Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

Ethel2

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
Thanks.......we've been asking for that all day........

bother.........too much wine with dinner. I'm going to drown my miseries for the night. See you all later..............

Sofia.......cut out the crap with the flip flop sh!t. If you don't know it was all rhetoric, then you should. Moving on from this...............
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:57 pm
I think YOU guys are the ones who should take a look at what happened to your Minority Leader and your seats in the Senate, and house--and YOU Dems cut the flip-flopping sh!t.

It cost you a lot. If you don't know people pay attention to that by now, you should.

I know rhetoric, Lola. I just call it bullshit.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:01 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:

Wow! Steppenwolf gets it! Are you a Democrat? If you are, the party is lucky to have you.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:03 pm
Diane wrote:
It hit home, especially after reading the book by Thomas Frank titled What's the Matter With Kansas?

Thomas Frank describes how Republican corporate America has convinced blue collar workers and poor farmers to blame the so-called leftist values of both coasts for the decline of middle class values and religious beliefs. As long as they have someone to blame for their loss of jobs and stability, they fail to recognize that the profits of major corporations are made at their expense. Deregulation, lower taxes, out sourcing and loss of unions have completed the fall of what once was a stable and secure way of life, yet these are all popular issues with the poorest in the heartland.

Those poor saps in Kansas. They don't realize how much lower taxes have hurt them. Worse they foolishly blame the self-appinted Democrat blue state elites (Academeia, the media, etc.)for the decline in their prevailing moral values instead of the true corporate culprits (Microsoft, General Motors, etc.). What in the hell has this myopic jerk been smoking???

Here's another part I really like
Quote:
Anti-abortionists and fundamentalists, mostly from the lower classes, have lost the most in a society ruled by corporate interests; yet they continue to follow the loudest voices, which lead them into further misery.

Those poor, ignorant, lower class slobs just don't know what's good for them. They need self appointed, Democrat wise men to lead them out of the wilderness.

Here Diane makes a valid point that gets to the heart of the matter. But will they get it? I think not.
Quote:
We have lost touch with the very people who made this party strong and honest. Now it has become so goddamed politically correct that its personality has morphed into something almost unrecognizable and nebulous.

But then she drifts into hopeful fantasy and illusion.
Quote:
Maybe we should reconsider Dean, who at least has original ideas and the honesty to talk about them openly. Then, four years later, Barack Obama will be seasoned and ready for a real revolution.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:14 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Wow! Steppenwolf gets it! Are you a Democrat? If you are, the party is lucky to have you.

An independent. I would like to see both parties make major reforms.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:14 pm
I'll tell you truthfully-- there is fertile ground for a Dem party that takes on a few issues that the GOP fails at--but they can't do it by completely ignoring the South, as they have been doing, and by running hatefully and vengefully against the GOP.

Steppenwolf is right. You WANT TO LURE SOME OF THOSE PEOPLE.

I know we suck at environmental issues...but Kyoto was just wrong. The Dems should have some guys locked in a basement somewhere, pounding away a great alternative to Kyoto--and present it to the world and score some statesmanship points. Meanwhile, you guys need to groom a crop of people in military ability. I think you need to stop demonizing Christianity. Obviously, this was a big factor--and not just with the vocal far right--but Middle America. At least be as inclusive toward them as you are other minorities.

<thinking>

Steppenwolf-- I want two strong parties that balance one another. I think the Dems are lucky to have a forward thinker like you. I hope those in Dem party power are doing the kind of examination you are.

Remember the Contract With America--the project spearheaded by Gingrich? You guys need to do that. Formulate a contract. Something definable America can look at, and get to know what Dems stand for again. You guys have been REACTING for too long. You need to ACT--but in a positive way--not a negative reaction to the GOP. Get off the defensive--and be proactive.

(My last assist <smile>)

One last hint--"soak the rich" will never work in America.

(Rove may revoke my membership card.)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:21 pm
Since my family is from the so-called heartland and some of them are fundamentalists, I have seen the poverty soak them clean as they proudly claim to be able to pull themselves up by their badly tattered bootstraps!! They always break just when they start to say "I told you so!"

