Powell,as expected,resigns- Rice successor

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:29 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Whipping post of the left??!!?

He was the only member of the admin that any of us liked!

Cycloptichorn

Well , maybe YOU liked him, but remember Jessee Jackson calling him basiclly an Uncle Tom along with Harry Belefonte? Or How about the DNC calling Powell UN speech the lowpoint of his career?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:30 am
BP, the big worry was that he was career military with that mindset--do anything you're told to do. Still. he had such honor and integrity until, as you say, bushco. I hate seeing good people corrupted.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:30 am
I think he actually tried, BPB.

Just his trying got him nowhere, so he's out of there.

I'm sure it was a difficult decision for him -- perception of quitting, etc. -- and wouldn't be surprised if it were a measure of HOW fed up he is.

But, again, I think that would probably be the most he does -- resign, and then keep quiet.

We'll see.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:32 am
Quote:
Well , maybe YOU liked him, but remember Jessee Jackson calling him basiclly an Uncle Tom along with Harry Belefonte? Or How about the DNC calling Powell UN speech the lowpoint of his career?

Um, the UN speech WAS the low point of his career.

When you go in front of a crowd of respected world leaders, and make a fool of yourself by presenting false information as facts, it doesn't get much lower than that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:33 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Whipping post of the left??!!?

He was the only member of the admin that any of us liked!

Cycloptichorn

what's your point? The term Uncle Tom was motivated to sting racially and out of line, but the point that he sold himself to bushco through pandering and helping perpetuate the lies of his superiors, even though I believe he knew they were lies even as he helped sell them is well taken and accurate.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
sozobe wrote:
I think he actually tried, BPB.

Just his trying got him nowhere, so he's out of there.

I'm sure it was a difficult decision for him -- perception of quitting, etc. -- and wouldn't be surprised if it were a measure of HOW fed up he is.

But, again, I think that would probably be the most he does -- resign, and then keep quiet.

We'll see.

If he'd really tried, if he was really a man of integrity, he would have publicly resigned his post early on and stated his reasons why clearly and with the courage he had displayed throughout his career up until that point. He chose to haul water for bushco instead. End of story.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:38 am
Yeah, I think he could have acted with more integrity yet -- but I think he believed he was doing what was best for the country by exerting what influence he could from the inside. We're all saying that the new person will be even worse. Once it became clear that he wouldn't be allowed to exert influence from the inside, he decided to resign.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:40 am
"...to transform the United State from the country we grew up in ..."

Don't know about you, Bear. But the country I grew up in was segregated with women being second class citizens.

I prefer my country as it has evolved, not as it was.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:40 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

When you go in front of a crowd of respected world leaders, and make a fool of yourself by presenting false information as facts, it doesn't get much lower than that.

Cycloptichorn

So even YOU are calling him a liar?

The main point of his UN speech was to outline that Iraq NEVER LIVED UP TO IT"S CEASE FIRE AGREEMENT! He told the UN that their resolutions were useless unless backup by force.

And for telling it like it is, you call him a liar??? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:54 am
Powell can now write his book, and quit lying for these bastards......

He is an honorable man!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:58 am
If by 'telling it like it is' you mean 'presenting facts straight from a 1994 graduate thesis on Iraq, by way of 'British intelligence', which happened to be extremely untrue' then you might be right.

Face it - the same thing would happen with anyone, anytime such a speech was given, woiyo; if you gave a speech, and the point of the speech was good, but you presented out-and-out lies as a part of your presentation, which part are people going to remember?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:59 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

So even YOU are calling him a liar?

The main point of his UN speech was to outline that Iraq NEVER LIVED UP TO IT"S CEASE FIRE AGREEMENT! He told the UN that their resolutions were useless unless backup by force.

And for telling it like it is, you call him a liar??? Rolling Eyes

What made him a liar was showing evidence that was false and there was already proof that it was false before he showed it.

Sometimes I feel like I state the obvious except the obvious seems to escape some people.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:00 am
me and clyp must be on at the same time. didn't mean to basically copy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:01 am
Not a copy, hon!

Collabarating evidence, is all! Now we're multiple-sourced on this argument.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:07 am
Quote:
U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation, a senior administration official said.

... thereby making my day a lot worse. Powell was one of the few members I could respect in the cabinet of Bush junior, even when I disagreed with him. I believe he could be a good president and hope this won't be the end of his political carreer; but given the current state of the Republican party, it probably is.

<falling into depression>
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:08 am
http://www.state.gov/p/nea/disarm/

Last November 8, this Council passed Resolution 1441 by a unanimous vote. The purpose of that resolution was to disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction. Iraq had already been found guilty of material breach of its obligations stretching back over 16 previous resolutions and 12 years.

EVERYTHING Powell discussed supported the US position that Iraq was in violation of the cease fire agmt.

Only the cynical and naive drew a conclusion otherwise.

Chirp on!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:11 am
I would use the same label for Powell as the other members of the RoveCo (a privately held corp registered in the Bahamas) Steppenfetchit.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:19 am
It'll be interesting, for sure, if Powell ever does write a book with a sincere descripion of his term as Sec'y of State. Then we'd know what he really knew about the situation in Iraq when he gave his UN speech.

But I doubt we'll ever see such a book. Once a good soldier, always a good soldier, I strongly suspect.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:37 am
Powell was the administrations sacrificial lamb. It is amazing that he stayed on this long.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:43 am
have had my coffee now...don't know what I was thinking...powell principled american hero......bush savior of the world...I hear and obey.......
0 Replies