0
   

The Ultimate Mass Murderer

 
 
cavfancier
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:49 am
<poetic licence nimh>
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:05 am
"Nice one. Nijntje ex machina"

Please tell! What does that mean?
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:14 am
G-Snake,

If all it took to support an argument were to find a book about it, then I could prove that the Earth is flat. You're weakening your argument, not strengthening it.

Evidence G-Snake, not smoke and mirrors.
0 Replies
 
cavfancier
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
dlowan wrote:
"Nice one. Nijntje ex machina"

Please tell! What does that mean?


An affectionate Dutch term for bunny, and a famous rabbit cartoon character in Holland as well. So, loosely translated, "famous bunny out of the machine", as in "deus ex machina", that great literary device that generally puts an end to misery by a godlike power. :wink:
0 Replies
 
cavfancier
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
Meanwhile, I have more important things to do, like encouraging members to choose a new name for you, here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39594&highlight=
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:29 am
Nijntje in fact is the symbol of New York now, or something, or so I heard! Just they call him (her? it?) differently, of course ... forget the name ...

Miffy, thats it ...

Here we are...

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/bimgdata/FC1592261868.JPG
0 Replies
 
cavfancier
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:30 am
Miffy! Oh my, I grew up on those books. Haven't read them recently though.
0 Replies
 
cavfancier
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:31 am
I'm sorry to hear about the chainsaw incident.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:38 am
http://www.malaria.org/DDT_open.html


http://www.malaria.org/images/head_3.jpg

OPEN LETTER TO DDT TREATY NEGOTIATORS

Quote:

We are a group of scientists and doctors who are writing you on account of your participation in the ongoing treaty negotiations of the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) aimed at eliminating Persistent Organic Pollutants, or POPs.

You are no doubt aware that one of substances the POPs Treaty seeks to ban from future use is DDT, and that such a ban is supported by most wealthy Western countries and several environmental NGOs. However, you may not be aware that DDT is also a critical tool in the fight against malaria, which remains a terrible scourge of the developing world. ....
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:08 am
gungasnake wrote:
http://www.malaria.org/DDT_open.html


http://www.malaria.org/images/head_3.jpg

OPEN LETTER TO DDT TREATY NEGOTIATORS

Quote:

We are a group of scientists and doctors who are writing you on account of your participation in the ongoing treaty negotiations of the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) aimed at eliminating Persistent Organic Pollutants, or POPs.

You are no doubt aware that one of substances the POPs Treaty seeks to ban from future use is DDT, and that such a ban is supported by most wealthy Western countries and several environmental NGOs. However, you may not be aware that DDT is also a critical tool in the fight against malaria, which remains a terrible scourge of the developing world. ....


G-Snake, it seems to me you are arguing in circles. Hasn't it already been pointed out that malaria-ridden countries still have the option to use DDT?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question here.

G-Snake: What, exactly, are you trying to say and/or prove?

1. Malaria is a terrible burden on afflicted countries? I think we can say that most of us will agree with that.
2. The US is evil for opposing the use of DDT? I would have to say that you have not convinced me. The supporting evidence is not compelling.
3. DDT is not harmful? Again, I have to say that you have not convinced me.
4. DDT is the most effective method of preventing the transmission of malaria? You have not convinced me. You have to consider the risks of using a pesticide right along with the benefits of using one.
5. The cost/benefit of using DDT should be carefully considered (and constantly re-evaluated) regarding using it to combat malaria? I can agree with that one. However, I would have to say that is up to the individual countries that want to use the stuff.
6. Some other argument that I have not presented here? Please be specific.
0 Replies
 
Steppenwolf
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
MerlinsGodson wrote:

G-Snake, it seems to me you are arguing in circles. Hasn't it already been pointed out that malaria-ridden countries still have the option to use DDT?


Many, many times.
0 Replies
 
primergray
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:08 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question here.

G-Snake: What, exactly, are you trying to say and/or prove?

1. Malaria is a terrible burden on afflicted countries? I think we can say that most of us will agree with that.
2. The US is evil for opposing the use of DDT? I would have to say that you have not convinced me. The supporting evidence is not compelling.
3. DDT is not harmful? Again, I have to say that you have not convinced me.
4. DDT is the most effective method of preventing the transmission of malaria? You have not convinced me. You have to consider the risks of using a pesticide right along with the benefits of using one.
5. The cost/benefit of using DDT should be carefully considered (and constantly re-evaluated) regarding using it to combat malaria? I can agree with that one. However, I would have to say that is up to the individual countries that want to use the stuff.
6. Some other argument that I have not presented here? Please be specific.



Or is Gungasnake trying to show that the famed Rachel Carson is not to be revered, that she has blood on her hands.

