The Ultimate Mass Murderer

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
I show up in L.A. for concerts at the Disney Hall, new shows at LACMA or Getty for some instances. That's my old stompin' grounds as I once lived in the Hollywood hills above Sunset. I've met too many conservatives and liberals who subscribe to those ideologies but have little idea of the content of these ideals. They can rant on and on about politics and I don't believe they know anything about what they are expounding. DDT, BTW, is not the only insecticide which has been banned. I try to use mostly a soap solution for my garden. I suggest others get some DDT and take some solid snorts.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:17 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I suggest others get some DDT and take some solid snorts.

Like I say there were guys who fell into vats of it in the 50s who're still walking around.

My buddy who studied with Heinz Meng tells me they were feeding birds on what was almost a 50/50 mixture of food and DDT and they were thriving on it. Moreover, careful studies of raptor eggshells at the time DDT was banned showed they were INCREASING in thickness at that time. The point at which raptors became endangered was basically a point at which raptor hunting had raplaced cow-tipping as the national redneck sport.

Basically, I'd rather take my chances snorting DDT than whatever the dems were snorting when they nominated John F. Kerry to run for president.
0 Replies

carbuncle

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:22 pm
Right on,snake! I mean,what the hell were they thinking?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:26 pm
Has anyone but me googled this Heinz Meng that gungasnake keeps alluding to? I just did.

Well, he does (or did exist) and he had something to do with falconing. I couldn't find any evidence, though, that he ever claimed that guzzling or bathing in DDT is beneficial...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:36 pm
The conjecture from dubious sources on this thread are laughable.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:44 pm
Meng was the guy who brought peregrines back from the brink in America and was the nations foremost expert on raptors.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:32 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
That's my old stompin' grounds as I once lived in the Hollywood hills above Sunset.

that's a fun neighborhood. worked at a record store by the whiskey and had a place right behind barney's. a musician should not live that close to a rowdy bar!! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:33 pm
I suggest the only realistic way for gungasnake to prove any of this is to take a DDT bath himself. DDT isn't a systemic insecticide but I wouldn't recommend proving it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:37 pm
Just did an extensive residential lighting job last year for a concert pianist above the Hustler on Sunset and it turned out it was a house where a friend of mine live in the Sixties! I remember that record store but you could find me at Tower Classics most of the time. Scandia was my favorite restaurant.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Just did an extensive residential lighting job last year for a concert pianist above the Hustler on Sunset and it turned out it was a house where a friend of mine live in the Sixties!

well, that explains the "lightwizard" tag.:wink: that's the funny thing about the hollywood scene. if you hang around long enough, you're going to meet just about everybody, live just about every neighborhood, work for a couple of totally neurotic employers and learn to, at all costs, avoid eating anything at okie-dog. or power burger...

Lightwizard wrote:
I remember that record store but you could find me at Tower Classics most of the time. Scandia was my favorite restaurant.

yeah, tower classical rocks! (rocks? hmmm). they were hard to compete with. but i moved over to the strip after i left peaches on hollywood bl.
don't know if you've been on the strip lately, it's lost a lot of the old rock 'n roller vibe. (well, so has rock 'n roll for that matter...).

used to really like the old world cafe. good place to have a knosh and some drinks and watch the world go by. don't get down there much since the club scene changed. i tell the wife i don't mind livin' over here in g-dale, but sometimes the old insanity resurfaces and a night of loud bands that can't play and a couple of kamakazies sounds like fun.
Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:38 pm
Loved Old World Cafe, the Cock 'N Bull, Frascati's, Imperial Gardens, Via Veneto, Hamburger Hamlet, a jazz club that was briefly there which eventually became a restaurant and, of course, just for fun the bar at Dino's (because of "77 Sunset Strip," but there was no Kookie at the parking lot and that wasn't even the right address). The coffee house era is a lost time that seems to have returned but in the proliferation of chain coffee houses. My mouth is watering now at the thought of pastries from Greenblatts!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 01:00 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The coffee house era is a lost time that seems to have returned but in the proliferation of chain coffee houses.

yeah. there were a couple where you could play acoustic music in the mid to late '80s. the llhasa club and gunter's. but for the most part it's kind of tipped on out. but, i'm sure that once people get tired of the 4.50 for a cup o' joe scam, more of the little speakeasy type places will pop up.
hey! did you ever go to the old "zere-zero" club on cahuenga?

Lightwizard wrote:
My mouth is watering now at the thought of pastries from Greenblatts!

or cantor's on fairfax. they would actually break the rules and put a little cheese on your cornbeef sandwich! yeah!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:39 pm
Cantor's was our late night dining after a night of clubbing. Eat one of those giant corned beef sandwiches (yes, with the thin slice of cheese and sauerkraut) and there just was no hangover the next day! I was in Hollywood from 1958 through 1965 before moving to Dana Point near Laguna Beach. I rarely returned because all my friends (even executives) got wrapped up in the Hollywood drug culture. I bit too decadent for my taste -- it made old Hollywood seem like Prudence City.

We would use DDT -- to ward off unwanted guests at exclusive parties.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:05 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Eat one of those giant corned beef sandwiches (yes, with the thin slice of cheese and sauerkraut) and there just was no hangover the next day!

hahahahahahaha!!! yep! it is the miracle cure!

the hollywood scene did get a little intense after a while. without getting into the sordid details of the whole rock scene there in the '70s and '80s, i will have to admit that yes, i am a horrible person and that after i came back from a production gig in nyc, i moved to a different part of town and didn't get in touch with a lot of the old crowd.

it is decadent ( not always bad! Shocked ), but what bothered me more was that so many were/are so damn neurotic, AND NEEDY!!!

so, okay. now i'm old and boring... but my stuff doesn't go missing anymore... Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:22 pm
God is a mass murderer (wiped out an entire planet save one family and two of each animal).

The Rachel Carson accusation is drawing a long bow. She didn't ban DDT she advocated banning it. A whole bunch of bureacracy and democratically elected government saw it banned in the US (which doesn't have a malaria problem). To blame Carson for the governmental processes of other nations also smacks of over-simplification.

'For every complex problem there's a simple solution... that's wrong.' - Einstein (another mass murderer - his work led to the creation of nuclear weapons).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
It's just more Liberal baiting and God has just shown us that he is the master of the oceans.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:51 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
MerlinsGodson wrote:

G-Snake: What, exactly, are you trying to say and/or prove?

it's only my opinion, but what i believe gungasnake's core, and most likely, only, agenda is to denegrate, marginalize and, by his own words on the bush supporter thread, destroy the democratic party in america.

and if in doing so, can push the anne coulter doctrine of demonization of all who don't back her version of the christian right's (far, that is) claims of manifest destiny; "this world is yours, rape it, use it", farther down the field, so be it.

but like i said, that's only my opinion of what i believe he's trying to say, prove or accomplish. Rolling Eyes

Good man! You do have it, though gunga is just a stooge in the process.

Last week, someone linked to frontpage or townhall of the NY Sun and there was a big picture of Chomsky with headline "Linguistic Theories Debunked".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
That's outrageously funny -- the Sun is such a respectable source. I'm astonished they didn't show Chompsky with a third eye and claim he was from outer space here to conquer the Earth.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
Nice to see you, LW. It was funny imagining some Sun or Townhall scribe, his desk piled high with linguistics text books and his heart near aburst with the driving quest for ever more knowledge.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
I doubt he had the slightest understanding of what he was trying to read. The current state of politics only reveals that anti-knowledge is somehow the rule.
0 Replies