Liberal Cartoonists, Liberal Racism

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:41 pm
I'm surprised I've seen no mention of this one on A2K, since it's pretty much the hot topic on a lot of boards tonight.

Limbaugh and Sean Hannity were both talking about the treatment of Condi Rice by editorial cartoonists in the mainstream liberal media today, and both were pretty much outraged as were a number of their callers.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1282604/posts

http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/clips/04/11/111704_4_rice.asx

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.parcol11.0007.ImageFile.gif

Oliphant:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_111704/content/left_hits_new_low.Par.0001.ImageFile.gif

Doonesbury:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_111704/content/left_hits_new_low.Par.0002.ImageFile.gif

Danziber:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_111704/content/left_hits_new_low.Par.0007.ImageFile.jpg

Rush Limbaugh
Quote:

...This Condoleezza Rice business: you know, ladies and gentlemen, what is being done to her, particularly -- and it's not just articles. It's even worse here in a series of editorial cartoons, and I saw these editorial cartoons last night, and I've been eagerly waiting all day today to see if there's any reaction to their at all, and I didn't think there would be, and the reason I didn't think there would be is because every one of these editorial cartoons is in a big liberal newspaper, and every one of these editorial cartoons is drawn by a big liberal cartoonist. This stuff is grotesque. No American, certainly not a person of Dr. Condoleezza Rice's stature, should be treated like this. It is a new low....

...In the lower left-hand column, the two staple characters in Oliphant cartoons, I guess two little birds [one dressed as Uncle Sam] and one says to the other "Don't look to me. I didn't vote for him," and the other one says, "Neither did I." So the point of this is to make fun of and laugh at Bush's stupidity, Condoleezza Rice being a no-brain individual who's nothing but a step-and-fetch-it black, made to look like a grotesque parrot who does nothing more than parrot an idiot president, George W. Bush. It is grotesque. It is insulting. It is vile. It is angry. It is childish, and it is typical I think of what the left has become. They claim to be holy than thou. They claim to be above all of us when it comes to understanding the downtrodden and minorities. They claim to be the only ones that have the ability to have the compassion and understanding, and yet they get away with racism. They get away with bigotry. They get away with sexism, and they get away with homophobia -- and in the case of Condoleezza Rice, they get away with an attempted character destruction of a truly brilliant and accomplished woman who came from nothing to become the first black female secretary of state. You'd think they'd be applauding instead of making fun of her this way....

http://www.flashback.se/arkiv/gifs/racist/cartoon.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,210 • Replies: 141
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:55 pm
http://www.edivu.com/editorial1/jmargulies/margulies111704.jpg
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:25 pm
those rightwing hypocrites would be laughing it up if it were Hillary being made fun of.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:37 pm
Elephant rush limpballs called Chelsea a dog on the radio, when she was just a child of 12 years old.
I despise that hypocrite jerk, rush limpballs.

Why should Sharpton, Jackson and other blacks come to the defense of Rice when she has nothing to do with the black community. She is not black.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:00 am
I am trying to figure out if they are racist - I can't see that the little bird one is - mebbe sexist - but I think any gender and race would look fine as that little bird (having just spent an 'orrible five months near the seats of power).

The aluminium tubes - I suppose that is a Gone With the Wind reference? "I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no babies, Miss Scarlett!" ????

Hmmm - it wouldn't be racist, I think, if she were not black - or is any reference to GWTW racist these days?

Damn it! It probably IS racist - which is a bummer - cos I think it encapsulates the horror of actually being asked to do something that you have only had to talk about before.

I suppose the other one is said to be racist cos of the "brown sugar" reference?

I do not know American mores enough to comment on that - but the rest of the content is very cutting and effective.

I shall leave it to Murricans to say if Brown Sugar is racist in such circumstances - I think it a demeaning way to refer to someone - I would certainly see it as somewhat sexist - but pretty funny despite that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:05 am
" and in the case of Condoleezza Rice, they get away with an attempted character destruction of a truly brilliant and accomplished woman who came from nothing to become the first black female secretary of state. You'd think they'd be applauding instead of making fun of her this way...."

Hmmm - I think that is a bit like the dumb old "I'd rather have my milk snatched by a woman" arguments that some (in my view) misguided feminists used to try to justify support for Thatcher amongst women.

If you think someone's politics, and the way they conduct political business, awful, I do not think that having a particular race and gender makes that any less assailable.

I DO think it is a good thing for the US that a woman can get such a position - but I don't think that her gender and race make Rice a good thing.

Don't political cartoonists make fun of everybody?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:47 am
Part of Limbaugh on AM yesterday:

RUSH: Here's Gino in Chicago. Gino, welcome to the EIB Network. Nice to have you with us.

CALLER: How you doing? Rush, I enjoy your show.

