Liberal Cartoonists, Liberal Racism

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:17 am
yeppers - my thoughts exactly. Mebbe he thought some folk would need their faces rubbed in that in order to see the racism?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:20 am
it is the business of political cartoonists. If Rush has a problem, (after all he epitomizes fairness in radio), then we should look into doing more.
Condi Rice has been a toadie of this administration. She has gone on tv aand lied openly to spin a story or obfuscate an issue. She fits this admins "values" perfecttly. She deserves no special treatment in her ethnicity or gender. SHES A HIGHLY PLACED PUBLIC FIGURE and, as such, she deserves only the treatment that her actions dictate.
To state otherwise (as Rush's pep rally) is actually the racism. Were way beyond that. Were more like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise and everyones saying thhat Uhura is an ass kisser.
Go back in history and see thhe cartoons that were done of earlier public figures.

I agree thaat the attacks on Chelsea Clinton by that drug poppin balloon head were truly evil . because Chelsea wasnt part of anything , she was only te young daughhter of a president.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:20 am
dlowan wrote:
yeppers - my thoughts exactly. Mebbe he thought some folk would need their faces rubbed in that in order to see the racism?

I understand that base instinct, but I suppose it all depends on whose faces, yes? At least that's how it reads.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:23 am
Lol - well, I left it open in order not to be too offensive, or predictable.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:35 am
I agree thaat the attacks on Chelsea Clinton by that drug poppin balloon head were truly evil . because Chelsea wasnt part of anything , she was only te young daughhter of a president.

Me too.

And the attacks on the Bush twins by the Left were equally despicable.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:38 am
Indeed, they were.

However, note that you have tarred "the left" for the actions of a few - while people have sheeted home blame only to Limbaugh. Where I gather it belongs?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:39 am
Me three. I don't think that the relatives of public figures should be fodder for the cartoonists, unless the member of the family happens to be in politics him/herself.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:40 am
dlowan wrote:
Indeed, they were.

However, note that you have tarred "the left" for the actions of a few - while people have sheeted home blame only to Limbaugh. Where I gather it belongs?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Did not intend to blame all on the Left...but the source of the ridicule of the Bush twins came from Bush's political enemies on the Left.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:10 am
Racism is wrong, no matter who practices it. Liberals have no special "pass" in that respect so far as I'm concerned. Rice is a person I would oppose just as virulently were she of identical ethnicity to my owm, for I don't like the politics she represents.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:12 am
Well said edgar.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:33 am
How can you fail to notice the double-standard here? Condaleeza Rice and Colin Powell have been called "house n-----" and other abhorrent names that would normally raise a hell of a ruckus from political, Jackson, etc. Oh, but I guess it's okay if you use the N word for republican black leaders. So, I guess only the evil Republican Right has to conform to the 'policial correctness standard. Disagree with their politics all you want, but let's at least hold commentators to the same standards, regardless of whether they are skewering a Republican or a Democrat.

[quote]The comment in question was delivered last week ago during a 100th birthday party for the retiring Thurmond -- a party that often resembled a roast of the South Carolina Republican, who later in his career rejected segregation and supported civil rights.

Lott noted that in Thurmond's 1948 presidential campaign, whose centerpiece was opposition to integration, Mississippi was one of four states Thurmond carried.

"We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either," Lott said[/quote]

Quote:
Here's a quote from Senior Democrat Senator Robert Byrd, of West Virginia, in March of 2001:

"My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that," the senator recalled. "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time - I'm going to use that word."

Quote:

I don't recall any outrage over any of those quotes from Dems. Could it possibly be because of their party affiliation? Racism is abhorrent and should be treated as such regardless party affiliation.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:36 am
I will have to admit that i have found some of these cartoons of rice to be racist. I don't approve of them and I think we should speak out about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:38 am
Who failed to notice?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:33 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I question including the ad for Acme School of drawing. How is that germane to anything but stirring racist animosity toward liberals, despite the fact it may well be an ad dreamt up by the KKK or even Rush himself?

That seems to be where Pat Oliphant and Dufesbury went to school.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:37 am
farmerman wrote:
it is the business of political cartoonists. If Rush has a problem, (after all he epitomizes fairness in radio), then we should look into doing more.
Condi Rice has been a toadie of this administration. She has gone on tv aand lied openly to spin a story or obfuscate an issue.

The only people I've seen doing that recently are democrats and a certain number of newsmedia people who behave as if they were being paid by the DNC.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:44 am
I'm undecided on the others, but the aluminum tubes one is definitely racist -- maybe the brown sugar one too. Just wanted to put my two cents in there.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:10 am
A political cartoonist is supposed to make us uncomfortable. Thats their job.The Al tubes makes the point using a GWTW reference. I find it somewhat courageous to use a close to the edge depiction . Its no differentt than when they show Ahnold with jodfers and an SS look. Or the one with Rev Jackson dealing a 3 card Montie. The editors decide whether the carttoonist is published, and if we get too hung up on the percieved racism (which iisnt there iMHO) we miss the point that Condie Rice is an administration apologist extremis. We need to be reminded daily that she will always echo all the crap that Cheneybush spews.Her predecessor, Powell had the longest resignatiion period in history and he will be remembered as "the courageous sec of State who couldnt take the mendacity any more"

gunga-you have to be kidding. the RNC has about 10 unpaid shills including Rush who make all the racist and speech impediment mannerisms about anybody whos not "of the mind" . Dont even go there, its disengenuous
You are trying to find racism because you want to , not because its real.Really you just want to take the opportunity spout some moral outrage-go for it.
I believe that Its gotta be an official RNC-state radio position of the day if Melonhead cameup with it. Ya ever wonder why the righties dont have any creative thoughts that arent spoon fed them by their annointed radio hosts. All of them, folks of fine moral character.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:14 am
I agree a lot with you farmerman on Rice's yes, sir qualities, however, yesterday I ran across a rice cartoon with an Auntja Moma (forgot how to spell that syrup label) bottle with rice on it and that is about as racist as it gets.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:31 am
hmmm, you could be right, I havent seen it.
That would be Aunt Yomama.

I used to do political cartoons for a small series of town papers. I drew the mayor of this one town as Boss Hogg and the publisher was his best friend, so Ii got fired (after the cartoon was published). The publisher read everything that was written and drawn. He was anal , so my message needed saying but I was an example of usin a stereotype and that would not be tolerated. Im so not impressed with this issue.
What would we go after Condi about ? You have to remember that the visual is at best a 5 second opportunity to make a point. We ere given cartooning in Art school and we studied some of the old NAst cartoons where the cartoon was so busy that it was almost a story in itself. Our style today is definately made for quick digestion.
I saw one right after election day. It had Bush staring at Cheney and rove with that vapid look hes patented .The line was
"NOW WHAT?".
Simple and elegant
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:22 am
Larry434 wrote:

Me too.

And the attacks on the Bush twins by the Left were equally despicable.

I have never heard any public figure call the Bush twins anything insulting, evil or mean-spirited, never. So don't try to spin this.

Chelsea was a 12 year old child when that monster said that.
0 Replies