Taxes lowered to help the corporations while the little people get screwed. Yep, that's the American way.

Too tired for this. Good night to all, even the most misguided among you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yep, nimh, that's back to the social AND personal moral values thing.

I recommend this, some very interesting viewpoints and ideas, changed my perspective on several things:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec04/divided_11-03.html

Feingold has the record and the ideas for it, but I think he'd come off as too wonky/liberal/Jewish to get the people we're talking about.

I love the idea of Obama, but he's had a charmed life so far. He didn't have any real opposition on his way to his senate seat, he hasn't gone through the wringer. If he's seriously challenged -- but prevails -- in 2006, maybe.

I don't really know where best to begin discussing this election. But this excerpt from soz's link to the PBS interviews may be a start...
Quote:
BARBARA EHRENREICH: Yes, that is part of it. I agree with what Jim just said, that we shouldn't frame this as moral values versus lack of moral values. I think most people who voted for Kerry were very much driven by a moral evaluation of the war, a moral evaluation of Bush's economic policies. There is nothing in the Bible that supports tax cuts for the wealthy along with social service cuts for the poor. That's an inversion of all those scriptural statements on poverty that Jim Wallis was just referring to.

And, yes, we do have a polarization here between a kind of religion, evangelical often fundamentalist Christianity and the notion of a more secular or at least ecumenical intolerant society. But this kind of religious polarization is happening globally right now. Only in most places the so-called religious end of it is Islamic fundamentalists; here it is Christian fundamentalists.

On another thread here, one contributor held that Kerry was either Satan or a minion of Satan. How different is that from what is being taught in the madrasses of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan?

Another poster here recently held that the biblical flood was literally true and that the plausible source of the flood was either a) a water canopy suspended above earth or 2) a transfer of water from Mars to Earth (which also explained, he thought, the missing Martian oceans). How different from that is the 'education' of a Libyan I met who was utterly astounded upon reading a simple explanation of how the human eye works? His education, he told me, had been concerned with the evil of the west and the holiness of the Muslim world, with the literal truth of his scripture, where science was not represented...particularly where it might conflict with religious ideas.

It is unsettling to consider that what is happening here, reflected in this election, is not significantly different from the religious extremism and the return to tribal affiliations that we see in those cultures which rightly frighten us.

The temptation for societies to organize themselves repressively - that is, to insist on uniformity and to demonize changes from traditional ways - seems likely to become stronger as populations increase, as internal systems become more complex, as cultures mingle, and as new knowledge and ideas place old 'knowledge' and ideas in jeopardy. Each one of these factors is a very real part of modern life.

All of which makes this turn in American politics that much more unhappy. Above all countries, is has been America which has represented the promise of free thought, of social and religious liberties, of protection of those less fortunate or of those in minority, of charity and inclusion, and not least, of pragmatic and clear-sighted perceptions of the world. Each of these hopes is now in no small danger.

To say, as is becoming the truism of the day, that this was an election which pitted one value-set against another value-set is rather like saying that the problems of Ireland have been values problems, or that the discord between Tutsis and Hutus was a values discord, or that the difference between the Klan and Martin Luther King were values differences. Sure. But there's not much in the way of insight to be had here. What social conflicts are not a matter of divergent values?

"What went wrong?"..."what to do?"...

Clearly, what I'm saying is that what went wrong was complexity and change. The consequences, in America, are as follows.

A liberal social movement began in the sixties which was profound and highly visible. No less profound, but much less visible, was a counter-movement from the right. Krugman, Alterman, and many others have been pointing to this second, or reactionary, movement for some time. Now, it has its own media, its own local organizations, and its own educational resources and institutions. It has its own cultural icons and mythologies and it has become highly adept at working the gears of governance to consolidate power and to enforce internal cohesion to maintain power and gather more. It 'understands' that it is at war. It is not interested in compromise or moderation.

