If Trump's Climate Change Withdrawal Pushes UK to Labour, can the UK un-Brexit?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
According to the BBC, the PM has no intention of resigning but will work to form a government based on being largest party in seats and votes.

And Gerry Adams confirmed that they would not take their seats even to bolster a Labour minority administration.

We'll have to wait ...
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The Brexist vote was a referendum and the majority of UK voters chose to leave.

If, by "UK voters", you meant "those who voted", then, yes, a very narrow majority voted to leave - 51.9% to 48.11%. Many countries have a requirement for an convincing "supermajority", e.g. 55%, 75% etc for referenda on issues that have deep and longlasting significance, e.g. abolishing a monarchy, amending a constitution, partition of a state, etc. However, that 51.9% that voted for Leave was in fact about one-third of the electorate (those registered to vote), so you could argue that 66% either voted Remain or didn't vote. That's twice as many. Not the totally resounding result for Leave that some people claim.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No they don't, Sinn Fein have won 7 seats. Sinn Fein never take up their seats because they won't swear an oath of loyalty to the Queen. That means we're not talking 650 mps but 643, so a government only needs 322 mps.
centrox

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:43 am
@Rudolph Hucker,
Rudolph Hucker wrote:
Landslide for the Tories I forecast ...

105 tory majority.

What was that again, "Rudolph"? I think, on this showing, you'd better get back to pulling Santa's sleigh. Political forecasting isn't your thing, clearly.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:45 am
@centrox,
The sort of nonsense that only a foreigner can come up with.

Corbyn's going nowhere. It's good to be wrong. Some more music.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 01:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That means we're not talking 650 mps but 643, so a government only needs 322 mps.
I'm not really sure about tht, but it might well be correct.

The Conservatives have now made it to 315 seats - one short of the initial exit poll projection.
They are now projected to secure 319 seats, seven (or three) short of a majority.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 01:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Martin Schulz, the leader of Germany’s Social Democrats who are hoping to oust their coalition partner, Angela Merkel's CDU, at elections in September, has tweeted saying he has called Jeremy Corbyn and they have arranged to meet in the near future - getting some advice on how to win, I suppose. Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 02:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Two more tweets, one by the president of the EU-Commission, the other by the former Labour foreign secretary (and nearly former Labour leader):
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/huKEXix.jpg

Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/tGJytsm.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 03:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Things are close in Kensington, the tired tellers have been told there this morning to go home for a rest and come back later.

But now all other results are in:
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/zjPYm7h.jpg

(Image by The Guardian)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 03:23 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB3eQ_cUwAEstBU.jpg:large

Quote:
Grayson Perry‏ @Alan_Measles 38m38 minutes ago
At the palace hoping to get in first and form a govt while the others are dithering pic.twitter.com/bC5cLnzAoV
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 03:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Theresa May will visit Buckingham Palace at 12:30 BST to seek permission from the Queen to form the new government.
revelette1

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I suppose I would have to study up on the British system, I am confused as all get out. May is still prime minister but somehow lost parliament? I was under the impression it was an election for Prime Minister, but I see from this article, it was not.

UK election shows potential hung parliament (NBC News)

lmur

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:29 am
@revelette1,
The UK Parliament (House of Commons) consists of 650 seats. A single party requires 326 to have an overall majority and form a single-party government.

The Conservatives had 331 'seats' (MP's) in the last Parliament but this is now reduced to 319 after yesterday's election. Another political party -the DUP- has agreed to support the Conservatives in forming a new government. The DUP's 10 seats added to the Conservatives 319 are enough to form a 'working majority' which means May can continue as PM.
revelette1

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:38 am
@lmur,
Thank you for explaining it to me simple enough to be understood by me.

So, May didn't need to send any voters to parliament but she gambled because she wanted to bolster her numbers ahead of the coming Brexit negotiations? Does this mean, she is weakened for the negotiations? What could be the potential fall out from that?
centrox

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:45 am
@lmur,
lmur wrote:
The DUP's 10 seats added to the Conservatives 319 are enough to form a 'working majority' which means May can continue as PM.

If any of either party's MPs die, resign, go to jail, etc, that working majority (of three) will shrink.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 08:11 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
If any of either party's MPs die, resign, go to jail, etc, that working majority (of three) will shrink.
Or has a different opinion to that of the majority (which is quite possible due to the various 'fractions' within the Conservatives and the, well, very conservative DUP.
lmur

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 08:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

centrox wrote:
Or has a different opinion to that of the majority (which is quite possible due to the various 'fractions' within the Conservatives and the, well, very conservative DUP.

Indeed. There go May's hopes for a progressive social agenda!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 08:24 am
@Rudolph Hucker,
Rudolph Hucker wrote:
I have already stated that, for reasons of the Corbyn team being not what the country want at this time, to put it mildly, the Tories will sweep the board and end up with a majority of 105.

Corbyn has increased Labour's share of the vote more than any other leader in any other election since Attlee in 1945:
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/DpzzKTs.jpg
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 08:24 am
The Callaghan Labour government of the 1970s used to bring sick MPs from their hospital beds to vote in crucial divisions, it was that close.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 08:32 am
@centrox,
Copied from tweets by the Guardian's Brexit editor, Dan Roberts:

"Dan Roberts on twitter" wrote:
Some thoughts on what happens when Theresa May’s “stable” new government has its first brush with reality at the Brexit talks in 10 days:
1) May will be told in no uncertain terms that there is nothing to take home on trade until she admits she lied about the size of the bill
2) May will be forced to tell her new DUP partners that both sides of Ireland’s border have to be flexible if a hard border is to be avoided
3) May will be forced to admit that it is economically and politically absurd to maintain that Britain can simply walk away with nothing
4) May will be forced to admit that Jeremy Corbyn had a point when he called for a more consensual approach to negotiations
5) May will be forced to confront the facile myth that unfettered access to European markets can be achieved at no cost to Britain
6) May will have to take these uncomfortable truths back home and sell them to a parliament where she does not command a majority

0 Replies