Dear Jesus...Please Protect Me While I Slaughter Innocents..

Steppenwolf

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
Testy testy. Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:08 am
he said testy...heh heh....
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:13 am
gungasnake wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

That one strikes me as unarguable, and I'd not refer to it as a scare. People died. What that was was [sic]....

You're the one in need of English lessions here and not me. The thing might have looked slightly better with a comma after the first 'was' but it's still perfectly good use of language.

I basically stop reading after something like that. If you want to repost your screed without the unwarranted condescension, I'll read it.

I never said you needed an English lesson. Go ahead and read my post. I've edited out the "[sic]" to soothe you. Smile

And no, I have no need for English "lessions," although "lessons" are always educational and welcome. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
English lessions are the worst. Especially when they get infected.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
JanW wrote:
Iraq: Absolutely unjust, and the military ethicists that I know personally think so, too. Pre-emptive war is justified according to just war theory (JWT) if the threat is OBVIOUS and IMMINENT. In retrospect, the threat clearly wasn't obvious; it couldn't have been! There were no WMD. Imminent? If the danger had been truly imminent, we could not have waited as long as we did to begin the fight. Preventive war is the best shot this war has of being justified, and a preventive war (fight now to avoid future war) has a much higher standard of proof than pre-emptive war (which is considered emergency self-defense). Preventive war in Iraq would probably not be at all justified without the support of the Security Council of the UN. Humanitarian Intervention? Not justified according to JWT if the human rights violations (in this case mass murder) is over (and it was over in Iraq according to the Human Rights people).

Very interesting Posts JanW, Thanks. I've never heard of Just War Theory (JWT) before.

It has always been my assumption that the war in Iraq was not initiated on a single premise of WMD's, or even on the direct connection to terrorism, but on the strategic value of gaining control of sufficient oil reserves and geopolitical territory sufficient to be able to exert influence against the groundswell of fundamentalist activity coming out of the MidEast, specifically Saudi Arabia.

Is there any JWT support for using a strategic war to affect socio political changes in the world? Bear in mind that the stakes are very high in this particular situation because the likelyhood of future terrorist activity leading to nuclear attacks on US cities is very high.

Thanks,
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:48 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:

The article you site hardly provides "unarguable" evidence, and even the author doesn't leap to such conclusions--he presents it as a possibility. If a mere "possibility" was enough of a threshold of evidence for you, I doubt you'd be such a vigorous detractor of oil conspiracies, which I agree are likely false.

As I noted, there is a confluence of several kinds of evidence, one being the nature of the anthrax in question and the others mainly amounting to linkage between the 9-11 trerrorists, the anthrax attacks, and the Baathist government of Iraq.

The FBI investigation was laughable. The one American scientist who was the focus of the investigation early on told the investigators that if he were stupid enough to have done that, then he would either be dying of anthrax as they spoke or would have the antibodies from the vaccine in his blood and he offered to take a blood test in front of them, on the spot, their facilities or his. That was in fact unanswerable and there has been no news of there being any other American suspects since then. As of right now, there is zero reason to suspect any American of involvement in the anthrax attacks which followed 9-11.

The evidence involving the 9-11 hijackers on the other hand, is overwhelming. The first case of anthrax after 9-11 (Bob Stevens) showed up within miles of where several hijackers stayed JUST BEFORE 9/11; the odds against that just happening by chance are astronomical.

The last previous case of anthrax in a human in the United States prior to 9-11 had been about 30 years prior to that.

There are other coincidences. For instance, the wife of the editor of the sun (where Stevens worked) also had contact with the hijackers in that she rented them the place they stayed.

Atta and the hijackers flew planes out of an airport in the vicinity and asked about crop dusters on more than one occasion. Atta in fact had sought a loan to try and modify a crop duster for 'business purposes'.

Atta and several of the hijackers in this group also sought medical aid just prior to 9/11 for skin lesions that the doctors who saw them now say looked like anthrax lesions.

Quote:

In regards to the assertion that "nobody other than Saddam Hussein has ever created any sort of an anthrax that sophisticated," you are plainly wrong; the U.S. has the capability, and our labs have produced the EXACT strain used.

You've totally missed the point on this one. It's not a question of 'strain'; pretty much everybody who ever did any sort of a study of anthrax had that same strain to work with since that's what American labs provided.