RUSH: Thank you, sir.

CALLER: You know, I can't say how back I am taken at the New York Times and the article, the cartoon. I'm waiting for black leadership to stand up and say "Hey, you know what? This is wrong." I'm waiting to hear Jesse Jackson; I'm waiting to hear from the leaders of the Nation of Islam; I'm waiting to hear from Jesse Jackson, Jr.; I'm waiting to hear from Al Sharpton, but I'm waiting to hear from them. But you know what I'm going to hear, Rush? I'm going to hear silence. Do you know why? It's not, "Well, I'm up for the black man." They're more Democratic than they are black. That's the only way I can put it. They are more Democratic than they are black, and I have to say --

RUSH: No, hey, Gino, I must applaud you, sir. (applauding) You are exactly right. You know why? Because every name you mentioned gets a seat at the Democratic Party's power table in exchange for what you just said: Selling out their own people and interests in exchange for that position of power at the Democratic Party.

CALLER: It is.

RUSH: Al Sharpton's not going to do anything that would upset his status and upcoming status, whatever he thinks it is, in the Democratic Party. Jesse Jackson, none of these people that you mentioned are going to run the risk of incurring the wrath of the mainstream media, which is their megaphone. They're not at all going to do that by being critical of this. In fact they may pile on and offer their own so-called learned opposition to Dr. Rice.

CALLER: Where I come from, I'm from, like I said, from the inner city, raised in the projects 20 years of my life. I had to make some adjustments, and because I tried to make some adjustments. I was ridiculed. I was turned off. There was a documentary being filmed somewhere here in Chicago, and I stepped up to the mic to give my opinion on something, and because of the way I spoke, Rush, they would not take me! They would not. Do you understand what I'm saying?

RUSH: Totally.

CALLER: They take the fellows from the hood that want to talk, "Yeah, yeah! Me and my fellows, me and my homeys, me and my boys," versus someone who's trying to articulate, trying to express --

RUSH: Hey, hey.

CALLER: (Laughs) Do you see where I'm coming from?

RUSH: You're talking to the converted, Gino. I mean, when they want Sean Combs out there -- P. Diddy, for those of you in the red states -- registering voters with a program called Vote or Die; they'd rather be associated with P. Diddy or Russell Simmons of the hip-hop network or whatever it is he runs, and all of these programs that are designed to keep certain black voters on the liberal plantation. None of these people are going to have any objection to this. I would be stunned, because my guess is they all think this. Condoleezza Rice, my guess is they're all jealous of her. My guess is they can't hold a candle to Condoleezza Rice. Their brains combined wouldn't equal her IQ and they know this. They're never going to rise to the stature and status of Dr. Condoleezza Rice and that burns them up and one of the reasons they're not going to rise there is they're going to have to continue doing what the leaders of the Democratic Party demand they do to hold onto the crumbs that they have. It's pure and simple.

Everybody on the left is bitter about something these days, but this bitterness is causing them to drop this wall, this mask that surrounds them and hides who they really are. They're so frustrated that they're just shouting from the mountaintops who they really are, today especially in the face of these editorial cartoons. Again go to RushLimbaugh.com right at the top of the page, and we've linked to the outrageous cartoons we found just today.

Tony in Indianapolis. Welcome, sir. You're next on the EIB Network. Hi.

CALLER: Yeah, Rush. It's a pleasure to listen. Basically, I'm an inner city young black male from Indianapolis, and I'm going to tell you, you know, I don't totally agree with Bush and Condoleezza Rice, but I would say that I would debate Condoleezza Rice on the issues, and I would respect her doctorate. I respect her experience, and you know what? I think it's crap that these guys will resort to these tactics when 30 years of breaking out cartoons, these racially motivated cartoons. I'm not the staunchest supporter of the Bush campaign and, you know, and I'm not a strong supporter of Kerry, either. He was -- he was, who knows what was wrong with him --

RUSH: We got it, yeah.

CALLER: -- but I'm gonna tell you no heart how you feel about this issue, the debate has to be on the issue, and I'll tell you what: I'm hot right now. I'm hot. This is unbelievable.

RUSH: Well, I'm glad, frankly. I'm glad to hear that you're hot. I think it's about time that you and others in your position got hot because this isn't new. It's just more blatant than it's ever been.

CALLER: You brought some points up. The lady in Glen Burnie, Maryland, she was a hundred percent right. The welfare system was put in place to destroy the black families. You know, you get a benefit when you drive the black man out the home. You know, the benefit is for the black man being gone. The benefit is for there not being cohesion in the family. All this stuff set into place, and I thank God that right now it's like a time of enlightenment where the truth is coming out, where people are finally seeing the truth, and people are making decisions. I know a lot of black people who voted for Bush just for the simple fact -- and I've been a Democrat my whole life -- but for the simple fact the Democratic Party has gone off the deep end.

