How to let go 4 years after an affair

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 06:21 am
I had an affair with a married man. I know that this was probably one of my biggest personal let downs of my life so far. I don’t know exactly what I was thinking getting into and then staying in this situation for nearly a year. There is absolutely no way that in my sound, logical, mind that I would ever consider having an affair with a married man and the thought of others doing it repulses me. And yet this hangs over me like a ton of bricks with guilt and a significant amount of shame. I struggle to look back at this time and feel compassion or understanding of myself. I just look back now with so much anger towards myself that I let myself get in that position and took it for so long. Although there were reasons to continue to see him after he told me that he was married I can’t justify my actions with any of them. I want to move on from this pain so that it doesn’t continue to have an impact on my marriage. I have become so suspicious of my husband doing it to me that it’s consuming me. The irony is that the affair happened before I met him, while I was single, but because I still carry the burden of shame it’s seriously affecting our relationship and my health now. It’s like I am continuing to punish myself long after it’s happened and I want to stop. Any suggestions on moving forward would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,404 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 06:46 am
@stirflow83,
That was then, now is now.

Your husband is your "now" man.

Every man is different. There must be some qualities that one has, the other doesn't. I suspect that you look back with longing for some feelings, and feel guilty about it today.

This issue has more to do with your current feelings in your marriage than from the past.

How are things - really - with you and your husband?

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 07:13 am
@stirflow83,
This is a really good issue to hash out in therapy.
0 Replies