But I wonder, if you take the causal chain far enough, how many of us have some culpability in the loss of human life? I can count at least 1 death which I might have prevented, had I taken a different course of action.

How 'bout you, Gungasnake, any blood on your hands?
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:53 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:


G-Snake: What, exactly, are you trying to say and/or prove?


it's only my opinion, but what i believe gungasnake's core, and most likely, only, agenda is to denegrate, marginalize and, by his own words on the bush supporter thread, destroy the democratic party in america.

and if in doing so, can push the anne coulter doctrine of demonization of all who don't back her version of the christian right's (far, that is) claims of manifest destiny; "this world is yours, rape it, use it", farther down the field, so be it.

but like i said, that's only my opinion of what i believe he's trying to say, prove or accomplish. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
carbuncle
 
  1  
Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:26 pm
Hmmmm....As far as the murder thing goes,if I assume that everything you stated is in fact true,it still does not put him up there in the mass murderer catagory. I know the definition of murder.I stood trial for it...twice! It is an act with the priority result being 1 or more deaths.An act that does not have the priority intention of death is called manslaughter. If absolutely everything you said on page 1 is true,it would make him guilty of nothing more than the worlds single worst decision ever. I dont believe that such an act was intentional ,more likely just severely misinformed. A really interesting read though!!!
0 Replies
 
Magus
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:09 am
"with malice aforethought" does NOT apply to Rachel Carson.
It DOES apply to GUNgaSNAKE... and many of those in the Party of Aggression he espouses; yeah, we're going to the MiddleEast to "bring them democracy", even if we have to kill every last one of the middle-easterners to do so.

I went and bought gas for the car today... anyone who though that our invasion of Iraq would result in cheap gas and oil was seriously "misinformed"...
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:26 am
The barbarians being no longer at the gate are now chewing away at rationality and intellect. Gungasnake may be spit out at any moment.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:47 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The barbarians being no longer at the gate are now chewing away at rationality and intellect. Gungasnake may be spit out at any moment.


Laughing

lw, dude... how'z life with the less than ultra-conservative types down behind the orange curtain these days?? :wink:
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 02:16 pm
They get a lot of back-talk in Laguna Beach and don't believe everything you hear about the OC -- the ultra-conservatives in the Midwest and the South would be where ideology becomes equated with ignorance.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:56 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:


G-Snake, it seems to me you are arguing in circles. Hasn't it already been pointed out that malaria-ridden countries still have the option to use DDT?


Some do. Apparently it's not the simplest thing in the world to manufacture or some of the poor countries would be making it. Mexico still produces it for instance (so I've heard at least) but, then, Mexico doesn't go around the world trying to help poor nations the way we do. When we stop providing a certain kind of help, it's not a safe bet that Mexico is going to step into the void and take up the slack.

And then again there's the problem of simple brain-washing. People in other countries don't have the degree of immunity to liberal bullshit which Americans do. A lot of them apparently heard and read all the liberal bullshit about DDT and apparently, still believe it so that even when a country like South Africa offers help with DDT, it isn't always accepted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1677073.stm

Quote:

ts corridors are crowded with mothers who nurse crying infants, hot and weak with fever from malaria, as they wait for treatment.

Thankless task

The Health Ministry official who has the thankless job of leading Mozambique's day-to-day struggle against malaria is Dr Samuel Mabunda, and he admits that it seems an impossible mission.

"We do not have the money, the manpower or the health facilities to protect people as we would like to do," he says.

Mozambican child treated for malaria, BBC
Many children are killed by the disease
Perhaps surprisingly then, DDT is not used in Mozambique and the authorities say they do not want to use it.

Dr Avertino Barreto is Chief of Infectious Disease Control, and he points out that circumstances in a developing country like his would make DDT a big risk. Take the recent disastrous floods for a start, he says.

"You might only use DDT for house spraying, but flood waters could wash it everywhere," he says.

Mosquitoes are no respecters of borders though and because of this, Dr Barreto says, South Africa has been pushing its neighbour hard to change its policy.

"But our two countries are very different. If you use something potentially hazardous like DDT, you have to control this carefully. Mozambique does not have the infrastructure or the organisation to do this."

Mozambique's health ministry resents what it calls South Africa's interference and maintains it should be allowed to find its own ways to deal with malaria prevention.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 01:26 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
They get a lot of back-talk in Laguna Beach and don't believe everything you hear about the OC -- the ultra-conservatives in the Midwest and the South would be where ideology becomes equated with ignorance.


naw, i know there's a lotta good folks down there. had some close friends in (gulp) yorba linda. like myself they were transplanted from kentucky. there's nothing wrong with being conservative. or liberal, for that matter. but you make a great point. when either one of those ideologies forgoes intelligence or logic or whatever, it's a buzz kill.

ya ever get up here to l.a.?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 09/28/2022 at 07:56:03