What to do? Biting at each other, like you guys are doing here, probably isn't the best prescription. Dagmarka's laugh remedy seems rather more productive. I'm choosing apathy, perhaps temporarily, perhaps not. Or, I can go with the twisted joy of irony, as with the tax cuts to the top 1% and with the recent surge in the stock market, my friends Lola, Dianne, and dyslexia are now more wealthy than they would be otherwise while McG and Foxfyre are poorer.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:29 pm
Diane, you might very well be right about underlying economic and social conditions in some rural areas of America. I just don't think that most people see it that way, and coming to terms with that perception is critical. If you're right, then people need to come to those conclusions themselves, without the aid of a party that they recently rejected.

I say this with the strongest respect--but I cannot agree. Good night.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:12 am
An entirely reasonable option...

The United States of Canada
and
Jesusland

New North American Map
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:35 am
A second map, for comparison...

Slaveland
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:40 am
Can a people that believes more fervently in the Virgin Birth than in evolution still be called an Enlightened nation?

Quote:
The Day the Enlightenment Went Out
By GARRY WILLS

Published: November 4, 2004

This election confirms the brilliance of Karl Rove as a political strategist. He calculated that the religious conservatives, if they could be turned out, would be the deciding factor. The success of the plan was registered not only in the presidential results but also in all 11 of the state votes to ban same-sex marriage. Mr. Rove understands what surveys have shown, that many more Americans believe in the Virgin Birth than in Darwin's theory of evolution.

This might be called Bryan's revenge for the Scopes trial of 1925, in which William Jennings Bryan's fundamentalist assault on the concept of evolution was discredited. Disillusionment with that decision led many evangelicals to withdraw from direct engagement in politics. But they came roaring back into the arena out of anger at other court decisions - on prayer in school, abortion, protection of the flag and, now, gay marriage. Mr. Rove felt that the appeal to this large bloc was worth getting President Bush to endorse a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage (though he had opposed it earlier).

The results bring to mind a visit the Dalai Lama made to Chicago not long ago. I was one of the people deputized to ask him questions on the stage at the Field Museum. He met with the interrogators beforehand and asked us to give him challenging questions, since he is too often greeted with deference or flattery.

The only one I could think of was: "If you could return to your country, what would you do to change it?" He said that he would disestablish his religion, since "America is the proper model." I later asked him if a pluralist society were possible without the Enlightenment. "Ah," he said. "That's the problem." He seemed to envy America its Enlightenment heritage.

Which raises the question: Can a people that believes more fervently in the Virgin Birth than in evolution still be called an Enlightened nation?

America, the first real democracy in history, was a product of Enlightenment values - critical intelligence, tolerance, respect for evidence, a regard for the secular sciences. Though the founders differed on many things, they shared these values of what was then modernity. They addressed "a candid world," as they wrote in the Declaration of Independence, out of "a decent respect for the opinions of mankind." Respect for evidence seems not to pertain any more, when a poll taken just before the elections showed that 75 percent of Mr. Bush's supporters believe Iraq either worked closely with Al Qaeda or was directly involved in the attacks of 9/11.

The secular states of modern Europe do not understand the fundamentalism of the American electorate. It is not what they had experienced from this country in the past. In fact, we now resemble those nations less than we do our putative enemies.

Where else do we find fundamentalist zeal, a rage at secularity, religious intolerance, fear of and hatred for modernity? Not in France or Britain or Germany or Italy or Spain. We find it in the Muslim world, in Al Qaeda, in Saddam Hussein's Sunni loyalists. Americans wonder that the rest of the world thinks us so dangerous, so single-minded, so impervious to international appeals. They fear jihad, no matter whose zeal is being expressed.

It is often observed that enemies come to resemble each other. We torture the torturers, we call our God better than theirs - as one American general put it, in words that the president has not repudiated.

President Bush promised in 2000 that he would lead a humble country, be a uniter not a divider, that he would make conservatism compassionate. He did not need to make such false promises this time. He was re-elected precisely by being a divider, pitting the reddest aspects of the red states against the blue nearly half of the nation. In this, he is very far from Ronald Reagan, who was amiably and ecumenically pious. He could address more secular audiences, here and abroad, with real respect.

