinely discriminate on the basis of party affiliation by voting for only one party or categorically supporting members of one party. It's a shame, but not a sin.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:41 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
dare2think wrote:

That's a generalization.

Of course it is. But can you name a prominent black who does NOT support minority dependence on government who is "respected" in the black community.

Well, for starters, as I said to Lash: lumping together the "black community" is silly. Black Republicans are a reality, and blacks aren't a homogonous, monolithic group. Although I won't speak for an entire "community," many of my independent and Democratic black acquaintances support Powell. I would wager that the majority of blacks admire and respect the late Martin Luther King. Some support Bill Cosby, and many agree with his recent statements.

You can either call those people exceptions, or you can recognize that blacks are individuals with individual preferences. On the whole, I find this name game you're dragging me into unproductive.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:46 pm
King is admired by Americans of all races, in general.

What is Cosby's position on government prescribed racial preferences for blacks?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:52 pm
Acknowledging success and agreeing with someone's political stance are completely separate things.

They are BLACK. They are SUCCESSFUL.

Condi is a woman. She has attained a position of power. Where's NOW's party?

That has been the criteria for everyone else...

Even rappers who teach our children that women are ho's and bitches are solemnly awarded plaques for their great role model behavior. They'd break someone out of the penitentiary to award a plaque.

I demand a plaque for Condi.
(Planning to wage a protest.)
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:53 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
What amuses me about Rice is that she lived in the South during the Civil Rights movement, and that experience seems to have left her untouched. Yet Bush mentioned that background as though she actually did anything beyond striving toward her own growth.

More power to her for her achievements. But don't be surprised if you're not hearing wild applause from her community, because I'm not sure she has one...

Speaking of the civil rights movement, Rice said, "the civil rights movement was unnecessary", is there any wonder the black community does not claim her.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:54 pm
Larry434 wrote:
King is admired by Americans of all races, in general.

What is Cosby's position on government prescribed racial preferences for blacks?

Cosby recently made some controversial statements at an NAACP conference celebrating the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board. Evidence suggests that he does not favor prescribed racial preferences. However, I don't know whether he specifically commented on that point. See http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38565. I'm sure the transcript of that event is lying about somewhere, but I've got other duties that prevent me researching this at the moment.
0 Replies