Dear Jesus...Please Protect Me While I Slaughter Innocents..

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:01 pm
Larry434 wrote:
"better yet why don't they all do what their merciful and loving Gods actually say and put their weapons down and go the hell home....."

I think if you study the bible you will find many more passages where god is commanding his people to kill their enemies...man, woman, and child, and take their cities and land, than to put down there weapons and stay home.

Yes - that is the problem with stupid human-made religions where people projected their savagery (as well as their more loving impulses) onto a god 2,000 years ago - and are still haunted by the dreams of their ancestors made irreversible, to some, by irrational adherence to dogma.

I am of two minds on this stuff - on the one hand, good luck to the poor bastards on both sides with whatever comforts and helps them before they have to go and suffer, and do, unspeakable things to other humans. I cannot imagine the horror of their position - and, given that I do not think we can unscramble this egg, I wish the American troops the cleanest and fastest victory imaginable and, if I prayed, I would be praying for every fellow being embroiled in this mess.

On the other hand, I find both sides' notion that some god - whom both sides claim to be merciful and loving (!) is looking down and backing their sides' army, unspeakably primitive and repulsive - and full of the blackest irony imaginable.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:10 pm
...the men of God, when they came to power, learned to play the game of power. The only difference between them and others is that, since they had a certitude of having a pipeline to God, they did not have to reckon at all with the uneasy factor of their conscience. The most destructive imperialisms of the world have been those of men who have elevated their preferences to the pinnacle of moral imperatives, and who have then confidently proceeded to impose those imperatives on others.

I certainly hope these soldiers aren't malleable enough to have been shaped by Dubya.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:11 pm
"god is love" can you feel the irony?
"I can feel it lord, I can feel it like the balm of gilead cursing through my loins" and with his m-14 he was the annointed one singing "I don't need no stinkin' jaw of an ass, I got napalm" and there was death in the land and god was pleased (king midas version of the scriptures)
How much is a barrel of oil on the gold standard today? Will it buy me happiness?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:15 pm
"pretty presumptious to pray to God for assistance in an endeavor that kills people........"

No skin off your nose if they pray before going into battle is it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:18 pm
Well, all I can say is that I hate the history we have of killing each other over religion. And this war in Iraq has strong over-tones of just that - a religious war. At least right now it does.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:21 pm
Well, at least the killing will be done in the name of jesus and freedom. We all gotta die sometime. Really folks this is just gods way of telling the Iraqi's to slow down and take a long rest.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:31 pm
It is easy for me to understand the soldier's need for comfort, especially divine comfort and support for murdering other human beings. The other guys are praying to their god as well for the same comfort and support. It reminds me of the old kid games of soldier or cowboy and Indian--as soon as one was killed, he or she would say, "OK, I'm a new soldier now" and the play would go on. It's magic. Divine. Almighty God can heal you if you go out and kill. Religion is the bloodiest evil rationalization for killing known to the human race. Manifest destiny anyone?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:26 pm
While I can understand the disdain of this war, it's a pretty ugly idea that most soldiers joined up with the desire to KILL. I know a few WWII and vietnam vets, I don't know many soldiers, past or present, american, canadian or otherwise who prayed to god that he go out and kill with celetial blessings. They prayed to god, mostly that they and their families would be safe and the war would be over soon and yes, that the other guy die rather than him. ( I don't know any female military personel, that I'm aware of.)
Bush undoubtably does though. It makes for good press.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:29 pm
Larry434 wrote:
"pretty presumptious to pray to God for assistance in an endeavor that kills people........"

no skin off your nose if they die period is it?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:34 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

no skin off your nose if they die period is it?

Silly response...answering a question with an unrelated question
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:36 pm
squinney wrote:
Larry said

Quote:
think if you study the bible you will find many more passages where god is commanding his people to kill their enemies...man, woman, and child, and take their cities and land, than to put down there weapons and stay home.

Such as?

Read your bible, if you have one.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:37 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what do soldiers do fedral? what is their primary mission? why are they taught hand to hand, how to shoot and reload fast, how to maximize enemy kill counts.....why are the most elite members of special services trained in the art of dispatching as many as possible as skillfully as possible?

I don't have contempt for our soldiers but neither do I have a one dimensional viewpoint on the world good buddy......and if I was going into a battle where projected casualties were through the roof and I knew I was going to be killing people including civilians I wouldn't have the nerve to ask Jesus to watch my ass.. I'd show some hair and some accountability and take my chances..... that would be like me going out to commit adultery and asking Jesus to make sure I found a hot piece of ass......some things Jesus doesn't particularly want to put his stamp of approval on....

Your choice, as it is the choice of others to pray. Show a little tolerance.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:43 pm
Larry434 wrote:
squinney wrote:
Larry said

Quote:
think if you study the bible you will find many more passages where god is commanding his people to kill their enemies...man, woman, and child, and take their cities and land, than to put down there weapons and stay home.

Such as?

nice reply there Larry, just the right amount of sanctimonious holier than thou patronization.....I bet that plays well at the local VFW Lodge.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:44 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what do soldiers do fedral? what is their primary mission? why are they taught hand to hand, how to shoot and reload fast, how to maximize enemy kill counts.....why are the most elite members of special services trained in the art of dispatching as many as possible as skillfully as possible?

I don't have contempt for our soldiers but neither do I have a one dimensional viewpoint on the world good buddy......and if I was going into a battle where projected casualties were through the roof and I knew I was going to be killing people including civilians I wouldn't have the nerve to ask Jesus to watch my ass.. I'd show some hair and some accountability and take my chances..... that would be like me going out to commit adultery and asking Jesus to make sure I found a hot piece of ass......some things Jesus doesn't particularly want to put his stamp of approval on....

Your choice, as it is the choice of others to pray. Show a little tolerance.

The showing of a little tolerance and no one would have to pray to be protected from being killed in battle while they killed others in battle....now there's a sensible application for tolerance....
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
nice reply there Larry,

Thank you.

just the right amount of sanctimonious holier than thou patronization

Nothing holy about me.....I am not a subscriber to any religious belief.

I bet that plays well at the local VFW Lodge....

Wouldn't know....never been in one.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:57 pm
Larry wrote:

I had a bible, but when the word got out that the anti-Bush people would be burning the bible I did as I was told -- burned it to a crisp.

Now when I need some spiritual advice I have to resort to my cookbooks.

Same difference.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:01 pm
when I need spiritual advice I contact Madame Rose for guidance from the otherworld and hot oil massage. Always a happy ending.......
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:10 pm
Do you suppose Larry is praying for us as we speak, Bear?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:12 pm
I'm pretty sure he's preying for me, he's just that kinda guy, he is.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Do you suppose Larry is praying for us as we speak, Bear?

I think more likely he's sitting in his chair polishing off his eighth whiskey sour and dreaming of doing medical experiments on non believers without anesthesia....
0 Replies