In his victory speech yesterday, President Bush indicated that he would "reach out to the whole nation," including those who voted for John Kerry. But even if he wanted to be more conciliatory now, the constituency to which he owes his victory is not a yielding one. He must give them what they want on things like judicial appointments. His helpers are also his keepers.

The moral zealots will, I predict, give some cause for dismay even to nonfundamentalist Republicans. Jihads are scary things. It is not too early to start yearning back toward the Enlightenment.

Garry Wills, an adjunct professor of history at Northwestern University, is the author of "St. Augustine's Conversion."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/04wills.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:47 am
Liberalism was set up by the Great Depression, a catastrophe which leveled the rich and poor to virtually the same playing field. It was a time when people were forced by circumstance to realize that no person is an island. Roosevelt's programs were for the most part a reflection of that. As succeeding generations become distanced from the Depression the more they revert to pre-Great Depression values, helped along by the liberal Democrats' abuse of their own power. People have reverted to their own natural selfish ways. What will it take to give liberalism a new start? Probably a catastrophe of like proportions. Which is not to say the liberals are wrong, necessarily, but they have the antiquated nature thing to overcome. Progress is always dragged down by societies not yet evolved in their thinking. It may be a few hundred years or more before humankind as a whole catches up to true progressive thinking.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:03 am
"Can a people that believes more fervently in the Virgin Birth than in evolution still be called an Enlightened nation?"

But of course. Both are theories...one is the Theory of Evolution, another a matter of faith in divine intervention of the Creator.

Neither has been conclusively proven right or wrong.

BTW, I personally favor the Theory of Evolution, but that is just my opinion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:22 am
Statistic of the Day...

In the election of 2004, more people voted to remove President Bush than has been the case with any other president in history.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:30 am
blatham wrote:
Statistic of the Day...

In the election of 2004, more people voted to remove President Bush than has been the case with any other president in history.

And, 3.5 million more voted to retain him than remove him and he won the electoral vote by a 6.5% margin.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:30 am
[quote="Larry434But of course. Both are theories...one is the Theory of Evolution, another a matter of faith in divine intervention of the Creator. [/quote]

I would say you misstate the case; one is a (religious) belief and the other is a (scientific) theory. A belief cannot be proven or disproven, while a theory builds on logical scientific arguments that can either prove or disprove it.

Creationism and Evolutionism cannot be compared, one is based on static, dogmatic dualism, while the other is based on logical and critical reflectivism. The thinking behind the first is diametrically opposed to the thinking behind the latter.

I would not be surprised if research would should that preference for the one or the other is statistically proportional to intelligence, but that is just what I surmise.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:33 am
Paaskynen wrote:
[quote="Larry434But of course. Both are theories...one is the Theory of Evolution, another a matter of faith in divine intervention of the Creator.

I would say you misstate the case; one is a (religious) belief and the other is a (scientific) theory. A belief cannot be proven or disproven, while a theory builds on logical scientific arguments that can either prove or disprove it.

Creationism and Evolutionism cannot be compared, one is based on static, dogmatic dualism, while the other is based on logical and critical reflectivism. The thinking behind the first is diametrically opposed to the thinking behind the latter.

I would not be surprised if research would should that preference for the one or the other is statistically proportional to intelligence, but that is just what I surmise.[/quote]

Both are theories.

A theory is defined in Webster as:

1 : the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
2 : abstract thought : SPECULATION
3 : the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>
4 a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn> b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances -- often used in the phrase in theory <in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>
5 : a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <wave theory of light>
6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an unproved assumption : CONJECTURE c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>

That definition includes beliefs does it not?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:41 am
blatham wrote:
Can a people that believes more fervently in the Virgin Birth than in evolution still be called an Enlightened nation?

Easily. The theory of evolution is a bunch of bullshit. A nation such as Haiti which believes in voodoo could be called enlightened compared to evolutionists.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:44 am
gungasnake wrote:
blatham wrote:

Easily. The theory of evolution is a bunch of bullshit. A nation such as Haiti which believes in voodoo could be called enlightened compared to evolutionists.

Interesting opinion. Please elaborate.
0 Replies