Quote:
Wow, Smog!!! Cool!

You don't hear that very often....

j/k

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:14 pm
If you will read one of my previous points on this very thread McGentrix...you will see me state that the Uncle Tom inference was uncalled for...I don't judge by race...but if it gives you a thrill to find an excuse to use that word....well enjoy my friend..... but you might want to limit your use of it to around the pickle barrel up there in the Adirondacks.

I'm going to now pretend this post didn't happen...don't want the thread to be shut down.......it was a pretty lively debate up until now....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:22 pm
Mr. Powell is definitely some one I respected. He just did not seem the politician type and I think that the political side of things wore him out. Unfortunately for us. Sozobe I think he is too much a gentleman and like you said has too much loyalty that he would say anything negative about the current administration.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:38 pm
I just read the following news reportÂ…

"I assure you, I'll be working hard until the very, very end," Powell told reporters at the State Department, adding that he and President Bush came to a "mutual agreement" that it was time for him to resign.
Administration officials said that Bush will likely name national security adviser Condoleezza Rice to replace him.

Powell has been widely viewed as the moderate in an administration dominated by hawks. But like the soldier he was for more than 30 years, Powell always fell in line once President Bush made up his mind.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:39 pm
Linkat wrote:
Administration officials said that Bush will likely name national security adviser Condoleezza Rice to replace him.

Uh-oh...
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:01 pm
Uh oh is right.

I think I'm gonna go vomit.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:13 pm
I already have. Twice.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:15 pm
Condoleezza Rice! what and give up her position as Sec of Defense? no way. She's a fighter not a diplomat.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
He is still going to West Bank as planned which I find odd. He is not going to have any political clout behind him when he goes so I wonder why he is going.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/mideast_powell_dc

WEST BANK VISIT?

Quote:
Powell is still expected to attend a conference on the aftermath of the Iraq (news - web sites) war in Egypt next week and may visit the West Bank afterwards, U.S. officials said.

He has not been in the Palestinian territories and Israel since visits in 2003 to promote a U.S.-backed peace "road map" that has been stalled by violence and recrimination.

He was widely believed to have differed with President Bush over the Palestinian uprising that erupted in September 2000 after talks on statehood in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip (news - web sites) became deadlocked.

He is not the only to resign today. Three others have too. Their pictures and names are at the following link.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/041115/ids_photos_wl/r4041405888.jpg&e=2&ncid=708
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:40 pm
revel wrote:
He is still going to West Bank as planned which I find odd. He is not going to have any political clout behind him when he goes so I wonder why he is going.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/mideast_powell_dc

WEST BANK VISIT?

Quote:
Powell is still expected to attend a conference on the aftermath of the Iraq (news - web sites) war in Egypt next week and may visit the West Bank afterwards, U.S. officials said.

He has not been in the Palestinian territories and Israel since visits in 2003 to promote a U.S.-backed peace "road map" that has been stalled by violence and recrimination.

He was widely believed to have differed with President Bush over the Palestinian uprising that erupted in September 2000 after talks on statehood in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip (news - web sites) became deadlocked.

He is not the only to resign today. Three others have too. Their pictures and names are at the following link.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/041115/ids_photos_wl/r4041405888.jpg&e=2&ncid=708

He will have all the clout he needs because like his successor will be he is merely a rubber stamp for bushco.....that is the number one qualificatioin for being in the club.......
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:51 pm
Colin Powell may be a worse secretary of state than some ideal person one might dream up.

THIS HAS MEANING????!!!!! Gawd help us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:54 pm
Yes.

Plenty of meaning. (I agree wholeheartedly with that sentence and that post.)

Meanwhile, how fluent are you in German? (That poster's first language...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Whipping post of the left??!!?

He was the only member of the admin that any of us liked!

Cycloptichorn

Well , maybe YOU liked him, but remember Jessee Jackson calling him basiclly an Uncle Tom along with Harry Belefonte? Or How about the DNC calling Powell UN speech the lowpoint of his career?

Lol - when something IS a lowpoint, that is what you call it! Poor man musta felt like the organ grinder's monkey after presenting that passel of already discredited bumpf.

Damn - a more moderate voice gone from that administration. I hope the loss of voices like that (however disregarded by the inner circle) does not mean a total loss of integrity, and anchor to some reality.

I understand the difficulties of being in an administration, and the realities of politics, and the need to stick publicly to cabinet and presidential decisions. But it musta been very hard.

Does anyone think he may be distancing himself - as well as plain tired of it - and might go for president himself next time, or a bit later?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
no.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
no.....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:26 pm
I say good luck Powell after his already long and distinguished service to the people of the US. I wish him and his family good luck.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:55 pm
deb said
Quote:
Does anyone think he may be distancing himself - as well as plain tired of it - and might go for president himself next time, or a bit later?

Distancing himself, and tired of it...likely yes on both. That's been the scuttlebut in the media since the Iraq war was in planning, and it is a conclusion in tune with the impressions one gets from Woodward's book.

He could have been a formidable candidate for the Republicans. When he considered the candidacy earlier, I really hoped he would try, if for no other reason than to have an african-american there.

Now, he stands NO chance of gaining the Republican candidacy on his pro-choice stance alone (for the foreseeable future, no republican nominee will be pro-choice). Further, the RNC would fight tooth and nail to keep him away from the position because of his independence of mind.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:12 pm
bookmark
0 Replies