RUSH: (Laughing)

CALLER: They've totally lost their mind, and the only restraint is to pull back and vote for the Republican Party where there was some kind of semblance of morals.

RUSH: You know, Tony, I cannot improve on that. You know, your passion speaks for itself, along with your words, and I appreciate your call. Thank you so much. I appreciate it very much.

CALLER: Thank you. Keep it up.

RUSH: I'll do my best. (Laughs) That's Tony he's fired up. He's 24-years-old, and he's from he's from Indianapolis.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:55 am
dare2think wrote:
Elephant rush limpballs called Chelsea a dog on the radio, when she was just a child of 12 years old.
I despise that hypocrite jerk, rush limpballs.

Why should Sharpton, Jackson and other blacks come to the defense of Rice when she has nothing to do with the black community. She is not black.

Condi Rice is not black.

Bush did not win the election.

Up is down.

BTW, perhaps Condi became unblack when she left her black roots in segregated Birmingham and began the trek to be all she could be.

Born November 14, 1954 in Birmingham, Alabama, she earned her bachelor's degree in political science, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver in 1974; her master's from the University of Notre Dame in 1975; and her Ph.D. from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver in 1981. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and has been awarded honorary doctorates from Morehouse College in 1991, the University of Alabama in 1994, the University of Notre Dame in 1995, the National Defense University in 2002, the Mississippi College School of Law in 2003, the University of Louisville and Michigan State University in 2004. She resides in Washington, D.C.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:12 am
dlowan wrote:

Sure they do. I think that the problem with what they were doing with Dr. Rice is that they were using ill disguised racist references.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:25 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Sure they do. I think that the problem with what they were doing with Dr. Rice is that they were using ill disguised racist references.

Political cartoonists use characatures that exaggerate the physical and ethnic attributes of their subjects. I do not have a problem with that, personally.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:32 am
Quote:
Political cartoonists use characatures that exaggerate the physical and ethnic attributes of their subjects. I do not have a problem with that, personally.

Larry434- Maybe, in the years to come, I will agree with you. The problem is, IMO, that it has not been a very long time since black people were not allowed in seats of power. Now we have a brilliant woman, who is being appointed to a top job in the administration. I think that the spectre of racism is too recent to make sport of Dr. Rice through stereotyped cartoons. Maybe in 50 years or so..................................
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:36 am
"brown sugar" is Bush's nickname for Rice. That racist bastard!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:39 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Doh, Phoenix - did you read both my posts?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:40 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Larry434- Maybe, in the years to come, I will agree with you. The problem is, IMO, that it has not been a very long time since black people were not allowed in seats of power. Now we have a brilliant woman, who is being appointed to a top job in the administration. I think that the spectre of racism is too recent to make sport of Dr. Rice through stereotyped cartoons. Maybe in 50 years or so..................................

I disagree. Being a black political figure entitles Condi to no exemptions or special consideration, IMO. If she was a big black woman, I suspect they would depict her as Aunt Jemima.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:41 am
Quote:
Born November 14, 1954 in Birmingham, Alabama, she earned her bachelor's degree in political science, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver in 1974; her master's from the University of Notre Dame in 1975; and her Ph.D. from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver in 1981. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and has been awarded honorary doctorates from Morehouse College in 1991, the University of Alabama in 1994, the University of Notre Dame in 1995, the National Defense University in 2002, the Mississippi College School of Law in 2003, the University of Louisville and Michigan State University in 2004. She resides in Washington, D.C.

There is no doubt that she has a fine academic background, the multiple honorarys notwithstanding. There is also no doubt that she presided as National Security Advisor during the attacks of 9/11 and pushed hard for the President's position on WMD during the runup to war that now has been shown to be based on air-headed suspicions. She ought to have been fired on 9/12.

Are the cartoons racist? Yeah. Is using the cartoons by Rush to create controversy as a method to cover her ineptness, racist? yup.

I didn't vote for Bush. I am along for the ride. Is this the best he's got for Sec. of State. hmmm. ok. Here we go.

Joe
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:41 am
blatham wrote:

Sounds like a compliment to me. I am certain Condi is not ashamed of being the race she is, and having the defining physical characteristics thereof. .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:42 am
blatham wrote:

Triple sting, eh?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:45 am
I can't think of a Republican more qualified academically and with more on the job experience, can you Joe?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:11 am
I question including the ad for Acme School of drawing. How is that germane to anything but stirring racist animosity toward liberals, despite the fact it may well be an ad dreamt up by the KKK or even Rush himself?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:16 am
Yet another masterpiece on 'the meaning of irony' by gungasnake.
0 Replies