Powell,as expected,resigns- Rice successor

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:41 am
Breaking News ( CNN, BBC)
U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation, a senior administration official said.

Nor next week he tried to visit West Bank. That will be now not happen.

So final round , who becomes the new Secretary of State? In all probability Condoleezza Rice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,813 • Replies: 123
No top replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:46 am
Re: Powell,as expected,resigns
Thok wrote:
Breaking News ( CNN, BBC)
U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation, a senior administration official said.

Nor next week he tried to visit West Bank. That will be now not happen.

So final round , who becomes the new Secretary of State?

I expect Bush to appoint another great American patriot, as is Powell.

And thank you Mr. Powell for your dedicated decades of service to your country...and Godspeed in whatever role you choose to continue that service.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
Anyone else find it telling that the one man who had any sense is departing the admin?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:09 am
Yeah.

Oh, that's a less girly eye, Cycloptichorn. :-D

Not that there's anything wrong with long-lashed fellas -- quite partial to them, in fact.

Anyway, I've respected Colin a great deal, felt bad for him as he's gotten the short end of the stick over and over (having to do the sell job at the UN, being shut out of decision making by Rumsfeld and such), will be very curious about what he has to say once he's out, but suspect he'll be too loyal to do much but fade.

Too bad.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:13 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Anyone else find it telling that the one man who had any sense is departing the admin?

Cycloptichorn

kind of a left handed compliment isn't it? Sort of like being the whore with the least stinky cooch in the brothel ? He hauled water and whored out for bush just like the rest.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:14 am
You should see my lashes in real life Soz.

Been making my girlfriends jealous for years.

:wink:

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:15 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It is not at all surprising to me that after decades of dedicated public service that Powell has decided it is time to realx and enjoy life out of the pressure cooker of the WH for his latter years...and make tons of dollars on his superb capabilities and good name.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:16 am
His not-so-private dissatisfaction with the administration is going to go undiscussed, eh?

They really left his ass hanging in the wind with the whole UN speech thing. Embarassing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
His not-so-private dissatisfaction with the administration is going to go undiscussed, eh?

They really left his ass hanging in the wind with the whole UN speech thing. Embarassing.

Cycloptichorn

Powell is a pro and a patriot. Taking one for the boss is customary and regular among such stalwarts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:20 am
So you agree he took one for the boss? That's cool.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
It doesn't matter who replaces any of these cabinet members...they will be people more idealogically inclined to rubber stamp the bushco agenda...more zealous and with one goal and one goal only...to transform the United State from the country we grew up in to the new country that bushco envisions....we should go ahead and change the name of the country now........
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:23 am
sozobe wrote:
So you agree he took one for the boss? That's cool.

Of course he did. And defended his opinion.
0 Replies

woiyo

I am not surprised by General Powels decision. Apparently, he has had enough of being the "whipping" post of the left who used every chance they had to demean the valuable service this man gave to his country.

A great, great Amercian will be missed. A true statesman and role model.

Godspeed General!
0 Replies

Diane

But his distaste was apparent many times. I too feel that he was the one who had to take to roughest shots, but he did sell out and now he appears to have become cynical--I hope he hasn't also become totally corrupted by that bunch he's been working with. I had the utmost respect for him before this administration and even hoped he would run for president.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:24 am
Whipping post of the left??!!?

He was the only member of the admin that any of us liked!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:24 am
Heh!! :-D
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
Diane wrote:
But his distaste was apparent many times. I too feel that he was the one who had to take to roughest shots, but he did sell out and now he appears to have become cynical--I hope he hasn't also become totally corrupted by that bunch he's been working with. I had the utmost respect for him before this administration and even hoped he would run for president.

I did too Diane...although I never thought of him running for president.....but he was infected, as many in this country by the living virus known as bushco.....
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
I wonder why he announced that he was going to West Bank and then right after he resigns? Sort of like taking sleeping pills right before you kill yourself isn't it?

I agree that he did sell out in order to be a good soldier.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:26 am
I miss the lashes too.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:28 am
revel wrote:
I wonder why he announced that he was going to West Bank and then right after he resigns? Sort of like taking sleeping pills right before you kill yourself isn't it?

I agree that he did sell out in order to be a good soldier.

that's what soldiers are trained for.....unthinking unquestioning loyalty to the boss....self esteem, moral values, conscience, reflection be damned....
0 Replies