Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:06 pm
Thanks, Foxy!!! Check your e-mail.

Made me smile.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:14 pm
C'mon, JW, don't cut and paste some screed, give me YOUR opinions.

Tell me how the country is happier with Bush than they were with Clinton, when his poll numbers for Job Approval were consistently higher than Bush's are, even during his supposed 'scandal.' You are claiming that the polls are 'soft numbers,' but that doesn't mean anything except that they are bad for your case.

The country sure doesn't seem to be too happy with SS reform or your party's stance on interfering with private citizen's business, or even the war on Iraq; for such a strong party you can barely even get 50% approval on your strong issues Smile

And nothing you wrote disputes dys' great listing of numbers, in the slightest... how do you refute the fact that the economy has been much more robust under Dem leadership?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:32 pm
JustWonders wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
The nation is happier and calmer under a conservative administration, as opposed to the loony left Smile

Of course, if you are an unhappy, bitter loony-lefter, you should do something about it. Not just whine, complain, weep and gnash on a message board.

Just a helpful suggestion Smile

When you don't have anything to say, don't say anything.

Or you'll call in your pansy-tag team? ... Again? LOL

and for exactly the same reason but typing slower as there seems to be a problem with ability to read; When you don't have anything to say, don't say anything.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:04 pm
Lola wrote:
That's right JW. The election results will only work for you for so long. Eventually there's another election and 08 is not far away.

Keep falling back on your old techniques and watch while you lose the grip.

'06 is even closer. Unless the Dems get a grip well in advance of then, '07, '08, and likey '10 and '12 ain't gonna be much fun for 'em either.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
There's Timber right on time to say his usual. Anything new with you, Timber?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:15 pm
Nothin' special - springtime and its attendant farmchores are loomin' large and nigh, though. How's by you, Glamor Gams? I hear your co-Mahattanites Pale Male and Lola, your feathered namesake, are expectin'. Hope that goes well. Should be soon; gettin' close to time the local hawks, eagles, ospreys, and owls start hatchin'. I always like that.

Oh, and locally, for the State/Local election just past, Republicans again carried the Township and the County, turnout showin' a 19% increase over the previous election. I was most comfortably re-elected to the County and School Boards, not up for Township Board re-election till' next year, but reasonably confident. We're doin' well here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:24 am
BBB
Timber on a school board?---now THAT is scary!

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:29 am
Why might that be, BBB? Because I'm not a Librul?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:51 am
Apparently it's because you can't spell Liberal.

J/K

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:57 am
Yeah, that's prolly the deal.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 11:21 am
Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Apparently it's because you can't spell Liberal.

J/K

Cycloptichorn

Poor Timber, maybe he had spelling lessons from Dan Quayle.

However, I could overlook spelling errors (I've made one or two on A2K :wink: ). I respect the Constitution. What scares me are those in power who insist on destroying the line between separation of church and state---just for starters.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 11:26 am
Timber
Timber, I'm curious. What is it you find so offensive regarding the Age of Enlightenment?

BBB
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
There were two parallel Enlightenment movements operating contemporaneously. One in France and another in England and Scotland. The French movement was addicted to its concepts of "pure reason" and other like very theoretival concepts regarding the rights of man. The second in the British isles involved reason mitigated by concepts of virtue. It was the English and Scottish writers who most influenced the American revolutionaries, while the French thinkers dominated theirs.

Compare the results of the two revolutions one American and the other French. Ours produced a stable democracy that has endured for more than two centuries, achieving high degrees of freedom and prosperity. The French Revolution produced Robsopierre, the Terror, then Napoleon and finally the Bourbons again. They are on their sixth republic and constitution.

I think Timber was referring to the Frebnch Enlightenment so favored by champions of freedom such as Frederich the Great, Catherine the Great, Robspierre, and Napoleon. They produced tyranny, war, and death.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 12:56 pm
Yes. Scottish. We're still trying. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
There were two parallel Enlightenment movements operating contemporaneously. One in France and another in England and Scotland.

This statement puzzles me a than a bit - until now I've thaught that the French «Siècle De Lumières» and the German "Aufklärung" were translated into English as "Age of the Enlightened".

georgeob1 wrote:
I think Timber was referring to the Frebnch Enlightenment so favored by champions of freedom such as Frederich the Great, Catherine the Great, Robspierre, and Napoleon. They produced tyranny, war, and death.

When you name from Germany the Great, you certainly can't forget the others like , Lessing, Kant., Goethe, Schiller, Herder, Mendelssohn ... etc who all are in the same group of "outstanding examples of the Enlightenement as others.

Your naming of Catherine the Great and Napoleon as belonging to this period/group is a bit ... unusual.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
That was some heinous stuff during the French Revolution. Talk about barbarians...

If they could be half as horrific to other countries as they were to each other, they'd be as fabled as the Huns.

The Enlightenment led to streets bathed in blood in France. Nobody is forgetting the early philosophers or artists, but we don't have to go around equivocating the Fronde.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:55 pm
Lash wrote:
The Enlightenment led to streets bathed in blood in France.

Ah, yes, certainly.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:59 pm
I'm teaching Walter. They neglected to teach him about important foibles in French history. They were cramming his mind full of anti-American propaganda.

He is a quick study, I must say! I've got him up to 1792.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:13 pm
Do we play "History Mix"? Wanna join!

"Ah, those damn North Americans. They burnt each other as witches, they killed the native Americans, they killed each other in Civil Wars, and now they invaded Iraq to kill Iraqis! It's really just connecting the dots!"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:23 pm
This was quite sensible until Lash & I joined. I will read more and post less. Hope Lash will too.
0 Replies