If Trump's Climate Change Withdrawal Pushes UK to Labour, can the UK un-Brexit?

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:27 pm
@lmur,
I wish!!
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:38 pm
@izzythepush,
I've known some people who got political even if that wasn't their intent - engage in helping their neighborhoods, and two of those rose to US state offices.

Because I've known those people, I am not completely in despair.

This whole hate politicians thing may keep good people out of joining in, even to community meetings.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:27 pm
Too early to tell, but early results suggest exit poll may be too pro Labour, but everybody seems to be saying that it's a bad result for May even if she does retain a majority.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Have any early returns been reported?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
engage in helping their neighborhoods, and two of those rose to US state offices.

Because I've known those people, I am not completely in despair.

I'll bet they were weeded out right quick.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 07:27 pm
Labour's gains are growing according to the Guardian. If it holds true it proves one thing: people are choosing radicalism today on both the left and the right.

Much to the chagrin of Clinton, Frum, Blair, etc.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 09:02 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

David Frum? why do you think he won't be pleased if Labour has gains in the UK?
Kolyo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 09:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Kolyo wrote:

David Frum? why do you think he won't be pleased if Labour has gains in the UK?

Frum won't be pleased, and I know he won't be pleased, because I follow him on Twitter. He's not anti-Labour (although he is a Tory, in Canada), but he's very anti-Corbyn. He and most of the #NeverTrump conservatives I follow on Twitter view Corbyn as Britain's answer to Trump, albeit on the opposite end of the traditional left-right spectrum. Like Trump, Corbyn is a populist with an angry mob behind him.

I personally find Corbyn's views nutty. I don't object to his domestic policies or his hope for a softer Brexit, but his foreign policy gives me the shakes.

It looks like May will lose her majority, which I like, because it will take away the popular mandate for a hard Brexit. But it also looks like Corbyn won't get a majority either. Thank god.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 09:56 pm
@Kolyo,
cool. not 100% my take on David (I'm also one of his twitter followers but I was a fan of his mom, not so much him) but it's all good

___

interesting to see Salmond and a few other 'names' lose their seats

looks like a bit of shaking up is going on in the UK
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:59 pm
A hung parliament is. confirmed.

The UK may struggle to persuade the EU to prolong/pause the Article 50 process. Which wouldn't be good at all. For the UK.
Blickers

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Why would scrapping Brexit be bad for the UK or EU? You think the EU losing the world's sixth largest economy is good for Europe?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting as well the party figures, which might indicate a look towards Brexit:
629 results in (out of 650),
Conservatives: 42% (up 5),
Labour: 40% (up 10),
Lib Dems: 7% (down 1),
SNP: 3% (down 2),
Ukip: 2% (down 11),
Greens: 2% (down 2).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:14 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Why would scrapping Brexit be bad for the UK or EU? You think the EU losing the world's sixth largest economy is good for Europe?
I meant that in my opinion the EU won't prolong/pause the Article 50 meetings. I didn't mean to say that would be a "scrapping" of Brexit - Brexit is going on, and will be finished in less than two years.

I totally agree with what the former Swedish foreign minister tweeted
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/IUTdPhQ.jpg
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:36 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
#NeverTrump conservatives I follow on Twitter view Corbyn as Britain's answer to Trump, albeit on the opposite end of the traditional left-right spectrum. Like Trump, Corbyn is a populist with an angry mob behind him.

That is just plain nonsense. Anyhow, from a Guardian BTL comment:
Quote:
Now the young have seen what a cross on a paper can do let's hope they stay interested.
centrox

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A hung parliament is. confirmed.

You could see a "progressive alliance" of Labour, SNP, Lib Dems, Greens, etc. One can hope.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:48 pm
@centrox,
There's still some hope for such. I'm not surprised about the results by the SNP but more about those by the Liberal Dems. (They lost, in my opinion, because "they have no chance".)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 11:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
David Davis (the Brexit Secretary) conceded that the UK government may have lost the mandate mandate to exit the customs union and single market.

To what Farage tweeted
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/HCVaMu2.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Spectator's blog reports that May will give a speech at 10 amid reports she will resign
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

There's still some hope for such. I'm not surprised about the results by the SNP but more about those by the Liberal Dems. (They lost, in my opinion, because "they have no chance".)

The latest results show that Labour plus SNP plus Lib Dems could not command a majority. However if the Tories join with the DUP they could govern. I remember the Callaghan Labour government in the 70s where their lead was so small they had to bring MPs from hospital beds to vote in the House of Commons. MPs can die, get prosecuted, etc.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:28 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
However if the Tories join with the DUP they could govern.
As of now (645 seats out of 650) they still need two seats