The question is the manner and extent to which the stuff had been weaponized. The article I linked to did in fact speak of this;

Quote:

Another article dealing with the Iraqi anthrax program and the nature of the materials used in the attacks which followed 9-11 is here:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29164

Quote:

After Oklahoma City, I'm surprised that you wouldn't consider the possibility (likelihood?) of a domestic terrorist in one of the many labs that has had access to domestically produced anthrax. It's intellectually dishonest to present your argument in terms of the "unarguable," and notably, no one in the current administration has taken such a strong stance on this.

As I mentioned, there are no American suspects at the time and I have an impossible time believing that any American who had anything to do with those attacks would not be in prison as we speak. With that many cops looking for something, you can run, but you can't hide.

Other than that, I also have a difficult time seeing how the administration could have taken a stand much stronger than they actually have, i.e. invading the country, overrunning it, and eliminating the former government with extreme prejudice.

Quote:

Moreover, I urge you to look at your initial dispute with JanW. You asked about whether Kosovo or Iraq were "just" invasions, and then proceeded to take a consequentialist perspective about the merits of Kosovo. You argued that we left a mess in our wake. Is this the same perspective you take on Iraq--also a mess, or have some of your arguments been leaning more towards a priori justifications (hypothetical ties to terrorists, the crimes of Saddam, and anthrax ties to Saddam)? You should remember that JanW's initial post was about "jus ad bellum," not about the actual success of the wars.

There are two kinds of messes in this world, i.e. avoidable messes and unavoidable messes. The realpolitik reasons for Kosovo did not add up to a rational case and the pentagon told Clinton not to do it. Apparently Gerorge Soros and some of the new order guys wanted a test case of some sort and some people claim Clinton was looking for something to take Chinagate off off of the news. I do not know of any reason for us to have done Kosovo. I do not know of any situation which would be worse today had we simply ignored the problem.

Iraq on the other hand was unavoidable for all the reasons I've noted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

way to welcome a new member gungasnake....gracious, skillful....and certainly revealing of yourself...good work.....

I was merely noting my surprise that somebody who taught such subjects would come to such conclusions.

Those who can't come up with rational arguments try to villify...

That needs to go on the Post of the day thread! It is such a classic.

Keep 'em coming, Gunga - I need cheering up this morning.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 03:39 pm
Again in my view, somebody whose idea of debate tactics is to try to villify the other side isn't really capable of adding anything meaningful to the discussion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 03:47 pm
This is the delicious irony, Gunga - that YOU say that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
that ranks up there with "I hate bigots"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
Well, Gunga would probably say "exterminate bigots".
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
alleged sophistication of the milling could lead down another path than the one you follow: the U.S. weapons program. This might just be a remnant of old U.S. weapons, or it could have been created by someone with knowledge of U.S. milling and surfactant technologies. Some have drawn such a conclusion. See, e.g., http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991490.

More importantly, it was my understanding that the alleged sophistication of the anthrax preparation was in doubt. See, e.g., http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,36800,00.html. Even if the preparation was sophisticated, some have also argued that this level of milling and preparation could be achieved with relatively crude instruments. See, e.g., http://www.anthraxinvestigation.com/wp020803.html. These sources also favor a domestic link to the anthrax attacks.

I'm not arguing that this is conclusive evidence either way. In fact, I'm merely arguing that it's inconclusive, and subject to debate. For whatever reasons, the FBI is focusing on domestic sources, and again, I find it difficult to imagine that the government would weaken its own case against Iraq if there were really compelling arguments.

It seems I have the easier argument here. Claiming that something is "unarguable" requires overcoming a strong burden of proof, and no one in any of the articles that either you or I have cited has come to such a hard conclusion either way. On the other hand, claiming that something is debatable merely requires me to cast a shadow of a doubt on your case. Even your own sources admit such a doubt.

Gungasnake wrote:
There are two kinds of messes in this world, i.e. avoidable messes and unavoidable messes. The realpolitik reasons for Kosovo did not add up to a rational case and the pentagon told Clinton not to do it. Apparently Gerorge Soros and some of the new order guys wanted a test case of some sort and some people claim Clinton was looking for something to take Chinagate off off of the news. I do not know of any reason for us to have done Kosovo. I do not know of any situation which would be worse today had we simply ignored the problem.

Iraq on the other hand was unavoidable for all the reasons I've noted.

Finally, the "unavoidable" nature of Iraq is merely a conclusion; one certainly not properly founded on the weight of your anthrax argument, if that is what you're implying. Factually, we clearly could have not gone to Iraq, and few people find the circumstantial evidence you've offered totally compelling. The question is still whether the benefits outweigh the costs, and stating that one conflict was "avoidable" and the other was not is simply avoiding the question by firmly clinging to a debatable premise.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:10 pm
I have a bumper sticker that says 'Stop discrimination against women! Bitches hate that.'

