Powell,as expected,resigns- Rice successor

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:53 am
Yeah, get with the program, Bear. Jeez...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:56 am
I know what you're getting at, but isn't there room for Bush is a lousy president AND Powell is a basically good guy who tried and then eventually gave up?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:03 am
Maybe I have turned too harsh, but I think Powell if really had these qualities that some of us seem to see in him, he should have spoken up rather than letting all that go on without saying a word about it. It's like staying around and watching a rape take place with just a disaproving look on your face rather than a gleeful one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
A) he has said a word about it, and saying any words at all is a big deal in this administration, B) if saying a word about it means he would be grabbed by the rapists, frog-marched out, and the door locked behind him, it can be more ethical for him to what's necessary to stick around and do what he can to stop the rape.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:08 am
sozobe wrote:
I know what you're getting at, but isn't there room for Bush is a lousy president AND Powell is a basically good guy who tried and then eventually gave up?

no a suck up is a suck up....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:10 am
And sucking up can sometimes be a valid technique to try to retain some power to mitigate damage you see happening -- and then when you recognize the mitigation ain't working, get out of there.

Do you think the new guy will be better or worse than Powell?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
Of course, the mere thought that this man has served most of his life in some context, is approaching retirement age, has successfully concluded an outstanding career, is pressured by family (especially his wife - no secret, she's weary of all his travel commitments and wants to spend time with him) is lost on those who presume to be mindreaders.

No surprise, considering the paranoia of the usual suspects Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:24 am
JustWonders wrote:
Of course, the mere thought that this man has served most of his life in some context, is approaching retirement age, has successfully concluded an outstanding career, is pressured by family (especially his wife - no secret, she's weary of all his travel commitments and wants to spend time with him) is lost on those who presume to be mindreaders.

No surprise, considering the paranoia of the usual suspects Smile

JW you would defend him if was 22, in perfect helath, single, and at the beginning of his service career so it's hard to take your point seriously.....
and mind readers? No one is reading anyones mind here.....the guy carried water for bushco long after he made it obvious he didn't agree with him....that's a suck up...end of story......

I think his replacement, as all the second term replacements will be more extreme and more dedicated to the New Theocracy party's steady march towards a one party government...by hook or crook....from now on it will be the same person with different faces from time to time...that's it....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:25 am
I'm glad Powell resigned. I do not want to see that whiney Condi Rice as secretary of state. I hate the way she answers what she wants and ignores the questions of reporters and Congresspeople.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
BPB - no doubt you're right in your assessment of my thinking on the subject of Powell. I happen to admire him and like him and I'll miss him. I think, given his history of service, he will continue to serve in some capacity, so hopefully we'll still have glimpses of him.

Why not let history be the final word on this outstanding man's career? It's what I plan to do Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
JustWonders wrote:
BPB - no doubt you're right in your assessment of my thinking on the subject of Powell. I happen to admire him and like him and I'll miss him. I think, given his history of service, he will continue to serve in some capacity, so hopefully we'll still have glimpses of him.

Why not let history be the final word on this outstanding man's career? It's what I plan to do Smile

No you don't, you've made up your mind as have I.......
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:40 am
There you go...reading minds again Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
JW,

Putting a smiley in every post does nothing to improve your credibility, yaknow, and gets real annoying after a while, besides the fact that it lessens the impact after a while.

Not that I think you will stop or anything (your kind doesn't really listen to constructive criticism very well, yaknow?) but I thought I'd let ya know.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
Cheer up, Cyclo Smile Your party will be back in power...in say, 50 years or so Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:49 am
and btw we're not talking about any aspects of Powells service career except his service under (no pun intended) bush here....no matter how distinguished the rest of his career may have been....and I will concede that point, he whored out and was bushs' water boy in his capacity over the last four years.....we have all had our proud and not so proud moments in our lives and Powell is no exception.....

and again with the mind reading thing...okay to be technical....I think anyone here friend or foe, liberal or conservative, young or old, black or white, male or female, straight or gay, rich or...okay you get the idea....could, based on the way you gush over Powell and everything else bush related....make a pretty damned educated guess on how you have and will judge Powell......if we were in Vegas I think everyone would lay their chips on Powell=Hero line where you are concerned......having said that you're young and I can't discount the possibility that you may eventually wise up...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
I'd be amazed if he isn't done like dinner.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
revel wrote:
Maybe I have turned too harsh, but I think Powell if really had these qualities that some of us seem to see in him, he should have spoken up rather than letting all that go on without saying a word about it. It's like staying around and watching a rape take place with just a disaproving look on your face rather than a gleeful one.

He did speak up. For example, the State Department's has always taken a clear stand that the procedures at Guantanamo Bay are illegal under the Geneva Convention, and it has produced several position papers to defend that stand. (I will be happy to Google around and find these papers if you don't believe me.) But in this matter as in others, the State Department had been ineffective because a) Powell was personally isolated within the administration, and b) Sanity is much harder to report on than insanity, so the media industry invested a lot of effort in attacking or defending Rumsfeld's insanity, while making almost no effort to discuss Powell's sanity.

Colin Powell may be a worse secretary of state than some ideal person one might dream up. But given the environment he was in, he probably did as good a job as the rest of the Bush administration would let him.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:01 pm
BPB ... the thing is no one cares what I think on Powell's achievements or lack thereof, nor should they because it's not important. That's my point. We can all express our views, but in the end history will judge this man. I'm hoping it will be in a favorable light, others hope differently.

I understand why you think he "sold out" or sucked up or whatever. I watched him at those hearings, I've watched him speak every chance I get, and I see something you don't. No surprise since we are so opposite in our beliefs.

I just think that saying, "well maybe he'll write a book, but even if he did he'd be lying" is condemning him a bit prematurely.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:03 pm
Whew.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I watched him at those hearings

Neat little sidenote:

I was sitting in the audience a few rows behind Powell at the 9/11 Commission hearings. You could see various bits of me on the tape recording. I'm part of history!
0 Replies