Gunga, you couldn't debate your way out of a paper bag. Truly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:13 pm
careful cyclo...we don't anyone to tell teacher on you...
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:31 pm
willow_tl wrote:
what I found even more impressive is JanW ignored the obvious slam attempt..which makes him/her A#1 in my book....welcome again JanW.

Hey, you don't teach philosophy in the Bible Belt without developing a thick skin!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:42 pm
JanW wrote:
willow_tl wrote:
what I found even more impressive is JanW ignored the obvious slam attempt..which makes him/her A#1 in my book....welcome again JanW.

Hey, you don't teach philosophy in the Bible Belt without developing a thick skin!

word....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:46 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
Gungasnake:

Regarding the anthrax question, you've actually brought up some good material. But this is all still circumstantial evidence, and you appear to have missed my point. My point was that it's "arguable," and it certainly is. I find the theory about the FBI posited by you and the article you cite perplexing. Why would the U.S. government ignore leads on a crime that could help justify Iraq?

I've heard that question and I have friends who refuse to believe the thing for just that reason; nonetheless I believe there are real answers.

I honestly believe that we were not in condition to go after Iraq immediately and that nobody wants to admit that such was the case. I also believe that nobody wants to admit or publically say anything about the fact that such a tiny amount of that stuff caused that much hysteria, and I think this has to do with public safety.

Woodward's book, as I noted, appears to agree with me as to the condition of our military after W. took over.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:50 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:

It seems I have the easier argument here...

If you were to ONLY consider the question of the sophistication of the anthrax in question, perhaps. Nonetheless given the overwhelming weight of evidence implicating the 9-11 hijackers, the question becomes where would those guys have gone for anthrax, and any answer other than Saddam Hussein becomes highly problematical. Why go on any sort of a scavenger hunt when the top guy in the business is sitting right there in your own back yard??
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:58 pm
Gunga, you silly goose, "underwhelming" and "overwhelming", are not synonyms. Also "evidence" is generally used to denote facts submitted to demonstrate a legal "truth" rather than a fantastic ( Based on or existing only in fantasy) proposition.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
[quote="It has always been my assumption that the war in Iraq was not initiated on a single premise of WMD's, or even on the direct connection to terrorism, but on the strategic value of gaining control of sufficient oil reserves and geopolitical territory sufficient to be able to exert influence against the groundswell of fundamentalist activity coming out of the MidEast, specifically Saudi Arabia.

Is there any JWT support for using a strategic war to affect socio political changes in the world? Bear in mind that the stakes are very high in this particular situation because the likelyhood of future terrorist activity leading to nuclear attacks on US cities is very high.

Thanks,[/quote]

Aaargh. Someday I'll get the hang of the quotes!

There are a number of separable issues that you bring up here.

Oil Reserves: I'm not sure that gaining control of oil reserves is related to anything other than economic control.

Geopolitical territory to exert influence: This is most closely related to an approach to war called "realism." Realism is an alternative approach to JWT, and is basically the claim that each country does (and ought) act in its own interests, period. Until the collapse of the Soviet Union, the most common realist position was that the goal is to maintain a "balance of power" in a region. With this approach in mind, it is easy to understand how the US would support a person/country that was fighting communism in the 80s, and then, when the threat of communism disappeared, oppose that government when national interests dictate another goal (such as establishing mlitary bases in the Middle East, or cheap oil). (So cheap oil could be either a goal of "realism" or purely economic--of a mixture of both.)

The problem comes when a government (ours) acts with a "realist" motive, but claims to be acting according to Just War Theory. This happens quite often; it puts a moral gloss on what is pure self-interest.

Can JWT ever support socio-political changes? This is a very important question on which there is not a lot of consensus. Can JWT support a war to end genocide? Yes, in theory, under certain conditions. Can JWT support a war to promote democracy? Probably not. For both theoretical and prudential reasons, a country has little chance of becoming a viable democracy if the impetus doesn't come from within. Further, arguments can be made that other forms of government are as good as, or better than, democracy--so who are we to impose our views on others. But, as I said, there is a lot of discussion going on in terms of what, if anything, justifies humanitarian intervention, regime change, and/or nation-building.

Sorry for such a long message! My students often want to tell me to shut up, too!
0 Replies